• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tina Turner chanting on Larry King

MEKoan

Wow, If, that was great! I wish I could chant like that. I didn't know Tina Turner was Buddhist but it doesn't surprise me.

thanks!

BEG

This was as educational as it was interesting. Tolerance of religious beliefs and repsect of individuality, if practiced by all, probably would end all wars. Thanks for the post islandfinn.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Here's another version of The Lotus Sutra, chanted by some western Buddhist monks.

"The Lotus Sutra is Buddha's most referred to teaching on "emptiness", it is said to be a central concept and necessary part of enlightenment. It is professed that understanding and experiencing "emptiness" is something that can not be taught; it is said that one can not try to understand it with the mind...

The lotus sutra is widely considered to be the most sacred teaching of the Buddha."

"All The benefits of the Lotus Sutra can be realized by chanting the six syllables Nam Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo"
Here's more info about it: http://www.squidoo.com/NamMyohoRengeKyo#module2181206

Chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo one is able to reveal the state of Buddhahood in one's life, experienced as the natural development of joy, increased vitality, courage, wisdom and compassion."

[video=youtube;r364h19dXio]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r364h19dXio&feature=related[/video]

Sunday

Loved Tina Turner, if. And it was fun to hear her talk about it from a singing point of view (I'm a former singer, and she's right: getting it right technically changes the experience and makes it fly).

soulfeast

Being a bit muscially and rhythmically dense... does any one know of a how to chant for dummies resource? I would very much like to try this.

Sunday

OK, I learned about music in the womb so what works for me may or may not work for you - are you an ear person? Because really, finding a recording of the chant that you like - you MUST like the quality of voice and feel comfortable with the rhythm, so you'd probably want a slow one to start - finding that recording and singing along with it is the second best way to learn. Chanting with a real live person is the best way, but hard for someone with CFS unless you just happen to live with one!

There are a lot of online resources for recordings, so you could shop around without ever leaving your house. Or you might find one on YouTube that you can use: just search on the chant phrase at the YouTube site and see (or listen to) what you get. Even if you play it in the background while you do something else, it will be going into your head. You know how you remember obnoxious commercial jingles? A chant can get in your head just the same way. Just let it.

Music's all about the ear and the body, and about how things feel. The intellect can help, but it's not the primary source of musical knowledge. Music goes much deeper than that.