• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tooth Extractions - Things to Consider

Wayne

I've done quite a bit of research into tooth extraction, and the necessity for cavitation surgery if not done properly. Thought I would post just a short list of what I'm familiar with. I reviewed a lot of options when I went through some of my decision-making process (such as implants), and would be happy to answer any questions some of you might have.

As I mentioned, this is just a short list. I would love to hear what information others may have about this all important topic.

Best, Wayne

Considerations for Tooth Extractions

1) Make sure the peridontal ligament is removed at the same time. Holistic oral surgeons make sure to do this. One oral surgeon who does things pretty conventionally told me the periodontal ligament is removed naturally during a tooth extraction, as it's connected to the tooth. Not sure how much credence to put in that one.

2) Make sure the socket and surrounding areas are cleaned out properly. Part of this is done by removing a very thin layer off the adjacent jawbone. I've read stories of people having to have cavitation surgery following a tooth extraction, and finding a "mush" atop the jawbone where the infection was allowed to linger. So this could be an important preventative measure.

3) If a bridge is not put in place shortly after a tooth extraction, the oral cavity soon begins to shape itself around the new alignment, or lack of alignment. I think this starts happening within weeks. So, to maintain the integrity of the mouth as well as possible, this should be kept in mind, and addressed as soon as possible.

4) When considering a bridge, be sure to use "biocompatible" materials (no metal). A holistic or environmental oral surgeon should be totally comfortable with this topic, and take whatever steps necessary to ensure this. Personally, I don't put much credence in blood compatibility tests, as I've heard any readings on these can turn negative shortly after the material installed. I rely on muscle testing, and/or "applied kinesiology.

Tia

Is this only for ME-patients? because I didn't have any type of infection afterwards, but I did think about the risk with the blood and the dentist.

helsbells

Hey Wayne
the problem with my tooth I discussed here a few weeks ago still rumbles on(cracked tooth), i have a temporary filling but as cannot financially/healthwise go for an implant it will come out in the next few months as the nerve pain in constantly in the background. It is a worry. Incidentally i was told the same thing

One oral surgeon who does things pretty conventionally told me the periodontal ligament is removed naturally during a tooth extraction

One told me the same thing when he took a massive wisdom tooth out that was too big to come through. Took 7 stitches to close it up :eek: but in retrospect it was the best dental work I had ever had done, so professional. Wish i could go there to get the other tooth out :(

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
Hi helsbells - just to confirm, you had this done privately, do you mind me asking, or do NHS sometimes charge a bit for a major procedure? Only asking in case I need to get this done too. A friend had similar procedure on NHS in last couple of months and is wishing he had had the money to get it done privately.

helsbells

It was an NHS Oral and maxillofacial surgeon - but i paid privately to get it done. There is a dental hospital in my city but I was not considered an emergency so could have been waiting months plus could have been an overseen trainee - i really had to minimize chances of infection due to marked intolerance of most if not all antibiotics. It was without doubt the best money I have spent healthwise. The current problem tooth which is really giving me problems as we speak, is a big molar but i don't know if i can see him for a straightforward extraction. My other option is a private dentist they keep pushing for an implant which I can neither afford nor would I tolerate.

Enid

Thanks for highlighing Wayne. In early days mouth ulcers and crowns falling out - now roots to be removed in Hospital apparently - my Dentist will not in case. Yet another possible "side" effect. ?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I just had to have a wisdom tooth pulled as it was decayed and a piece broke off. It was not impacted. Only oral surgeons in my city will take out wisdom teeth. I researched around and found a good guy--he actually knew about LDN and had patients on it!

After checking the things you mentioned, Wayne, the big issue for me was the anesthetic. I knew I needed one without epinephrine as it does a number on my ANS. The oral surgeon knew the one to give and the whole thing was relatively painless--rescue remedy, arnica and ice pretty much took care of the pain. He put in stitches that dissolved and everything seems fine--except the fact of having to pay for it out of pocket!

Sushi

helsbells

It might be worth bearing in mind if you have EDS you may have to opt for the standard local anasthetic as I did. An EDS consultant told me that when people get as far as seeing him and say the local anasthetic didn't seem to have any effect at the Dentist he is so confident it is almost a diagnostic. I think the epinephrine locks it place a bit better. i have to opt for this now, even cleaning my teeth sends me through the roof with nerve pain. I was okish ANS wise but it deffinately caused post op gum disease which thankfully seemed to settle down, but took a good while to do so.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
It might be worth bearing in mind if you have EDS you may have to opt for the standard local anasthetic as I did. An EDS consultant told me that when people get as far as seeing him and say the local anasthetic didn't seem to have any effect at the Dentist he is so confident it is almost a diagnostic.

I found this interesting as I do have mild EDS -- hypermobility syndrome. Still, I can't tolerate epinephrine local anesthetics and have to use the less potent, short acting one. (carbocaine) The doc knew he would have to compensate for the injection being non-epinephrine and gave me a larger dose and a lot more injections. He also re-injected half way through to make sure.

EDS is a tricky component for some in the CFS picture. It has caused me a lot of trouble.

Sushi

Recovery Soon

I pull my hair out when it comes to this dental topic. I had a series of dental procedures done prior to my acute CFS onset 4 years, but there is simply no way to rule the issues out, short of extracting all of my teeth.

To recap-
I had 4 wisdom teeth extracted.
One year later, I was told by a dentist that the upper teeth adjacent to the upper wisdoms which had been extracted, were now infected, dead and had to be removed.
I had those two removed.
After healing, I had two titanium implants inserted.
Within two weeks, I had sudden onset of CFS.
After a ridiculous amount of research through online quackery, and a negative result to titanium allergy, and yanking all mercury from my mouth (with a holistic dentist), I decided that the tooth extractions, and implant insertions were merely coinci(dental) with my CFS.

This issue drives me nuts- because the only way to know for certain is to have $10,000 worth of titanium chiseled out of my jaw- and there's no sound research to reasonably justify such radical action.

helsbells

I understand this and it must put you in a dreadful quandry. My cracked tooth which is giving me a lot of nerve ATM, it is being suggested that i have an implant. I would sooner live with the gap but I know for a fact i am a universal reactor so wouldn't take the chance, so much auto-immune stuff going on don't want immune system to have another thing to kick off about. i am not surprised it drives you nuts because you also have the scenario that even if they triggered the ME you get them all taken out and someone says aaah but getting them removed won't reverse the cascade!