• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thoughts on this probiotic?

My partner came across a probiotic brand recently and I thought I’d share the ingredients to see if any of the gut experts have any thoughts on it. I know Ken Lassesen is very big on antibiotics combined with probiotics and it’s generally believed the gut plays a key and potentially central role in ME.

Personally I’ve found drinking some bone broth in the morning and adjusting my diet to low carb has had noticeable benefits. I think adding the Japanese probiotic Miyarisan (clostridium butyricium - butyrate-producing bacteria) to my regime has also helped.

Obviously gut biomes are very idiosyncratic and there’s unlikely to be a single holy grail product that fixes everyone.

But was wondering if any of the smart people on here who are well versed in the gut side of ME and what strains are typically over or under expressed have any thoughts on this product (screenshot attached).

One thing I noticed is it seems to have very high CFU and the product quality seems to be high (delivery to intestine). Good signs imo. But am interested in whether the strains are likely to be beneficial.

https://www.yourheights.com/products/smart-probiotic/

Attachments

• 9D80F440-5DA7-4CDF-A6A7-4D8120A05D04.png
    9D80F440-5DA7-4CDF-A6A7-4D8120A05D04.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 26

katabasis

Interestingly, two of the strains present in this probiotic (the Rosell-52 and the Rosell 175) are the same as those in the 'Innovix Mood Probiotic' I've had some success with - see my thread about that here. Long story short, I found some research suggesting these particular strains have neuroendocrine effects, which I think may be uniquely important in dealing with the GI manifestations of CFS.

It looks like the site you linked to has references to research for each of the strains in the probiotic, which I really appreciate. I've been thinking of incorporating more strains in my probiotic intake, and there's already some overlap between my current regimen and this product, so maybe I'll give it a shot after I run out of my usual stuff.

LINE

Side Note: Just wanted to add that the recent research articles were linking a decrease in certain bacteria and ME people. The bacteria involved (decreased) are butyrate producers and are oxygen hating (anerobic) which leads to an issue in that cannot be produced in commercial products. There seems to be interaction between species though.

Interestingly, two of the strains present in this probiotic (the Rosell-52 and the Rosell 175) are the same as those in the 'Innovix Mood Probiotic' I've had some success with - see my thread about that here. Long story short, I found some research suggesting these particular strains have neuroendocrine effects, which I think may be uniquely important in dealing with the GI manifestations of CFS.

It looks like the site you linked to has references to research for each of the strains in the probiotic, which I really appreciate. I've been thinking of incorporating more strains in my probiotic intake, and there's already some overlap between my current regimen and this product, so maybe I'll give it a shot after I run out of my usual stuff.

Really interesting rundown of your experience with that other probiotic and its proposed effect on the HPA axis.

HPA axis constantly comes up as central to ME so reading what you shared makes a lot of sense. Hopefully you get on well with this if your try it. It’s definitely on my to-try list.

Side Note: Just wanted to add that the recent research articles were linking a decrease in certain bacteria and ME people. The bacteria involved (decreased) are butyrate producers and are oxygen hating (anerobic) which leads to an issue in that cannot be produced in commercial products. There seems to be interaction between species though.

Oh so butyrate reduction from some strains in this product (although may be offset by other strains in it)?

Definitely been trying to boost butyrate recently including by adding metformin which I have a strange reaction to - possibly some lactic acidosis. Metformin seems to make me even more fatigued but with the benefit of feeling in less discomfort/pain. Will be experimenting with sub 100mg to see if I can find a sweet spot with it. Think it has potential for improving biome. Tricky one!

LINE

There are some species that produce butyrate more effectively. There also seems to be some cross-linking among probiotic species, in other words, they can influence each other. How something is going to respond seems to be an individual thing as you know.

Metformin can affect vitamin B12 and folic acid if I remember correctly.

I see yes. Yes everyone’s so individual and without extensive genetic and biome profiling it’s like flying blind. Just have to experiment and go slow.

thanks for the heads up re metformin and B12 and folic acid. You’re right and I wasn’t aware of that. Thank you