• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

To Have a Pet or Not with ME/CFS, Fibromyalgia and/or Long COVID + a Good-Bye to River

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
A recent blog from Health Rising.

It's not all about the research or even finding good treatments. It's also about getting through these diseases in as good shape as possible, and for me - my dogs, River and Skye - have been a big help.

Whether or not to have a pet when you have ME/CFS, FM, or long COVID is a big decision. It took me 30 years to decide yes - I wanted to have a dog again - and thankfully, it worked out. I've never looked back.

This blog explores the pros and cons of having a pet and ends with a tribute to River - my friend for 12 years - who passed away earlier this year.

Check out the blog and please give your experiences - good or bad - of having pets with these diseases in

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2024/01/05/pet-chronic-fatigue-fibromyalgia-long-covid-river/

Rufous McKinney

We always had a beloved dog, enriching our lives.

And now I can't, really, have one. Dogs enjoy covering territory, and I can't take one out for walks.

a Service dog visited me recently. It was very strange, and almost difficult being around this dog energy. Moving about my apartment, sniffing everything and its a big dog, I always had big dogs, too.

My cognitive challenges mean somehow having the dog around was stressful.

But none of that means somebody else couldn't consider maybe having a pet, But do think carefully because it would also be hurtful to have to give up a pet one took on.

ilivewithcfs

So sorry to hear, that River passed away. I know,it can be really hard.
Personally, I feel like living with CFS and having a dog can be problematic for me. Now I have to be really careful with how much energy I spend in order to not get PEM, and I know that walking a dog two times a day is too much for me.
I have 2 cats though, and they are lovely! It's easy to take care of them, and despite cats' reputation, they are very loving and affectionate. They sleep with me, meditate with me, follow me around, demand hugs every day and just generally make my life so much better.

BrightCandle

I couldn't look after a dog because I can't walk it. A cat maybe but it wanting to be fed and dealing with cat issues all the time it's just energy I don't have. I can't look after myself so there is no way I can care for an animal.

Zebra

Pet ownership and companionship is something I think about, and dream about, on a DAILY basis. It makes me really sad that I haven't had a furry friend of my own in 30 years of adulthood.

In addition to the physical challenges of caring for pets, which is simply not possible for me right now, there is also the cost of veterinary care for regular check ups and unforseen illness and emergencies.

For those of us on fixed incomes, like SSDI or LTD benefits, it might not be possible to take on a pet in good conscience.

L'engle

moogle
I love cats and dogs. The only reason I get to have a cat is because other family members feed and clean the litter box.

Another issue is that it means more potential infections for your immune system to fight off. Or ticks if they go outside. And its just more work to keep your living space clean, which is hard enough for most of us.

That in addition to the cost of vet bills, stress etc.

It's sad not to be able to care for an animal which could make our lives richer and more enjoyable.