• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trouble understanding the Acetylcholine Antibodies thing

Gingergrrl

Main problem is my massive intolerances to foods, supplements, medications, smells.

Can you remind me what mast cell meds you are taking (prescription, OTC, and supplements) and which were helpful (if any) and which made it worse. I think you said you are only tolerating rice at the moment but might be mixing this up with an older thread.

Malea

Can you remind me what mast cell meds you are taking (prescription, OTC, and supplements) and which were helpful (if any) and which made it worse. I think you said you are only tolerating rice at the moment but might be mixing this up with an older thread.

I take low-dose Ativan and low-dose Cetirizine. I can’t take more of both because than the side-effects become unmanageable. Ativan is stabilizing me a littlebit overall but didn’t lead to better toleration of foods. The reason for that could be because my reactions are not primarily caused by mast cell degranulation but more by a typeIV-allergy from the t-lymphocytes. That’s at least what my doctor is thinking atm and it seems to make sense because reactions start slowly and delayed.

Malea

Oh and Ascorbic Acid was really helpful but I didn’t tolerate it in any buffered form, so had to stop using it because of GI-problems.

kangaSue

Oh and Ascorbic Acid was really helpful but I didn’t tolerate it in any buffered form, so had to stop using it because of GI-problems.
I'm having a real problem tolerating any form of ascorbic acid too and have major problems tolerating most foods, meds and supplements - sometimes from a slow reaction and sometimes it's an immediate thing. I have mostly severe GI problems (gatroparesis) and these intolerance problems probably relate back to my having Chronic Mesenteric Ischemia causing GI inflammation and malabsorption problems.

That in turn looks to be caused by an occluded left renal vein causing pelvic and abdominal (splanchnic) congestion - increased venous pressures can cause dysfunctional renin angiotension system (RAS) and mild adrenal insufficiency from increased pressures into the left adrenal gland (I have low, but "normal range" morning cortisol and aldosterone and elevated renin levels). Various other vessels can become dilated and cause subsequent inflammation, all of which can cause compression to other splanchnic organs and structures.

GI dysfunction and/or inflammation can be a cause of mast cell activation and can be something that can't be stabilised to any great degree with the usual mast cell meds until such time as the underlying cause of GI problems is fixed.

Gingergrrl

I take low-dose Ativan and low-dose Cetirizine. I can’t take more of both because than the side-effects become unmanageable.

Is it b/c the Cetirizine becomes too sedating or other side effects? My MCAS doctor has patients on huge doses of certain meds and said that he titrates up to the individual patient (although this is often to stop anaphylaxis risk so it is worth it). For about two years I was taking 2 Cetirizines per day (plus a ton of other stuff) until this whole thing went into remission.

Can you remind me if you tried Ketotifen? I hope I have not asked you this 50x already!

Ativan is stabilizing me a littlebit overall but didn’t lead to better toleration of foods. The reason for that could be because my reactions are not primarily caused by mast cell degranulation but more by a typeIV-allergy from the t-lymphocytes.

Is type IV allergy still mast cell mediated (or totally unrelated)? There can definitely be mast cell driven reactions that are delayed and they are not always immediate.

Is Ascorbic Acid the same as Vitamin C? If so, Vit C is also a mast cell stabilizer. Have you tried "Liposomal vitamin C"? This is just an example (Dr. Mercola's brand):

upload_2019-1-29_18-0-51.jpeg