• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Too Much Progesterone and Pushy People-Because it works for them, it must work for you.

tango

I just wondered if you ever solved your progesterone issue. For me estrogen is wonderful. It reduces pain, increases energy and mood, lifts brain fog. Progesterone does the opposite. I feel grumpy, angry, tired, emotional, depressed, sore and generally am not a fun person to be around.

You can't take E without P so I'm kind of stuck. I want to feel the way the E makes me feel!

I am trialling pregnenolone (very low dose, I'm tipping tiny bits out of the capsule so it's kind of 2-5mg a day) but there seems to be enough progesterone in there to make me waaaaay too cranky and tearful. Cried this morning when a shop sold out of something I wanted and I saw someone carting the last of the stock out of the shop - which should have been MINE! I tell you progesterone is evil for me.

Misfit Toy

I just wondered if you ever solved your progesterone issue.

I just had my thyroid removed and I am in a super hard time with that because I need to get my thyroid regulated. It's been a bit of a roller coaster ride that is making me sick.

No, not on progesterone, but need to figure something out as I have a large fibroid.

Estrogen makes me nuts, so interesting....everyone is so different. I had horrible panic attacks on Estrogen and swore...never again. Plus, I have endometriosis and that is something you don't need when you have endo.

Pregnenelone to me is the devil. It can convert to estrogen or progesterone. It all depends on what your individual body does with it. I converted it into estrogen. No good for me.

tango

You sure have had a hard time @Misfit Toy

Were you on natural or synthetic estrogen? Maybe that will make a difference for you?

My pregnenolone feels like it's going down the progesterone pathway!

Progesterone is the devil for me. It actually destroyed my estrogen. When my tests were done my progesterone had gone up a little and my estrogen was below the measurable level. The doctor said that it had done something to the estrogen receptor cells. She put me on estrogen only for a short period to restore the balance but as soon as progesterone was added back in I felt awful, got hot flashes and horrible dizziness that hasn't completely subsided and I stopped progesterone well over a year ago. Horrid stuff!

Invisible Woman

I just had my thyroid removed and I am in a super hard time with that because I need to get my thyroid regulated. It's been a bit of a roller coaster ride that is making me sick.

Good luck with the thyroid. I still have mine but have hashimoto's & it's really difficult to work out the right treatments and doses etc. Put together with sex hormone problems -nightmare.

I have had some gynae difficulties over the past few years & really excessive bleeding. The docs love pushing progesterone but I either have an allergic reaction or turn into a rage-monster. Very difficult to quell the urge to poke someone in the eye when they keep giving you the same advice that didn't work last time!

tango

Have you guys seen the posts on progesterone intolerance. I honestly believe I have it. Maybe it means something else is wrong (adrenal/thyroid) but the effect is the same.

http://endowriter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/01/cant-stand-pill-brief-introduction-to.html

One study says that the progesterone intolerance is biphasic and only a problem at low doses but at high doses it's fine so my doctor tried to increase my doses (still not super high but high for me) and I got unrelenting nausea and hot flashes. The hot flashes stopped when I stopped the bioidentical progesterone but the dizziness and nausea still haunts me more than a year later. I would love to stabilize it.

Invisible Woman

only a problem at low doses but at high doses it's fine

Well, maybe for some. I was put on a course of what I now know was a high dose of progesterone. It made me very, very aggressive. It was awful. This was in the relatively early days of my ME too and being on a hair trigger rage-wise did me know good at all. Anger takes so much energy.

I took myself off it in the end - I was afraid I would hurt either myself or someone else. For me it was better to live with the gynae probs. But then in those days my gynae probs weren't that bad and I also developed a nasty rash as a side effect too.

Shame. If they work for a person or if you can find the right type they can make a big difference.

tango

Well, maybe for some. I was put on a course of what I now know was a high dose of progesterone. It made me very, very aggressive. It was awful. This was in the relatively early days of my ME too and being on a hair trigger rage-wise did me know good at all. Anger takes so much energy.

I took myself off it in the end - I was afraid I would hurt either myself or someone else. For me it was better to live with the gynae probs. But then in those days my gynae probs weren't that bad and I also developed a nasty rash as a side effect too.

Shame. If they work for a person or if you can find the right type they can make a big difference.
Was it synthetic progesterone? If it was maybe the bioidentical may have a better result?

Mine was all bioidentical and I tried pills and cream

Invisible Woman

Was it synthetic progesterone? If it was maybe the bioidentical may have a better result?

To be honest, the first time I tried was quite a long time ago and frankly, I don't know.

I just got to the point where over the years I had tried the range of the top things that UK gynaecologists would recommend. They didn't work for me - or worked for a very short time and then I either had an allergic reaction or suffered too badly from some other type of side effect.

Bottom line - I simply will not try any progesterone treatments any more. If the problem comes back then the only solution I will consider is a hysterectomy. For me it just takes too much out of me and it takes too long for me to come back from faffing around with progesterone. Coping with ME takes priority over gynae probs. With a bit of luck the menopause will kick in soon and, fingers crossed, that will solve the issue for me.

Mel9

It's funny. Everyone loves her. Loves..."she is so sweet." She is as sweet as candy. Overly. But they don't know her. I know a different person. She is a people pleaser. And a control freak. If we go out to eat, we only eat where she wants to eat. She can only eat at certain restaurants. This one is too loud, this one has horrible chicken, this one plays Sinatra...and she hates Sinatra. So, we do and go where she wants and do what she wants. Over it.

Toxic

Misfit Toy

Were you on natural or synthetic estrogen? Maybe that will make a difference for you

I was on natural estrogen. My FSH was so high signaling that my ovaries were so screwed up on the estrogen and thought I was in menopause. The estrogen was putting me into meno. I think a lot of it has to do with your liver. If you don't have a great liver, you won't utilize it properly.

Progesterone is better for me, but too much of it and I am psycho.

I think it's our screwed up bodies. Well people can be fine on this, we seem to turn it upside down.

For my new large fibroid, I am on chinese herbs. Trying to shrink it that way. Will not have a hysterectomy. You can kill me first. Nothing else is being taken out of my body unless it's cancer. That's it.

Misfit Toy

I've been thinking of you and wondering how you have been going post op.

Hey, Andy! Thank you. Yes, I have been quite unwell and honestly feeling the lowest I have ever felt. The fatigue I have is unlike anything I have ever had. I feel brain dead and I sleep so much. I have never been a major sleeper, but man am I sleeping too much. I never feel well rested or wake up feeling better. I can't listen to long complicated stories and I am not even watching much TV. I can't focus.

I rarely go out, or if I do, it's to a doctor or today for an iron infusion.

Either fatigue or extreme and I do mean extreme unrelenting anxiety. I have to take ativan. I never felt this bad prior to my thyroid being out and my numbers on T4 and T3 are a little crazy.

I just went on Cytomel along with my NDT. So, we will see if that changes anything.

My hair is falling out a little, but nothing too alarming. No weight gain, or not much. 2 pounds maybe.

The problem is....without a thyroid, you don't do well with low iron and low adrenals and I have both. You need the proper amount of hemoglobin for the meds to work and if your adrenals are stressed, which will happen without the thyroid, you don't do well so I am working on both.

I hope you are okay and that everyone is! I haven't checked in that much because I am so unwell and sleeping so much. But, I think of many and hope to get back on here again!

Much love....

u&iraok

I am really upset about this. My mom made a point of saying that I have lost so many friends and it must be something I am doing..."It can't all be them." I don't always take what my mom says to heart. We are talking about someone who has dementia. But...it's been getting to me because now I will be losing another "friend" and it hurts.

I really hope you don't take this statement to heart. I know it's from someone important to you and even though she has dementia it still could get into your psyche.

This is one of my least favorite statements: "It can't all be them". Yes...it...can.

My second least favorite statement: "It must be something you're doing." Why must it?