• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

toxoplasmosis & IgG AB activation levels? What's normal?

FernRhizome

I just had a toxoplasmosis test and I know it's typical for there to be elevated levels from past exposure. My question is what is a "normal" elevated level from past exposure would be versus a "reactivated" level such as with EBV antibodies after the fact versus the higher level of reactivated EBV in CFS?

What is the comparison in Toxo? I know some of the CFS docs are very interested in the toxo, such as Komaroff.

My level of toxo IgG AB was 17 and no exposure would have been less than 4. (IgM was negative)

~Fern

Timaca

Fern~
I may have lost the first reply, so I am trying again. Have your doctor call this lab: http://www.pamf.org/serology/ (They do not take calls from patients.) If the lab feels your results are suspicious, then you can have your blood tested at that lab.
Best, Timaca

Hi,
Will try to help explain. I have a microbiology/chemistry degree and actually helped manufacture diagnostic kits for Toxoplasmosis years ago. So hear goes...
the only way that IgG antibody levels can indicate if you are having a reactivation is if you have the levels charted over time to see if they are going up (eg. on going infection) or coming down (clearing of infection).

Wish I could draw you a map of a typical antibody response. IgM type antibodies are made by your immune system as a second level of defense. They are less specific to the "germ" and spike quickly in initial onset of infection then drops off quickly (could be days/weeks/months, depending on your body and/or germ). IgG type antibodies are your 3rd defense. They are much more specific (i.e. sticky) to the germ and are used by your body to capture the germs and deliver them for destruction. IgG concentration peaks sometime after the IgM antibodies indicating that your body is clearing the body of the infection. Once the infection is in control the IgG level drops lower to maintain immunity/control of infection.

I am not sure if the number you are giving me is 17 IU/mL (infectious units/mL). If it is.... this is a low positive. Thus the likelyhood that you have an active infection at time of blood draw is low. Or.... in could be that your immune system is losing the ability to make good sticky IgG antibodies (which has been theorized in CFS).

In a healthy body, Toxo levels are either cleared or kept very under control so that it does not spread and infect tissues commonly in gut and brain. Immunocompromised individuals are at risk (HIV+, transplant recipients etc..) because their immune systems are not functioning which allows the Toxo to travel from gut region and survive as cysts in others tissues such as the brain and muscles. I could see this being a concern because many immune abnormalities is observed in CFS and thus people maybe at more risk.

Something to feel better about.... being positive to Toxo is not uncommon. Depending on region you are living and culture eating norms, Toxo has infected from 20% to approx. 80% of population (seen in areas that eat undercooked meats, European countries).

Hope you are feeling better soon!

FernRhizome

Thanks dancingstarheart, that's helpful! That's what I was wondering, where "17" was in the scale. So low normal seems fine to me! I won't worry about it at all.