• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thoughts on Ketamine?

I stumbled across ketamine for my "chronic migraines" and find that it relieves a lot of my symptoms, though I don't understand why. I suspect CCI is my biggest issue and am hoping to pursue treatment for that, but curious to hear others' thoughts on why/how ketamine may be helpful. It's the only thing so far that has made me feel a little more normal, though my ME has progressed significantly since I started on it. So I also wonder if it may be contributing to my decline. Just curious what anyone knows about it as it relates to ME/CFS. Thanks.

hmnr asg

im doing ketamine for my chronic nerve pain (Trigeminal neuralgia). It helps with the pain but it doesn't do anything to the cfs (no better or worse). But the sessions can be very draining and I try to be careful not to crash.
I have spoken with a CFS doctor (Hector Bonilla at Stanford) about ketamine for cfs. His experience was also that it helps with pain but doesn't do a thing for cfs.

im doing ketamine for my chronic nerve pain (Trigeminal neuralgia). It helps with the pain but it doesn't do anything to the cfs (no better or worse). But the sessions can be very draining and I try to be careful not to crash.
I have spoken with a CFS doctor (Hector Bonilla at Stanford) about ketamine for cfs. His experience was also that it helps with pain but doesn't do a thing for cfs.

I found that ketamine infusions make me crash, but low-dose ketamine via nasal spray or troche is helpful.

Hello, I go to the hospital twice a week now for ketamine treatment by using 3 nasal sprays a session (brand Spravato). I listen to music while "trippin" to avoid a bad trip which has happened once without music and that was pretty terrifying. So after a month it definitely has a positive impact on my depression which was so bad a few months ago I was suicidal. For the first hour I'm usually totally sedated, experiencing incredible stuff but the sedation goes away pretty fast too. I don't feel more tired next day because of the ketamine.
Since my moods are much better on average, it also has a positive impact on my CFS, I have less pains and a bit more energy. It's no cure though, and I don't know the positive aspects will remain once the treatment will decrease to once a week, then once every 2 weeks, then stop. Time will tell.