• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thread on gabaergics and gaba analogues/prodrugs

frozenborderline

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GABA_analogue#GABA_prodrugs

This whole Wikipedia page is great and way more fruitful than I would’ve thought

First thought —what is with the Soviets and really interesting gaba prodrugs that have a broad range of protective effects?

Second thought: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isovaline

What the heck ??? “Isovaline is a rare amino acidtransported to earth by the Murchison meteorite, which landed in Australia in 1969. The discovery of isovaline in the biosphere demonstrates an extraterrestrial origin of amino acids and has been linked to the homochirality of life on earth [1] suggesting a role in the origin of life.[2]...
The structure of isovaline is similar to the amino acids GABA and glycine, the chief inhibitory neurotransmitters in the mammalian central nervous system. Isovaline acts as an analgesic in mice [3][4] by activating peripheral GABABreceptors.[4][5] In a mouse model of osteoarthritis isovaline restored mobility, suggesting inhibition of nociception by isovaline in the synovial membrane of the mouse knee.[4]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Nimbus Sans L, Arial, Liberation Sans, sans-serif]There are lots of really interesting and possibly helpful compounds on this page although I don’t know where one would source some of them. @Hip you May find this interesting [/FONT]

leokitten

tiagabine

A GABA reuptake inhibitor (GRI) that I’ve taken occasionally to help with ME sleep disturbance, inversion, etc.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@debored13
What a phenomenal post !!! Thank you so much, especially for the fascinating info re Isovaline.

And I agree ... the Russians (Soviets? So hard to tell anymore) seem to be several leagues ahead of US in terms of researching and developing really interesting new compounds, in a lot of areas, GABA not being the least by any means.

Again, thanks for this post and thread, looking forward to more input here.

On another track entirely, how are you doing lately?