• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

tumor necrosis factor inhibitors

dylemmaz

just had my cytokine panel drawn. i have high tumor necrosis factor, high interlueken 10, and high interlueken 2 receptor.

has anyone had success trying tumor necrosis factor inhibitors?

is there anything else i should consider trying based on these results?

dylemmaz

It discusses the TNF inhibitor etanercept.
interesting. thanks for linking that!

is the tnf inhibitor etanercept generally seen in a similar light as steroids, in that the risk comes from immune suppression that could lead to a worsening condition? or is it just that anti inflammatories in general, even ones without immune suppressive effects, are a risk?

i ask because all of the anti inflammatories are grouped together implying they all have similar risk. do they all have the same impact on the body (immune suppressive?) and therefore the risk is equal for all of them? or is it probably safer to take etanercept than it is to take the steroids? i don’t know much about these drugs at all so that’s why i ask! thank you kindly

pamojja

is there anything else i should consider trying

This was what former labtestanalyzer.com suggested (with references):

Exercising can help reduce TNF-a levels, as long as you do not exercise excessively [R]. Yoga and taichi are good options [R, R].

Meditating also helps lower your TNF-a levels [R].

You can lower TNF-a through a breath technique that involves hyperventilating for 30 seconds (or 30-40 breaths) followed by an exhale and holding your breath for as long as you are comfortable with, and finally a deep inhale held for 10 seconds (Wim Hof method) [R].

Cold exposure helps lower your TNF-a levels [R].

Getting a massage not only helps you relax, but can lower TNF-a levels as well [R].

Low-level laser therapy (LLLT) can lower TNF-a [R].

If your vitamin D levels are low, increase them via diet (salmon, milk, and eggs are high in vitamin D) or sun exposure. Vitamin D can lower TNF-a [R, R].

Changing your diet can help lower TNF-a. You can try:

Eating more legumes, like beans, peanuts, lentils, soy, etc. (unless you are lectin sensitive) and low glycemic index foods (foods that don’t cause great spikes in your blood glucose) [R]

Eating food that contains choline (eggs, liver, peanuts, etc.) and betaine (beets, spinach, bran, etc.) [R]

Ketogenic diets (a high fat, low carb, medium protein diet) [R]

Mediterranean diet (a diet where you eat more plant-based foods, use olive oil, and eat more lean protein) [R]

Elemental diets (a low- or no- protein liquid diet that has nutrients in forms that are easily digestible) [R]

Other foods and beverages that can decrease TNF-a levels include:

Tea [R, R]
Apples (including the peel) [R]
Sardines [R]
Honey [R]
Chocolate (which contains xanthines, caffeine, and polyphenols) [R, R]
Trehalose (a type of sugar) [R, R]
Garlic [R]
Berries, which contain cyanidin-3-O-β-glucoside (C3G) – some other fruits that contain this anthocyanin include blackcurrant pomace, European elderberry, red raspberries, plum, peach, lychee, and açaí [R]
Bitter melon [R]
Kamut (a type of wheat) [R]
Coriander / cilantro [R]
Tamarind [R]
Dandelion [R]
White mulberry [R]
Purple sweet potato [R]

Supplements that can help:

Licorice, which contains LicoA [R] and glycyrrhizin [R, R]
Tart Cherry [R]
Boswellia [R, R]
Hydroxytyrosol (found in olive leaf extract and olive oil) [R]
Luteolin [R]
Andrographolide (found in Andrographis paniculata) [R]
Fisetin [R]
Resveratrol [R]
Fish oil [R, R]
Lactoferrin [R]
Glycine [R]
Chromium [R]
Bromelain [R, R]
Berberine [R]
Silymarin (milk thistle extract) [R]
Chinese Skullcap / Baicalin [R, R]
Ginkgo [R]
Hesperidin [R]
Carnosine [R]
Phytosterols [R]
Astaxanthin [R]
Astragalus [R]
Indian Gooseberry (Amla) [R]
CoQ10 [R]
Echinacea [R]
Mastic gum [R]
Red clover [R]
Glucosamine [R]
Quercetin [R]
Rutin [R]
Myricetin [R]
Ashwagandha [R]
Forskolin [R]
Agmatine [R]
Lycium barbarum (goji berry) [R]
Ganoderma lucidum (reishi) extract [R]
Stinging nettle [R]
Chlorella [R]
Curcumin [R]
Angelica gigas [R]

Pyrrhus

is the tnf inhibitor etanercept generally seen in a similar light as steroids, in that the risk comes from immune suppression that could lead to a worsening condition?

Yes, etanercept, like corticosteroids, can suppress the immune system.

is it probably safer to take etanercept than it is to take the steroids?

It's difficult to compare the risk of immune suppression from the various anti-inflammatories as the risk will depend upon the dosages and the individual's immune status.

Hope this helps.

seamyb

it only says “Tumor Necrosis Factor”

It's TNF-alpha then.

I've just ordered apigenin which inhibits TNF-alpha and IL-10, so may be of use to you.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28738536/

I ordered it because I found that cumin basically reduces my fatigue to zero, but it has a very short half life. The half life of apigenin is like 90 hours, so if it works, it should work better, longer.

Here's my thread on cumin - https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-my-poisoned-feeling-gone-pem-what-pem.84337/

Both these things act on cytokines.