• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Too Much Progesterone and Pushy People-Because it works for them, it must work for you.

Misfit Toy

@L'engle -yes...this person who recommended the progesterone has a bad marriage. As in bad. It's so warped. I won't even talk about it. She can't leave it. They have no kids, but there is something really concerning about her that she stays and I think that is the crux. She rarely talks about it and this advising me gives her some sort of control over something and she also has complete and restrictive control to the point of a phobia over her own health and schedule. She will not eat anywhere new, go into so many buildings, try anything new....what does that say? That says it all. It's beyond rigid. She won't have cable or a television in her home, but instead she will download all of "Downton Abby" from PBS off of iTunes or the "Blacklist"...um, why? Plus, she has Amazon Prime, which allows her to watch this stuff for free. Doesn't listen to me at all. Won't acknowledge anything I say. It's nuts. She could save so much money by utilizing Amazon Prime and Hulu which gives you free streaming to shows.

I am trying to figure out what to do about her because I am so tired of having to explain myself to her and defend myself. I am going in next week for a shot of Enbrel for the Sjogrens. She is all about alternative treatments only. Doesn't really believe in disease. How can I be friends with her if I can't even tell her I am taking a medicine that is pretty hardcore and could have major consequences? It's a biologic and weakens the immune system, but is brilliant with pain.

I don't want to have to filter what I say to this person so that I can protect myself from the onslaught of opinions and yet here is my fear....I am down to the wire on friends.

I have virtual friends. But, I don't have many "real" friends and yet I know that she is not a real friend either because she can't just let me "be" and figure it out on my own.

It sucks thinking I may have no real life friends one day. What happens if something happens to me and I need help? That scares me.

The lever in the floor! Yes..our fake lever! HA HA.

Last edited:

Misfit Toy

OMG....this just keeps getting better and better......LOL....help!

I received a box today from Amazon and I thought..."I didn't buy anything!" This friend....ugh....just sent me Suzanne Somer's book, "I am too Young for This." About perimeno...how to treat it naturally.

This means I have to reach out and thank her. Oh no. I just want it to stop.

Kati

Patient in training

I received a box today from Amazon and I thought..."I didn't buy anything!" This friend....ugh....just sent me Suzanne Somer's book, "I am too Young for This." About perimeno...how to treat it naturally.

Oh no...

Misfit Toy

@Kati -Now I am even more mad. I don't know what to do. I haven't sent an email with a thanks. I can't. I am pissed. I feel heckled.

Misfit Toy

@Kati -I am not doing anything yet. I need to process this. It's creepy. It reminds me of my ex boyfriend. He used to buy me so many presents and try and control my business and when I would tell him, STOP..he continued because he thought "no" meant yes and that I liked it. He was/is a controlling obsessive person.

@WillowJ -thanks Willow. How are your migraines? I am hoping the Topomax is still helping!

AndyPandy

Making the most of it

Yikes! :sluggish:

Misfit Toy

@WillowJ -Florinef really helps. I just went to the Jeffeson Headache Center and the neurologist I saw there was so against me being on it because it's a Barbituate, but I only take it when I have a migraine and it works. It really works. i am glad the Topiarimate is still working.

Kati

Patient in training
@Kati -I am not doing anything yet. I need to process this. It's creepy. It reminds me of my ex boyfriend. He used to buy me so many presents and try and control my business and when I would tell him, STOP..he continued because he thought "no" meant yes and that I liked it. He was/is a controlling obsessive person.

@WillowJ -thanks Willow. How are your migraines? I am hoping the Topomax is still helping!

Take all the time you need to process it.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Too much progesterone, but then there is where it ends up downstream! Progesterone can take many different pathways!

hormone_chart1.jpg

Misfit Toy

@August59 - I know...that is the problem with hormones or taking them. When I took pregnenolone, I converted it into estrogen and I was panic sticken on it. I take hormones and my body does crazy things with them.

I was on a hormone soup a few years ago that put me in bed for almost 4 months. Estriol and DHEA, progesterone, pregnenolone...my body was an absolute mess and that's when I realized that me and hormones don't work too well together.

Once, I was on the pill and stopped getting my period from the pill! And, I wasn't on it all month continuously. So odd.

bertiedog

@Misfit Toy My suggestion is that you read the book Whose pulling your Strings by Harriet Braiker. Its about manipulation and how to break its cycle. There are some great suggestions in this book and explains how you can deal with people like your so called friend.

I have recommended it to several of my friends who have been having difficulties.

Hope this helps.

Pam

Valentijn

I think you should "thank" her by returning the favor, and sending her a book from Amazon. I suggest something from the interpersonal relationship section with "passive aggressive", "narcissism", and/or "manipulation" in the title :rofl:

But whatever approach you choose to take, I think dumping her is going to be the only option. Sending you the book in response to you telling her your feelings was completely and 100% inappropriate and a dysfunctional response. I doubt there's any way to reason with her.

Misfit Toy

Thanks, guys. Between messed up hormones, it being overly hot here suddenly (affecting my pain big time) and her doing this...I hardly slept last night.

I have not written her. @Valentijn -it's so funny because I actually thought of sending her a book about CFS or Sjogrens from Amazon. Or, about how chiropractors can help with back issues since she refuses to go to a chiropractor and says, "they don't work for me." In other words, do to her what she is doing to me.

I am really upset about this. My mom made a point of saying that I have lost so many friends and it must be something I am doing..."It can't all be them." I don't always take what my mom says to heart. We are talking about someone who has dementia. But...it's been getting to me because now I will be losing another "friend" and it hurts.

I am taking this really hard. But, it is what it is.

It's a beautiful day here. I wish I could enjoy it. I am tired and this progesterone is stuck in my body. My sleep is a mess and I have been sweating at night.

Again, thanks everyone! I am doing nothing right now. Meaning...not responding to this book being sent to me. I am ignoring her and withdrawing from her.

brenda

Maybe you're feeling a bit negative while you are recovering, and later you will feel a bit more positive that the relationship has possibilities still. Not a good time to be making big decisions. I have a sort of friend who has brought me to the brink of ending things due to her not understanding my illness, but l know that she really does care about me. As things have turned out, we have improved but l know her limitations and l don't discuss my illness with her. There are ways round obstacles and books to help with boundaries. Its a shame to end it l think if she cares and l tell you l would be touched if someone wanted to help me heal instead of just patching things up with meds. She sounds like she is ill herself and in a bad situation and trying her best to heal herself and l wish l had a friend like that who would care enough to send me a book. You don't have to follow her suggestions do you? If so then ignore this but l don't recall you saying that she forced you. Good luck!

Misfit Toy

@brenda-she doesn't believe in CFS. She doesn't believe Sjogrens is a real disease either. This is not someone who just sends me a book. She sends me 3 since December. One on how disc herniations don't cause pain, and 2 on hormones. This is a pushy person with a husband who cheats on her, lies to her, and who tried to be with me last year.

I have experienced a ton of drama due to her not wanting to leave a horrible relationship. I have accepted her inability to leave him and I rarely ever ask her to because she is too mentally weak.

We don't talk about normal things. We talk about her relationship, him not having a job after 3 years still, all of her plastic surgery to look young, all of her holistic protocols that she believes work for her, but they really don't. We never do anything I want to do because her life is too fixed and controlled.

And, we talk about how to fix me. How to send me to this person, that person, read this book, take this supplement, etc.

I recently saw her at a store and I literally hid from her so that I wouldn't have to see her because I was so sick of her and her pushy attitude. That told me something and that was long before this recent altercation.

I understand your point. But we aren't talking about a book....we are talking about books and an appointment back in 2013 that she paid for me to go to with a spiritual healer that I said NO, I don't want to see this person. I had to go see her because she paid $100 for me to go see her and sent me the voucher via email. It's nuts. This spiritual healer told me that I was sick because my dad who is dead....was hanging around me in this world and needed to cross over into heaven and stop sucking off of my energy. She assisted my dad to heaven.

That is crazy and my friend believes in it. After this spiritual healer assisted my dad into heaven, which is hilarious, I was no better and I was livid that she bought this for me to do when I said I didn't want to and I felt like I had to go because it was $100 appointment that she paid for.