• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Transmitters are out of whack

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Our ME/CFS bodies are very sensitive to such high doses, I think. (At least that is what I experienced when I tried the author's suggestions.)

That's a good point. We often need to experiment with finding the right dose. But, individual aminos would allow for some experimentation with the dose.

Dr. David Gertson provides some information about his experiences with ME/CFS patients and amino acid imbalances here. He recommends relying on testing, customized amino mixes, and a doctor with ME/CFS experience for ongoing treatment.

think rather than trying supplements you could try to get your amino acids from quality food such as healthy proteins

I've been using whey protein (Natural Factors Whey Factors) as a source of aminos and protein. It helps to balance my mood and thoughts.

It's also possible to get free-form amino acid supplements that contain most of the main aminos so that the body can utilize what it needs and won't be possibly thrown off balance by a high dose of a single amino. These can also be useful for anyone with digestion problems since free-form aminos don't require digestion.

Another reason for hunger might be blood sugar control problems. Many of us have hypoglycemia. I used to need food every 80 minutes throughout the day to keep my blood sugar up. (After taking liver and pancreas supplements for a few months I'm now up to 3 hours between meals.)

@HABS93 do notice the same hunger at night? Do you get light headed, have fuzzy thoughts, poor coordination or other low blood sugar symptoms if you don't eat after a couple of hours?

HABS93

@PatJ I do have those symptoms even after I eat although it gets better for a bit then just disappears. As the day goes on it just gets worse . Have to eat a ridiculous amount of food just to not feel hungry. I can't afford to eat that much so I just gave up

BeADocToGoTo1

It will take a while for the body to adjust to a different diet, especially if you have been a 'sugar burner' for a long time. Sugar is addictive, and thus you can even feel withdrawal symptoms and flu-like when you cut sugar and simple carbs. Do you drink much sugar, as that is another often overlooked element? Sodas, alcohol, low fat milk, juices of any kind (including fruits juices whether packaged or home made, sports, electrolyte, energy drinks, vegetable juices) are all sugar bombs to the body. Adding more healthy fat and protein will help with insulin spikes and a more satiated feel. Rice is also a moderation food since it is seen as sugar to the body. I limit it to roughly about the palm of my hand for a portion for the day if I have any, and tend to stick with organic wild rice which has a bit more fiber.

Below is an interesting article from today on ketogenic diet, but anything extreme will not help in the long run. I am in light ketosis when I wake up because I fit my eating in a 10-12 hour window each day and do not take in much sugar or simple carbs. I only drink water, sugarless tea or coffee, sometimes some protein powder mixed in water, and very rarely a treat of a little coconut milk.

https://chriskresser.com/a-complete-guide-to-the-keto-diet/

MTpockets

@HABS93 Drug use is well known to seriously deplete the vitamin b12 levels in your body. As well as other vitamins. B12 in particular is responsible for neurotransmitters functioning properly. Consider getting your vitamin levels checked.

HABS93

It will take a while for the body to adjust to a different diet, especially if you have been a 'sugar burner' for a long time. Sugar is addictive, and thus you can even feel withdrawal symptoms and flu-like when you cut sugar and simple carbs. Do you drink much sugar, as that is another often overlooked element? Sodas, alcohol, low fat milk, juices of any kind (including fruits juices whether packaged or home made, sports, electrolyte, energy drinks, vegetable juices) are all sugar bombs to the body. Adding more healthy fat and protein will help with insulin spikes and a more satiated feel. Rice is also a moderation food since it is seen as sugar to the body. I limit it to roughly about the palm of my hand for a portion for the day if I have any, and tend to stick with organic wild rice which has a bit more fiber.

Below is an interesting article from today on ketogenic diet, but anything extreme will not help in the long run. I am in light ketosis when I wake up because I fit my eating in a 10-12 hour window each day and do not take in much sugar or simple carbs. I only drink water, sugarless tea or coffee, sometimes some protein powder mixed in water, and very rarely a treat of a little coconut milk.

https://chriskresser.com/a-complete-guide-to-the-keto-diet/

I have recently stopped drinking coke at work. God damn addiction to coke came out of no where. Before this illness I only drank water and coffee. Sometimes Gatorade after work which was in a very hot environment . My diet is still shaping itself. I'm moving out because my dad is a alcoholic and only makes dinner we refried oils and just none of it is healthy for me. He doesn't believe you can have chronic fatigue. But anyways I'm going to have a crock pot and make healthy stews with lots of fats. I work in a kitchen and a fancy one. Imported fresh veggies everyday and I can usually take avocados home by the bundles .
I have one coffee no sugar at work at the halfway mark. Drink water with it. I'm down to one cigarette a day . I had a bad night last night I went out with some waitresses and had one too many beers. I had my protein shake combined with this veggie protein that has all amino acids in it after and woke up feeling fine .

GABA supplement seems to help me feel relaxed though

HABS93

@HABS93 Drug use is well known to seriously deplete the vitamin b12 levels in your body. As well as other vitamins. B12 in particular is responsible for neurotransmitters functioning properly. Consider getting your vitamin levels checked.
My MD said my vitamin levels were fine especially B12 so it was confusing because how could that be I did MDMA quite abit and smoked weed everyday

MTpockets

Well, you might try taking some b12 and just see if it helps. It is pretty safe as in you can't really overdose on it. Maybe your body just needs some extra for a bit while it builds up your serotonin levels again. It might just be a matter of time to undo the damage. Good food, lots of sunshine, probiotics, and plenty of rest. Try to eat foods high in tryptophan, that may help build up your levels again. Hang in there.

HABS93

I have B12 methylation drops and its red . It made me feel like I was on a energy drink so I got scared maybe that's just normal for first dose ? GABA has helped me alot with relaxation recently.

MTpockets

No it's probably because you have genetic traits that need a different type of B12. Try Hydroxycobalamin. That is what I use. I have MTHFR mutations and methylB12 gives me an adrenaline rush as well, but hydroxycobalamin works really well for me. GABA is a great supplement for brain health if you tolerate it. Keep taking that one also if it is working for you.

MTpockets

You might consider getting tested for MTHFR mutations. There are whole sections on this and what it does, and how to treat it. It has a lot to do with how well you detox, so it might give you something to go on.