• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treatment for plantar fasciitis and heel spurs

IntuneJune

UPDATE ON PRP OR PLATELET RICH PROTEIN

For those who wanted an update, I am wondering to get your attention if maybe I should start a new thread.

Now that I can differentiate what is not being masked by Vicodin (since I have cut that back), it is obvious the PRP did help the plantar fasciitis and heel spurs. The outcome is better on the left than the right and I wonder if that is simply the site of the injection was more accurate for the left foot than the right.

As this could be used for any location in the body where there is tissue injury, I would highly recommend a try. No side effects to speak of since it is our on bodily products.

June

filfla4

I thought I'd bump up this thread as my plantar fasciitis is particularly bad at the moment. Is this common in me/cfs patients? Does anyone have any advice for me? I've had the horridly painful cortisone shots, done icing and stretching as well as insoles. I'm really not seeing much improvement! :(

I think the biggest help for me was stretching, especially when waking up at night and before getting out of bed in the morning. It took a while to have an effect, and I have to be very consistent about it still.

My mom's had the same problem lately, and has also used stretching plus an annoying perma-stretch boot she wears at night. Ice seems to help too, when they're hurting. Massage may also help.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I thought I'd bump up this thread as my plantar fasciitis is particularly bad at the moment. ... Does anyone have any advice for me? I've had the horridly painful cortisone shots, done icing and stretching as well as insoles. I'm really not seeing much improvement! :(

My husband, who is not an ME/CFS patient, had this problem. He already had specially made orthotics (he has flat feet) so he didn't know what else to do. He went to a physical therapist for weeks and got only minor improvement. Finally, I happened to read an article in our local newspaper about how to help plantar fasciitis. Among other things the article recommends a stretch that is MUCH LONGER than what his physical therapist had suggested. The stretch is supposed to last for 15-20 minutes.

My husband started with only a few minute stretch on each foot (this stretch is for one foot at a time). Then he slowly worked up to about 15 minutes every day. He has gotten so much relief from this stretching. He is no longer reluctant to get out of bed first thing in the morning (that's when his feet used to hurt the worst).

Here's a link to the article which also has a helpful photo: http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2011/02/colin_hoobler_stretches_strong.html

I hope this is helpful! I know that the article also recommends strengthening hip and thigh muscles. I know that's much harder for many ME/CFS patients (my husband did not have that problem) but maybe the stretch alone will still be helpful.

PS. Regarding your other question, I have no idea whether plantar fasciitis is common in ME/CFS patients but I don't remember seeing it mentioned very often.

MikeSimouns

[banned as spam]
I have surgery 2 years ago both of my big toe and now am still in pain and I cannot understand why. I felt like regretting doing the surgery.