• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

three weeks headache fixed with betahistine

pattismith

betahistine is a drug for vertigo.

It improves brain blood flow, so I think it's the way it works for me.

it seems to be efficient on sleepiness as well, I hope the effects will keep going!

Eleven patients of vertigo comprised 7 female and 4 male patients. Average age of the patients was 58.6 years.

The duration of vertigo ranged from 1 month to 10 years. Neurotologic examination showed no peripheral cause of vertigo in any patient.

SPECT study of these 11 patients at baseline revealed no perfusion abnormality in 2 patients.

Nine patients showed evidence of ischaemia on baseline study.

Two patients were lost to follow-up [Table I].

Seven patients completed the study and could be followed up for repeat SPECT images after betahistine therapy.

Out of 7, six patients showed significant improvement in perfusion after betahistine therapy.
One patient showed partial improvement in perfusion. [Table II]

The regional distribution of perfusion abnormalities in these 7 patients at baseline is given in [Table III].

There were 18 abnormal areas of which 4 were in cerebellar, 9 in temporal and 5 in parieto-occipital regions.

After betahistine therapy, there was complete normalisation of perfusion in all cerebellar areas.

Seven out of 9 temporal areas improved while 3 out of 5 parietooccipital areas showed improvement in perfusion [Figure. 1-3] .

The SPECT results matched with the clinical findings, patients' own assessment and investigators' assessment.

Six patients expressed complete relief from vertigo attacks.
One patient indicated that attacks were milder and less frequent, indicating partial improvement.
Thus there was a good correlation between the clinical findings and the SPECT studies.
The associated symptoms such as nausea, vomiting and tinnitus improved with betahistine therapy.

No untoward side effects like drowsiness and gastrointestinal disturbances were reported by any patient.

Rheoencephalographic and other studies of betahistine in humans: I. The cerebral and peripheral circulatory effects of single doses in normal subjects - PubMed (nih.gov)

Comparative responses of the carotid and vertebral arterial systems of rhesus monkeys to betahistine. (ahajournals.org)

Pre and post betahistine therapy 99m Tc - HMPAO brain spect studies in patients with vertigo. Krishna BA, Kirtane MV, Sangeeta T, Gopinath G Neurol India (neurologyindia.com)

Betahistine Exerts a Dose-Dependent Effect on Cochlear Stria Vascularis Blood Flow in Guinea Pigs In Vivo (plos.org)

Vertebrobasilar Arterial Insufficiency with Dementia. Controlled Trials of Treatment with Betahistine Hydrochloride * | Semantic Scholar

Last edited: