• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Timed Release Drug Delivery System of Curcumin (Turmeric) Stops Bone Cancer Cell Growth

Wally

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/06/190620121404.htm
f
Timed release of turmeric stops cancer cell growth

Date:​
June 20, 2019​
Source:​
Washington State University​
Summary:​
A new research team has developed a drug delivery system using curcumin, the main ingredient in the spice turmeric, that successfully inhibits bone cancer cells while promoting growth of healthy bone cells.​
Turmeric has been used in cooking and as medicine for centuries in Asian countries, and its active ingredient, curcumin has been sho(wn to have anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and bone-building capabilities. It has also been shown to prevent various forms of cancers.

"I want people to know the beneficial effects of these natural compounds," said Bose. "Natural biomolecules derived from these plant-based products are inexpensive and a safer alternative to synthetic drugs."

However, when taken orally as medicine, the compound can't be absorbed well in the body. It is metabolized and eliminated too quickly.

In their study, the researchers used 3D printing to build support scaffolds out of calcium phosphate. While most implants are currently made of metal, such ceramic scaffolds, which are more like real bone, could someday be used as a graft material after bone cancer surgery. The researchers incorporated curcumin, encapsulated in a vesicle of fat molecules into the scaffolds, allowing for the gradual release of the chemical.
Liposome-Encapsulated Curcumin-Loaded 3D Printed Scaffold for Bone Tissue Engineering. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2019; 11 (19): 17184 DOI: 10.1021/acsami.9b01218

HowToEscape?

From the abstract (full paper is not free).
"in vitro osteosarcoma (bone cancer) cells "

That means the experiment was conducted in a piece of lab glassware. Things that work in a lab dish frequently (as in, usually) don't work out in humans, at least not live ones. So, if you have any lab dishes with bone cancer, this is worth a try.

Which gives me an excuse to post one of my fav comics:

cells.png