• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tryptophan

Hi.

Does l tryptophan cause palpitations or not? I have POTS and is very sensitive, but could benefit from mood and anxiety effects!

PeterPositive

Well, tryptophan is almost everywhere in the diet: fish, cheese, eggs, chocolate, soy etc...
Maybe the problem could arise if you take too much, why not starting with a low dose and see how it goes? After all we're all very different and it's pretty difficult to give you a yes/no answer.

Unless tryptophan containing food bother you in some way you could try consuming them a bit more or add 1/4 of a capsule (typically they are 500mg) and see how it goes and slowly build up the dosage.

Personally I've tried tryptophan up to 1000mg/day but it does nothing for my anxiety.

Good luck

halcyon

I have POTS and don't notice any untoward effects from tryptophan. I take 500mg AM and PM.