• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Too much vitamin C can cause severe insomnia

Mary

Moderator Resource
I learned the hard way recently that too much vitamin C can cause severe insomnia. The insomnia which hit me seemed rather sudden onset (though in hindsight it may have come on gradually), and was different than my usual ME/CFS difficulty sleeping. I'd sleep or, rather, dose lightly from 9:30 to 11:00, and then be wide awake until 5:00 a.m. or later with no sleep in sight. It was a bit scary and took a bit of detective work to sort it out.

The culprit ended up being the (homemade) liposomal vitamin C I'd been taking for several weeks. Apparently I finally hit bowel tolerance (though did not connect that with the insomnia for over a week).

I could find scant information on-line, no studies, but just a few references to insomnia and too much vitamin C, and also one person's description of the insomnia which sounded like my experience: Too much vitamin C: Is it harmful? - Mayo Clinic
What Happened When I Took Too Much Vitamin C (spoonuniversity.com)

And the proof was in the pudding - when I stopped the vitamin C, I started sleeping again. It was a bit scary for several days until I figured this out!