• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Those little red spots under the skin and the vaccine

Booble

Ok, so I've gotten over my fear about allergic reactions to vaccine but now I'm stuck on the thrombocytopenia situation.

I have always gotten a lot of those red spots (petichiae and pupura) under my skin and after my bad virus in Dec 2019 got a ton more of them. Evidently a rare side effect from the vaccines is thrombocytopenia where your immune system attacks your platelets and platelet counts can go to zero. This can cause bleeding in the brain and death. The tell tale sign is getting those little red blood spots.

I was getting myself psyched up to get the J&J vaccine but now I feel back to wanting to wait it out further.

Has anyone here who gets a lot of those red spots gotten the vaccine yet and/or plan to? I don't want to chicken out but I don't want to be stupid either if I'm not a good candidate for the vaccine. I haven't taken any flu shots (not because of this, just because I always figured the flu was dangerous for those over 65 which I'm not at yet) and haven't had any vaccines since I was a kid.

Your thoughts?

Booble

Is the risk the same for all the covid vaccine options?

Not sure. Ultimately they all get your immune system to react to what looks like the SARS-COV2 virus. Whether one pushes your system to the limit or not is unclear. And then there is the question of adjuvants which are designed to get an even deeper immune response. Plus the inactive ingredients.

Presumably they are all safe for those with normal immune systems and hopefully safe for...well...us.

vision blue

Have you had thrombocytopenia? and for those who do, is there an official recommendation to whether they should get vaccine? doen'st mean advice should be followed, but would provide another piece of info relevent to your concern of getting thrombocytopenia if those who already have it are advised to avoid vaccine - or are told it is ok.

I went through and compared the ingredients of all the vaccines which is how i had decided that if i do try it, the pfizer is the safest choice for my concerns (I should have put safest in quotes). Maybe you can do the same for your concerns? e.g. if adjuctivants increses the risk of thrombocytopenia then avoid those. You'll need to get into the nitty gritty yourself of mechanisms.

Booble

No, I have not had thrombocytopenia. I'm assuming mine is just lower than normal platelets from the unusually large number of petechiae and pupura and bruising. I have been looking at the guidance on it for those that do have it or have had it in the past. Usually at this point they say discuss with your doctor and I don't have one.

I've been doing the same as you in terms of carefully reviewing the ingredients to determine the best option for me. I'm also allergic to contrast dye so I have to watch out for that one too. I'm hoping that J&J is the answer because only going through one shot would, if nothing else, reduce the post-shot worry.