• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Transcranial Electrical stimulation to induce delta waves to get out of the Dauer state?

serg1942

Hi everybody:

(I just saw this subject has been treated in a previous thread; however I'd like to open these new one anyway, because I'd like to focus the debate on how Transcranial Electrical stimulation fits with the Naviaux's Dauer state theory)

I guess some of you must have already read the recently published Naviaux’s paper (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1567724918301053?via=ihub#bb0325). I must say that it is one of the most brilliant texts that I’ve read in the past few years, way ahead of the current dogmas we still study in medicine. Of course the concept that ME/CFS might be a sort of “pathological state” from which theoretically a given temporary treatment could get us out from in a relatively short time is not new, this now more elaborated theory fits pretty well with some of the 'miraculous' transient improvements many PWCFS have experienced after taking an antibiotic, or with LDI, or with D-ribose (this happened to me!), etc. The same can be argued for the sudden onset of the illness many of us suffered.

Anyway, when he talks about the treatments trialed so far supporting his proposed approach, he of course mentions Suramin, but also the so called ‘low-intensity pulses using transcranial electrical stimulation (LIP-tES)’. I read the whole paper he quotes regarding this therapy (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28925734), and I really wanted to run some thoughts/reflections by you on the possibility of getting some relief from this therapy.

In a nutshell, the paper describes how some electrical pulses applied to the scalp by means of several electrodes, show very significant improvements in a very short time in 6 patients with Mild traumatic brain injury. The mechanism of action proposed, is that these currents would potentiate the healing properties of the slow Delta waves. These slow waves should only occur in the deep phases of sleep, but it seems that in some disorders they might appear during wakefulness, maybe as a healing process of the body. Well, in theory this treatment would be potentiating these slow waves occurring naturally in patients with Mild traumatic brain injury, and this would explain the great improvements observed.

Naviaux explains in his paper how these deep cerebral waves would be an example of how to force some stuck cells out of the “Dauer” state, therefore achieving recovery. While this specific treatment would seem too localized into the neurons of the cerebral cortex, opposed to the systemic approach we might need for ME/CFS (something Suramin would achieve, in theory), the possible symptoms of the Mild traumatic brain injury drew my attention:

1) headaches; 2) feelings of dizziness; 3) nausea and/or vomiting; 4) noise sensitivity, easily upset by loud noise; 5) sleep disturbance; 6) fatigue, tiring more easily; 7) being irritable, easily angered; 8) feeling depressed or tearful; 9) feeling frustrated or impatient; 10) forgetfulness, poor memory; 11) poor concentration; 12) taking longer to think; 13) blurred vision; 14) light sensitivity, easily upset by brigh light; 15) double vision; and 16) restlessness

Well, I’m sure you can see my point! So, my first impulse has been to look for EEGs made in EM/CFS patients, and after a quick search, this is what I’ve found:

1- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4734796/:
(…)The subjects were seated on a soft chair in a relaxed state, but were awake and concentrating. (…)These results indicate that there was a significant increase of the slow brain electrical activities in the right frontal area in CFS patients.(…)

2- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2765956/:
(…)In persons with CFS, delta power was diminished during slow wave sleep, but elevated during both stage 1 and REM(…)

So, it seems we do show more than usual slow waves during wakefullness (and during REM, what would be expected as brain sleep physiology does resemble the wakefullness state), in addition to show lack of deep waves while sleeping.

Finally, to make this relationship between ME/CFS and delta waves more interesting, Naviaux also states: ‘In classical mitochondrial diseases like Alpers syndrome, the need for brain repair is so great that delta waves are seen in the EEG even while awake’. So, when mitochondria does’t function as it should, the brain uses the deep waves during wakefulness as a compensation… (Alper’s Syndrome: https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/alpers-huttenlocher-syndrome#genes).

Sorry my essay… I just wanted to highlight some data before asking the following questions:

1. Does anyone know if this therapy or a similar one has been used in ME/CFS? If so, any good outcomes? (ok, I have just realized that there is a case study... Is there more evidence on this treatment?).

2. What do you think about the possible potential benefits of this therapy for ME/CFS?

3. Do you think this treatment approach could be somehow similar to the vagal stimulation? Has anyone tried this one yet?

Any input will be much appreciated!!!

Thank you!
Sergio

Last edited:

Wishful

While this specific treatment would seem too localized into the neurons of the cerebral cortex, opposed to the systemic approach we might need for ME/CFS

I think that the core dysfunction of ME/CFS might be cerebral, involving microglial cells, with many of the other common symptoms affecting the body simply being secondary responses, so fixing the microglial cells would fix the rest.

I admit that I think this treatment is wildly speculative and unlikely to succeed, but it's unlikely to cause nasty side effects, so I don't object to you volunteering to try it. :)

Seems simple enough. Cobble together a simple 4 Hz oscillator with adjustable output, stick on a couple of electrodes, and experiment. You could also program a computer to provide the output.

Hip

Looking at the paper, I am not sure if they used a fixed frequency for brain stimulation, or possibly determined the frequency dynamically by some feedback process through measuring brainwaves by the EEG electrodes. Their method is not clear to me.

Wishful

Well, it's all experimental, so one could try a single frequency, or vary it based on whatever feedback one feels is relevant. I built a brainwave monitor back in high school days. Didn't experiment with applying signals though. Except accidentally... :wide-eyed:

anne_likes_red

Sergio regarding t-vns, my understanding is when applied to the concha cymbae it acts to regulate the autonomic nervous system by stimulating the ventral vagal complex through the NTS and locus coeruleus.
Currently I know there are versions of this approach (ventral vagal stimulation) being used with people diagnosed with PTSD and kids with ASDs.
Naviaux's model seems to suggest this pathway might be involved in "dauer exit" and restoration of a normal metabolic state. As I understand it neuromodulation would be used just as part of a treatment...along with Suramin perhaps??

I have been experimenting with t-vns, just for a few weeks.
I've noticed a positive effect on sleep quality (I'm less wakeful and finding it faster to fall asleep). Would love to know if others might experience this too! I'm just using an inexpensive tens unit with ear clips.

anne_likes_red

@Sergio I'll put this short presentation here too even though I replied to your comment on facebook already with a link to it.
NB I'm not endorsing this protocol, but this doctor's t-vns specifications are the same as I'm using except I'm using the concha cymbae. I did use 25 hz for a short time but didn't notice the same benefit to sleep as I do with 5 hz.
*Trigger warning ;) he abbreviates ME/CFS to "chronic fatigue" here and there.

Anne.

anne_likes_red

Also regarding delta waves ;) I came across this recent case study while I was searching for anything showing links between proprioception dysfunction and me/cfs.
http://people.bath.ac.uk/ac886/PDSandMECFS.pdf It's intriguing! Though I don't know what diagnostic criteria their subjects would meet...Oxford I guess?

The lead author is an opthalmologist in Portugal - https://www.orlandoalvesdasilva.org/
In clinical studies over the last 20 - 30 years he seems to have demonstrated the active prism lenses he prescribes as part of his treatment for proprioception dysfunction syndrome* (as described in those "ME/CFS" case studies at Bath) normalised the pattern of delta wave production. I have read elsewhere that PWME produce these slow waves during waking hours instead of during sleep. Gulf war illness sufferers too I think?

1562385393609.png

That's clipped from a recent (June 2019) journal http://pubs.covd.org/VDR/issue5-2/index.html. Dr Alves da Silva's contributed article appears from page 130. You can download it as a pdf for easier reading if you're interested. :)