• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Toxic Magnesium Oil

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I wanted to post this OFFICIAL WARNING about SUN FOOD MAGNESIUM OIL.

I had a HORRIBLE TOXIC REACTION to it over the past few days. I was using it to help my heart and nervous system SLOW DOWN, and it ended up doing just the opposite, making all my symptoms much worse.

The source of this company's magnesium is the DEAD SEA! Had I known that I would not have bought it. I googled Dead Sea and environmental toxins, and got info on many--that's MANY!-- pesticides and other heavy metals that have been dumped into the Dead Sea from run-off. Including DDT! YUKKKK!

I've called Sun Foods to complain and report on all this to them. They said they're waiting for a fax regarding a recent test result for toxicity and will do another test on their recent batch of the oil. They said no one but me has had problems with it. I want to send in my own bottle of the stuff to a lab myself, and get it tested with results coming straight to me. I hope I can afford this.

Will keep you posted on what they tell me. And what I can find out myself.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I have used another brand of MAGNESIUM OIL (made by Remarkable Redwood Remedies), as well as the Peter Gillam's Natural Calm (powdered magnesium citrate) and KAL brand magnesium glycinate. I have also used Epsom Salts both to soak with in the tub and internally at times.

I've never gotten sick with a severe toxic reaction with any of these other mag supplements the way I did with the Sun Foods Magnesium Oil.

T

truthseeker

Hi there.

I would like to know how you are able to post an OFFICIAL WARNING about magnesium. I have been using the same product for years and I find it quite beneficial. Also, numerous friends and relatives are using it. I don't think that anyone has had a bad reaction. Rather, they all feel more relaxed and calm when they use the magnesium oil from Sunfood.

Was there something else on your skin or did you take something else before you used it, so that there was some sort of interaction? Very curious.

You mentioned the Dead Sea. That's one of the reasons that I bought it. You say that it's bad. Why? People go to the Dead Sea from all over the world to swim in it and get better.

Furthermore, you mentioned run-off. Every water body in the world has residue from agriculture and other commercial activities. Why do you feel that the water from the Dead Sea would be any different?

I would guess that they purify any magnesium they get out of there. They just don't scoop out water and put it in a bottle.

It seems very self-serving that you would condemn a product so strongly because of one instance. Unless of course, you are selling or somebody you know has interest in the other magnesium products you mentioned.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
It seems very self-serving that you would condemn a product so strongly because of one instance. Unless of course, you are selling or somebody you know has interest in the other magnesium products you mentioned.

I am absolutely not selling any other magnesium product/s.

I am just posting my own very negative experience with this one. I would love to have it tested for toxicity by a reputable lab, but that costs $500, and I can't afford it. If you'd like to pay for that testing, I'd be very willing to go ahead and send in a sample.

PS Sun Foods promised to get back to me about their own testing. I called them 3 times about it and they never did return my call about their testing results.

Jody

Hi there.

I would like to know how you are able to post an OFFICIAL WARNING about magnesium. I have been using the same product for years and I find it quite beneficial. Also, numerous friends and relatives are using it. I don't think that anyone has had a bad reaction. Rather, they all feel more relaxed and calm when they use the magnesium oil from Sunfood.

Was there something else on your skin or did you take something else before you used it, so that there was some sort of interaction? Very curious.

You mentioned the Dead Sea. That's one of the reasons that I bought it. You say that it's bad. Why? People go to the Dead Sea from all over the world to swim in it and get better.

Furthermore, you mentioned run-off. Every water body in the world has residue from agriculture and other commercial activities. Why do you feel that the water from the Dead Sea would be any different?

I would guess that they purify any magnesium they get out of there. They just don't scoop out water and put it in a bottle.

Hi truthseeker,

I see this was your first post here. I'm going to ask that you not call someone's motivations into question because their opinion on something strongly differs from yours. Perhaps you should spend some time getting familiar with the place and the people.

Dreambirdie has been a member here for many months. If she's selling something it's the first I've heard of it. And because I know Dreambirdie and read many of her posts, I knew that when she said "Official Warning" this was her way of saying she felt very strongly about this product.

Stick around, make yourself familiar with the place and with us.:Retro smile:

kurt

PS Sun Foods promised to get back to me about their own testing. I called them 3 times about it and they never did return my call about their testing results.

Hope you tell us what they say. I read on one vendor site that there is about 2% 'other' minerals in magnesium chloride hexahydrate, due to the evaporative process used to distill that from sea water. But those would not likely be contaminants, due to the evaporative process those should be relatively safe minerals. Still, that report might be interesting.

Here is another possibility, magnesium is used by the spirochete in Lyme Disease. Lyme patients have low magnesium and some say a 'herx' can sometimes be produced by too much magnesium too fast. Here is an excerpt from a book I own about Lyme Disease:

Because increasing magnesium levels in the body can cause significant herx reactions as the immune system is strengthened and activated, the dose of magnesium should be started low and worked up. You may find it difficult to believe that simply supplementing magnesium can cause herx reactions, but it can. (When Antibiotics Fail... by Bryan Rosner, p.126)

Do you happen to have Lyme or some similar condition? That seems more likely to me than contamination of the product, otherwise everyone taking that product would be reacting. If you have Lyme, and that magnesium product gave you a herx, then that might be a sign that this product is very bioavailable for you personally, but you would have to start with a very small dose and work up gradually.

Hysterical Woman

I am absolutely not selling any other magnesium product/s.

I am just posting my own very negative experience with this one. I would love to have it tested for toxicity by a reputable lab, but that costs $500, and I can't afford it. If you'd like to pay for that testing, I'd be very willing to go ahead and send in a sample.

Hi Dreambirdie,

Thanks for following up on this, they should be willing to give you test results from their products like other suppliers do. Please share the info if you hear from them.

Take care,

HW

Hysterical Woman

Magnesium Herx

Because increasing magnesium levels in the body can cause significant herx reactions as the immune system is strengthened and activated, the dose of magnesium should be started low and worked up. You may find it difficult to believe that simply supplementing magnesium can cause herx reactions, but it can. (When Antibiotics Fail... by Bryan Rosner, p.126)

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for posting. It actually doesn't surprise me that magnesium can cause a herx reaction, altho it is usually mild. However, for someone who has been ill a long time has a lot of toxicity or lyme disease they might want to start very slowly.

Because magnesium is involved in more than 300 enzyme functions within the body, it can have an impact in many areas. I currently take 300mg of magnesium glycinate at night. My doctor has encouraged me to try to increase it a little since I recently took an EXAtest and my magnesium is still low (altho getting close to "normal"). When I try to increase it tho, I feel extremely sleepy (night and day). Not sure if that is a detox or herx reaction, but it is uncomfortable.

Take care,

Maxine

Dreambirdie

work in progress
ETA: I forgot to mention that I have used another brand of MAGNESIUM OIL (made by Remarkable Redwood Remedies), as well as the Peter Gillam's Natural Calm (powdered magnesium citrate) and KAL brand magnesium glycinate. I have also used Epsom Salts both to soak with in the tub and internally at times.

I've never gotten sick with a severe toxic reaction with any of these other mag supplements
the way I did with the Sun Foods Magnesium Oil.

truthseeker-- I just want to make sure you noticed this significant point in my original post.

In addition to the 4 brands of magnesium mentioned above, both the oral kinds--(Peter Gillam's Natural Calm magnesium and KAL brand magnesium glycinate) and the transdermal ones (Remarkable Redwood Remedies and Epsom salts), I have also used the magnesium oil made by Ancient Minerals. In fact, since stopping the Sun Foods mag oil, I have switched over and used the Ancient Minerals mag oil almost every day for over a month with no serious adverse effects.

So Kurt--From this I think I can safely conclude that my adverse reaction was NOT a herx... because if it had been, then I would have expected more herxing with the other brands of magnesium as well.

Sun Foods did give me a refund when I complained to them about the problems I had with their product, but they have as of yet not returned my third call to them regarding the testing of their mag oil.

PS Thanks Jody--you hit the mark right on target... you sharp shooter, you!

Misfit Toy

Hi! I just wanted to let everyone know that I use ANCIENT MINERALS magnesium and it has really helped my fibro. I am not selling this product. I just thought if someone was having a toxic response to the one listed above, this might help. This stuff is great. It's the only thing helping my fibro.

Hysterical Woman

Hi! I just wanted to let everyone know that I use ANCIENT MINERALS magnesium and it has really helped my fibro. I am not selling this product. I just thought if someone was having a toxic response to the one listed above, this might help. This stuff is great. It's the only thing helping my fibro.

Hi Spitfire,

Thanks for your post re the Ancient Minerals magnesium oil that has helped you. I have used both the Ancient Minerals and Essence of Life brands with good results and swear by it. As mentioned before, both of these brands are forthcoming with the chemical compositions of their products checked by an independent lab. I don't sell them either.

Take care,

HW

T

truthseeker

Hello everybody.

It seems that my post has gotten everybody talking, which is a good thing. I have heard about the effects of too quickly getting magnesium into your system. I have also heard of the effects of getting the wrong magnesium into your system (a lot of magnesium doesn't absorb well in your system). A number of you are mentioning other brands of magnesium which I have heard of, a couple of which I have tried. The sunfood magnesium has always been the best for me. I was told by a doctor before that because we are so magnesium deficient that any magnesium is a benefit. Over time I have found that for myself that is not true (unless you like going to the bathroom a lot or being sleepy all day).

I have seen some of the analyses that other companies put on their products. I think that Dreambirdie might have gotten a reaction because the Sunfood magnesium is so pure. I say this because I looked online and found out what the purity of food grade magnesium is supposed to be. Food grade has to be 100% pure magnesium. Sunfood says they use magnesium chloride hexahydrate which is listed as the purest and most absorbable form of magnesium. One of the other companies mentioned in this thread uses a magnesium that they say they mine (Ancient Minerals). According to their analysis that they put online, their raw material is only 31% magnesium to start with, then diluted in water. On top of that it's only magnesium chloride, which is a rock.

My guess is that the Sunfood magnesium should be more potent. They say their raw material is pure magnesium and more water soluble and absorbable because of the hexahydrate part.

I look forward to reading your posts and continuing discussions.

Wayne

Magnesium Cheletes Aluminum

I think that Dreambirdie might have gotten a reaction because the Sunfood magnesium is so pure.

Hi Truthseeker, Hi All,

I just ran across a reference in the latest Townsend Newsletter regarding a "high-magnesium diet designed to chelate aluminum". If magnesium does have a propensity to chelate magnesium, it might explain why a high quality magnesium product could cause quite a reaction in somebody; especially someone who may have high levels of aluminum in their body.

Best to All, Wayne

Lotus97

Hope you tell us what they say. I read on one vendor site that there is about 2% 'other' minerals in magnesium chloride hexahydrate, due to the evaporative process used to distill that from sea water. But those would not likely be contaminants, due to the evaporative process those should be relatively safe minerals. Still, that report might be interesting.

Here is another possibility, magnesium is used by the spirochete in Lyme Disease. Lyme patients have low magnesium and some say a 'herx' can sometimes be produced by too much magnesium too fast. Here is an excerpt from a book I own about Lyme Disease:

"Because increasing magnesium levels in the body can cause significant herx reactions as the immune system is strengthened and activated, the dose of magnesium should be started low and worked up. You may find it difficult to believe that simply supplementing magnesium can cause herx reactions, but it can. (When Antibiotics Fail... by Bryan Rosner, p.126)"

Do you happen to have Lyme or some similar condition? That seems more likely to me than contamination of the product, otherwise everyone taking that product would be reacting. If you have Lyme, and that magnesium product gave you a herx, then that might be a sign that this product is very bioavailable for you personally, but you would have to start with a very small dose and work up gradually.

This is very interesting. I discovered this thread because I was reading that lyme spirochete Borrelia feed on magnesium which causes magnesium deficiency. I hope you're right about it causing herx because this sure creates a dilemma if it feeds the bacteria. There seems to be a similar controversy about certain supplements involving Candida, but that's a topic for another thread.

Magnesium Cheletes Aluminum
I just ran across a reference in the latest Townsend Newsletter regarding a "high-magnesium diet designed to chelate aluminum". If magnesium does have a propensity to chelate magnesium, it might explain why a high quality magnesium product could cause quite a reaction in somebody; especially someone who may have high levels of aluminum in their body.

Does magnesium chelate other metals too? I had some IV chelation treatments a few years ago and one of the things used in the IV was magnesium chloride. I don't know what the doctor was trying to do. My first appointment I went to him for candida and he told me that it was caused by heavy metals.

Forebearance

Thank you for the warning, Dreambirdie. I believe you.
I know from personal experience that people with CFS are extremely easy to poison, and that things may bother us that do not affect healthy people or people with other illnesses.
It may not be a good product for people with CFS.
But it may be fine for other people to use.

I appreciate having this place to share our experiences with each other. We don't have to worry about what is good for the rest of the world, just what is good for us.

Forebearance

Sing

I recently had a poor reaction to a common form of magnesium supplement, namely magnesium oxide. My gut definitely did not appreciate it. I had ordered this form of magnesium by accident instead of the usual magnesium citrate I get which works very well. Both were made by the same company. Just want to add to the "heads up" going on here about how common supplements can be mixed with other substances which don't react well in some people's bodies.

AFCFS

I have had great results with magnesium, as well. This thread helped to refresh an interest in knowing more about it. I think the following may help to remind us of the complexity of taking supplements, in this case magnesium.

http://home.caregroup.org/clinical/altmed/interactions/Nutrients/Magnesium.htm
(there is more info on the site if anyone cares to read it)
metabolism:
• The rate of magnesium absorption varies from as low as 24% to as high as 85%. Many factors regulate magnesium absorption. As the level of calcium intake goes down, the level of magnesium absorption goes up. A significant amount goes to the stomach for HCL production.
• Magnesium is very involved with ATP production via the Kreb's cycle.
• Glycolysis, adenyl cyclase and other reactions involving nerve impulse transmission also require high quantities of magnesium.
• High intakes of calcium, protein, vitamin D and alcohol all function to increase the magnesium requirement.

function:
• Magnesium regulates the absorption of calcium and is involved in the structural integrity of bones and teeth. If it is deficient in the bones, the bones may be dense but have poor trabecular integrity and thus be brittle. In both Finland and the Netherlands, there is a high ratio of calcium to magnesium intake (4 to 1) and the rate of osteoporosis is the highest in the world.
• Magnesium regulates the contractility of the heart muscle. It is concentrated 18x greater in the heart muscle than in the bloodstream. A decreased magnesium level in the heart muscle may predispose a person to coronary spasms. In areas where there is harder water (mainly due to magnesium), there is a much lower rate of heart disease.
• Magnesium has a relaxing effect on smooth muscle. It may be helpful in relaxing the smooth muscle of the bronchioles (improving asthma) and the arterioles (lowering blood pressure).
• It may relax uterine tissue (decreasing the cramping of dysmenorrhea), and also be useful in the treatment of angina and myocardial infarction.
• Magnesium decreases coagulation and acts as a calcium channel blocker. Thus, it helps the heart to pump more effectively.
• It is also one of the cofactors for delta 6 desaturase which is involved in the production of PGE1.
• Magnesium is necessary for the actions of PTH and 1,25 DHCC in bone calcium mobilization.
• Cofactor in many enzyme reactions (especially ATP reactions)
• Protein synthesis
• Role in neuromuscular transmitters
• Activates vitamin B-complex

dietary sources:
• High (200-400 mg/100 g food): nuts (almonds, cashews, Brazil), soybeans, brewer's yeast, buckwheat, wheat bran
• Good: Corn, peas, carrots, barley, oats, rye, wheat, rice bran, pecans, filberts, pistachios, black walnuts, green leafy vegetables (kale, endive, chard beet tops), celery, alfalfa, figs, apples, lemons, peaches, almonds, whole grains (millet, cornmeal, wheatgerm, barley, buckwheat, oats), tahini, sunflower seeds, brown rice, sesame seeds, black-eyed peas, lima beans, tofu, lentils, potato, sweet potato, peas, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, avocado, dates, banana, blueberries, grape juice, cantaloupe, orange juice, milk
• The average intake of magnesium by so-called healthy adults in the U.S. and Western Europe ranges between 143-266 mg/day.
• High intakes of calcium, vitamin D, and protein increase the requirement for magnesium.
• Vitamin D, lactose and HCl all act to enhance absorption.

deficiency:
• Magnesium deficiency is very common in the West since magnesium is found predominantly in whole unprocessed foods.
• Deficiency symptoms include fatigue, irritability, weakness, muscle tightness or spasms, dysmenorrhea, high blood pressure, cardiomyopathy, nerve conduction problems, anorexia, insomnia, sugar cravings, poor nail growth, anxiety.
• Magnesium deficiency may be caused by any condition which increases loss or shifts the electrolyte balance, (such as renal disease) or diuretic therapy (such as antihypertensive medications).
• Malabsorption, hyperthyroidism, pancreatitis, kwashiorkor, diabetes, parathyroid gland disorders, poor intake, and diarrhea may also cause a deficiency.
• Serum magnesium is a very poor indicator of how much magnesium is actually in the tissues. For example, magnesium concentrates in the heart muscle at a 18x higher level than in the serum.
• Measuring white blood cell magnesium is a more sensitive indicator of tissue levels. An anionic magnesium measurement, recently pioneered by Drs. Burton and Bella Altura at Down-State University of New York in Brooklyn, appears to be a considerably more accurate indicator of tissue levels of magnesium than either WBC or RBC measurements.

known or potential therapeutic uses: Acute myocardial infarction, alcohol withdrawal, angina, anxiety, asthma, autism, cardiac arrhythmias, cardiomyopathy, cardiovascular disease, celiac disease, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), congestive heart failure, constipation, diabetes mellitus, dysmenorrhea, eclampsia, eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome, fatigue, fibromyalgia, (acute) gastro-intestinal spasms or cramping, glaucoma, hearing loss, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, hyperactivity, hypoglycemia, intermittent claudication, kidney stones, lead toxicity, low HDL-cholesterol levels, migraine, mitral valve prolapse, muscle cramping, especially nocturnal, multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, premenstrual syndrome, Raynaud’s disease, retinopathy, stroke, torticollis, toxemia of pregnancy.

maintenance dose: 500 mg per day.
• RDA:
Infants: 50-70 mg
Children: 150-300 mg
Adults: females: 280 mg per day; males: 350 mg per day
Pregnancy and lactation 350 mg per day

therapeutic dose: 500-1500 mg per day. Also used intravenously for many conditions.

side effects/toxicity:
• Hypermagnesia is rare but may result with decreased excretion, greatly increased absorption, or rarely with IM injection; toxicity results in depression of the central nervous system and possibly death
• Diarrhea is the most common adverse effect from magnesium. Excessive magnesium can actually lead to a magnesium deficiency if it causes chronic diarrhea. Magnesium also completes with calcium and can induce a calcium deficiency if calcium intake levels are already low. About 800 mg of elemental magnesium will generally cause loose stools but some people may be able to tolerate much higher doses. Different forms of magnesium, such as magnesium glycinate, may be tolerated differently as well. There is a slow release magnesium, Slo-mag, that may be helpful in elevating the intracellular levels of magnesium. Individuals with kidney failure must be cautious about magnesium supplementation since they may experience toxicity symptoms.
• Intravenous magnesium, because of its effect on smooth muscles, may cause hypotension along with dizziness and fainting. It may also cause respiratory depression or depletion of potassium.
• Intramuscular injections can often be painful and may cause a persistent lump if injection does not go deep enough to reach the muscle tissue. After the magnesium is loaded into the syringe a small amount of 2% lidocaine can be drawn into the tip of the syringe to ease the reaction. (Marz, 1997.)

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I think that Dreambirdie might have gotten a reaction because the Sunfood magnesium is so pure.

No, this absolutely does not ring true for me.

I say this because I looked online and found out what the purity of food grade magnesium is supposed to be. Food grade has to be 100% pure magnesium. Sunfood says they use magnesium chloride hexahydrate which is listed as the purest and most absorbable form of magnesium. One of the other companies mentioned in this thread uses a magnesium that they say they mine (Ancient Minerals). According to their analysis that they put online, their raw material is only 31% magnesium to start with, then diluted in water. On top of that it's only magnesium chloride, which is a rock.

I don't know what SUNFOODS means by "pure" but the fact that they do NO TESTING FOR HEAVY METALS in their magnesium oil product defies their claim of purity for me. Their magnesium comes from the DEAD SEA, not exactly a pristine source to extract minerals from. The Ancient Minerals magnesium oil, on the other hand is tested for heavy metals (good idea!) and here is their statement about that:

Independent Test Results

Ancient Minerals is completely free of:
  • Mercury
  • Lead
  • Arsenic
  • Fluoride
View independent lab analysisof our Genuine Zechstein source.

I have had NO adverse effects ill from the Ancient Minerals magnesium oil, but I had a really awful toxic reaction from the Sunfoods magnesium oil. I would not consider using Sunfoods product until they can guarantee independent testing of heavy metals in the same way that Ancient Minerals does.