• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trying Lactofferin (jarrow), anyone feel more tired at first?

Hope_eternal

I started my son on 250 mg Lactoferrin yesterday and he’s been so tired. Very withdrawn. He slept more than usual today. He’s been bedridden for a year. Feeling concerned and wanted to see what people experience was with it. I’ve read through the threads and saw that some that felt worse but then made a turnaround. I’m so afraid of making things worse for him permanently and don’t know how to gauge this illness.,How do you know when to keep going with something to give it a fair try or pull the plug? I know most people had the turnaround on higher doses but was afraid to start high and give him herx. I just don’t know how all you brave souls have done this for so long! My heart goes out to you and your strength. I’m a nervous wreck!! Thank you for any insight you can offer.

Last edited:

linusbert

i dont know. i dont like these "herx" explanations. herx actually is die off of large amounts of bacteria after antibiotics use where dead bacteria are realising all those toxins in their cells at once - also not happening on all dead bacterias. with lactoferrin there is no large die off i can think off.

why not just stop it until it gets better, than start low at 1/10 the dose and figure out whats tolerated. then work up?

Hope_eternal

i dont know. i dont like these "herx" explanations. herx actually is die off of large amounts of bacteria after antibiotics use where dead bacteria are realising all those toxins in their cells at once - also not happening on all dead bacterias. with lactoferrin there is no large die off i can think off.

why not just stop it until it gets better, than start low at 1/10 the dose and figure out whats tolerated. then work up?
That makes sense. I think it’s better to be safe than sorry. Ug this is so hard 😭 thanks for your response.

BrightCandle

Just in general I don't think pushing through a negative reaction is a good idea. Drop the dose until you can't notice anything would be a much better starting approach and if you can't gradually increase after that then odds are its not for you. We all react to things and all we do by continuing is annoying our mast cells even more.

Hope_eternal

Just in general I don't think pushing through a negative reaction is a good idea. Drop the dose until you can't notice anything would be a much better starting approach and if you can't gradually increase after that then odds are its not for you. We all react to things and all we do by continuing is annoying our mast cells even more.
Thank you. I am going to stop it and hope he gets back to baseline soon. Ug this terrifies me. I pray he bounces back. 🙏❤️‍🩹🙏

L'engle

moogle
I had reactions like this from kefir and other probiotics. Lactoferrin might have some of the same effects, though I don't know a ton about it. The symptoms went away when I stopped it. Hopefully it will be the same for your son. It might take him a few days.

Hope_eternal

I had reactions like this from kefir and other probiotics. Lactoferrin might have some of the same effects, though I don't know a ton about it. The symptoms went away when I stopped it. Hopefully it will be the same for your son. It might take him a few days.
I’m thinking this reaction might be from his Crohns medication,,I completely forgot we gave him his injection Sunday night. It can mess him up for a few days and since he was already knocked a bit from the doc appt 2 weeks ago it affected him much more this time. I did stop the lacto just in case., thank you for your note., I appreciate you sharing your experience.

godlovesatrier

Hm no not really. Didn't notice much when I took it when I had ME. It's been ameliorating fatigue and shoulder and neck pain now I have long covid (I assume that's what it will be anyway).

But no treatments for brainfog yet which is a bigger issue in the grand scheme of things :(

Lactoferrin does a lot to your microbiome you're prob just reacting to that, should calm down in 2 weeks.

Hope_eternal

Hm no not really. Didn't notice much when I took it when I had ME. It's been ameliorating fatigue and shoulder and neck pain now I have long covid (I assume that's what it will be anyway).

But no treatments for brainfog yet which is a bigger issue in the grand scheme of things :(

Lactoferrin does a lot to your microbiome you're prob just reacting to that, should calm down in 2 weeks.
Yes all these mysterious symptoms and no answers. It’s quite a challenge. I hope you find something to help you feel better. Brain fog is very unsettling. I get that when stressed. 😫

I may try him in the Lactoferrin again when he perks up. Thank you for your note. I appreciate it!

godlovesatrier

Sleepiness is usually a good sign. Whenever I had that early on I was more stable and more improved thereafter.

My most recent bouts of sleepiness with improvement were from vivomixx the last year or so. Valtrex herx exhibited worsened brainfog for a few weeks and then better after that.

So yeah might notice a slight improvement after a few weeks on it. I think hyper inflammatory reactions are much much bigger issues and are very scary. In mis-c patients they end up on ivig and steroids. So yeah hyper inflammation is bad news.

I get hyper inflammation from all immune modulators like equilibrant, ip-6, ginseng, imunovir and ldn. So if he's not experiencing that wouldn't worry too much. Hyper inflammation almost always results in swollen glands and lymph nodes as well. Worse than a prior baseline.

All the best!