• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tmj

Jyoti

Yes, indeed. In my case, I am sure there is a connection to problems (still to be officially diagnosed--Dr. B is taking a LONG time!) in my CCJ. It makes sense, right? Do you suspect CCI, or any other cervical spine issues?

sb4

I read an article that went into some detail on this. Essentially the TMJ is often caused by the jaw being too far back due to the maxilla (upper jaw/pallete) not growing further forwards enough.

When you chew food with your molars, the jaw has to retract as far back as possible so that the lower molars line up correctly with the upper molars. This pushes the collegen part of the TMJ out of position. When you open your mouth to chew it pops back into the correct position and that is the poping sound you hear.

Anyway, the solution to this problem is protruding the jaw slightly whenever you are not eating. So just jut your jaw forwards a little at rest.

I have been doing this for a couple of weeks with far less TMJ issues. I am also trying to change my bite further forwards although that wasn't mentioned in the article.

sb4

@frozenborderline I know you suffer with neck issues. Have you ever looked into Esther Gokhale and Mike Mew? I believe if you combine these two methods, you achieve a natural posture in which your cervical spine is in constant traction.

frozenborderline

@frozenborderline I know you suffer with neck issues. Have you ever looked into Esther Gokhale and Mike Mew? I believe if you combine these two methods, you achieve a natural posture in which your cervical spine is in constant traction.
Actually my sister has me experiment with some of these things. I havent found it to work. I think the problem is these are based on similar idea to chiropractors that 6oure simply out of alignment. But an adjustment can't hold if the ligaments are damaged.