• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tuberculosis

glenp

"and this too shall pass"

I am curious - Have any of you had or have family members, aunts, uncles, first cousins that have had TB. I have 3, and reading up on familiar prostate I wondered about TB.

glen

Rosemary

Hi glen,

Thanks for posting this interesting question,this is not really what you are asking however I remember reading that HIV Infected Children should not to be given the BCG Vaccine.

Revised BCG vaccination guidelines for infants at risk for HIV infection

Following a review of relevant data, the Global Advisory Committee on Vaccine Safety (GACVS) has revised its previous recommendations concerning bacille Calmette1 Guerin (BCG) vaccination of children infected with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

WHO had previously recommended that in countries with a high burden of tuberculosis (TB), a single dose of BCG vaccine should be given to all healthy infants as soon as possible after birth, unless the child presented with symptomatic HIV infection.

However, recent evidence shows that children who were HIV-infected when vaccinated with BCG at birth, and who later developed AIDS, were at increased risk of developing disseminated BCG disease. Among these children, the benefits of potentially preventing severe TB are outweighed by the risks associated with the use of BCG vaccine.

GACVS therefore advised WHO to change its recommendation such that children who are known to be HIV-infected, even if asymptomatic, should no longer be immunized with BCG vaccine.

Rosemary

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090701/TB_who_090701/20090701?hub=Health

TB vaccine could kill babies with HIV: WHO

GENEVA -- The World Health Organization says a study has shown that babies with HIV could die if given a standard tuberculosis vaccine.

WHO says a three-year study in South Africa found babies born with HIV had a higher risk of contracting a deadly form of TB if given the widely used BCG vaccine.

The study recommends not vaccinating babies with HIV and delaying vaccination for those babies whose HIV status is unknown.

Jenny

Hi Glen

Yes, my father had TB - before the advent of abx - recovered after 3 years in a sanatorium in the 1930s. What is the connection with the prostate?

Jenny

Rosemary

I also remember sadly reading that Lynn Gilderdale contracted ME after receiving a vaccination for TB

" She fell ill after receiving a vaccination for TB when she was 14-years-old and was diagnosed with ME after suffering from bronchitis, tonsillitis and glandular fever."

Mother is charged after ME death http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/8002288.stm

" Lynn, who contracted myalgic encephalopathy (ME) following a tuberculosis vaccination at age 14 in 1991."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...-murder-of-daughter-who-suffered-with-ME.html

ukxmrv

Hi Glen,

Yes, TB seems to have been very common in my Father's family in the first half of the 20th C. Not in my Mothers though. It's given as the cause of death on some members of the extended family. Including 2 children.

acer2000

I have a positive TB skin test but never developed symptomatic TB. I was treated with Rifampin for 6 months to "treat" the test. I think its relatively more common to have been exposed to TB nowadays, especially if you live in big urban areas and come in contact with a lot of people. After the original big push to eradicate TB agencies became complacent and it has come back in the developing world and thus among the immigrant population in the western world as well as in HIV patients. Personally, I know 2 non immigrant, non HIV positive people who were treated for TB recently. They are fine now but had to take antibiotics for a year or longer.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Just wondered

I only just thought of it-- that maybe there was a link with us. My cousin had one lung removed because of tubuculosis he recovered and is now elderly and has protate cancer. Another cousin amd my siter also had it. I thought that there might be others. That is interesting about the vaccine and HIV babies There is sooo much that is unknown
glen