• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trudie Chalder (PACE author) - CFS MUPS 13 - 16 SEPT 2017 - SLOVENIA

Included two Youtube videos for 'context'

47th CONGRESS OF THE EUROPEAN ASSOCIATION
FOR BEHAVIOURAL AND COGNITIVE THERAPIES
13 - 16 SEPTEMBER 2017 / LJUBLJANA - SLOVENIA

http://www.eabct2017.org/en/Trudie-Chalder.html

A Transdiagnostic Approach to Persistent Physical Symptoms Focusing on Fatigue
Scientific background and description of workshop:
Medically Unexplained Symptoms (MUS) are defined as persistent bodily symptoms with functional disability but no explanatory pathology. Other terms include Somatic Symptom Disorder (SDD) which is used in the new Diagnostic Statistics Manual (DSM-5). This refers to persistent (6 months or more) and clinically significant somatic complaints accompanied by excessive and disproportionate health-related thoughts, feelings and behaviours regarding the symptoms. The somatic symptoms can be related to long term conditions as well as in the context of medically unexplained syndromes."

Spreading the muck across Europe:moneybag:

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
Medically Unexplained Symptoms (MUS) are defined as persistent bodily symptoms with functional disability but no explanatory pathology. Other terms include Somatic Symptom Disorder (SDD) which is used in the new Diagnostic Statistics Manual (DSM-5). This refers to persistent (6 months or more) and clinically significant somatic complaints accompanied by excessive and disproportionate health-related thoughts, feelings and behaviours regarding the symptoms. The somatic symptoms can be related to long term conditions as well as in the context of medically unexplained syndromes."

Pure unadulterated ableism. There's nothing odd about people with untreated chronic illnesses having to think about their symptoms or behaviour. We have been abandoned by the healthcare system so we have to adapt ourselves to whatever works best until proper biomedical treatment comes along. Also, symptoms can be extremely debilitating, and detrimental to quality of life and basic functioning, and do not respond to the magical thinking brigade and their stupid suggestions. I am utterly convinced that the lack of personal experience when it comes to chronic illness (combined with endemic ableism) is the fertile ground on which this poisonous mentality grows. The stupidity is off the scale with this useless woman. It's like a straight person standing up and talking about how LGBT folk obsess over their oppression or rights, or a white person thinking people of colour have disproportionate thoughts on their experience of racism. They have no personal experience of the subject, and instead pretend they have some objective insight into our experience that outstrips our own knowledge, like the psych men of old who thought women were prone to hysteria. And of course actual science is nowhere to be seen. She is an utter quack.

When I read poisonous crap like this, I can't help wishing the people selling this message would get a hearty dose of ME themselves. Try a year or two stuck in bed yourself, feeling like you've been hit by a bus and have a bad case of flu as well, then tell us we're having excessive health related thoughts etc.

They have NO idea.

NelliePledge

When I read poisonous crap like this, I can't help wishing the people selling this message would get a hearty dose of ME themselves. Try a year or two stuck in bed yourself, feeling like you've been hit by a bus and have a bad case of flu as well, then tell us we're having excessive health related thoughts etc.

They have NO idea.
that would be poetic justice Trish

I wonder if there is a Slovenian ME Group, we could get chatting to... ;)
http://fmcfsme.com/support_group_database.php?c=Slovenia&s=Ljubljana&i=Ljubljana#support_groups
Group Name:

CFS&FM Support Group Slovenia: Drustvo za
Fibromialgijo

Group Web Site: Go To Web Site
Group City: Ljubljana
Group State/Province: Ljubljana
Group Zip: 1000
Group Country: Slovenia
Group Phone: 07/49 64 179
Group Email: Send Email
Date Added: 2008-10-28

http://www.skufmslovenija.org/

eta: just sent them an email (hope they understand english!)

Last edited:

anni66

mum to ME daughter
Included two Youtube videos for 'context'

47th CONGRESS OF THE EUROPEAN ASSOCIATION
FOR BEHAVIOURAL AND COGNITIVE THERAPIES
13 - 16 SEPTEMBER 2017 / LJUBLJANA - SLOVENIA

http://www.eabct2017.org/en/Trudie-Chalder.html

Spreading the muck across Europe:moneybag:
@charles shepherd - this may be coming to a country near you soon... MEA statement may be a good idea