• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

This cure works.com anyone?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi, i was surfing around yesterday as this site wouldnt work and i came across the site "This cure works.com" which contains an E Book you can pay to download by ian solley. he is british and recovered from CFS/ME - he doesnt say how, but hints that it could be to do with detoxing. He claims to have done extensive research in the area.

Anybody brought the book or know anything about it? It costs 12.95, and i dont mind the cost if its going to be helpful, or at least pull all the info together in one place, but i have allready spent a lot of money trying to get better. I dont want to feel ripped off.
Input appreciated. xx Justy

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi justy - there are so many people making claims about recovery and what helped them. All of us are biologically different, any of us might have different conditions (because ME/CFS is not well defined and there is a lot of misdiagnosis) and co-conditions and so even if something did work for someone, it's hard to know whether it will work for anyone else. I generally feel sceptical about people's theories and claims about CFS based on their individual recovery.

Also, if I had recovered from ME, I would post the information about how I did it for free on the internet where everyone could see it and benefit. I wouldn't try to make a buck out of my very sick co-patients unless I was going to use that money to help more patients. I'd also avoid over-claiming; if I was still at all impaired I certainly wouldn't use the word "cure". And I wouldn't just hint about what was in the book, I'd make it very clear so that people had enough information to make an informed choice about whether they wanted to spend 13. I'd understand that, for the disabled, 13 is a lot of money.

Perhaps I am cynical but when people are vague about what you'll get, are charging money and making a very strong claim, I feel sceptical. If you're interested in detoxing specifically, you can probably find balanced opinions and good info here on Phoenix Rising. Why not start a thread asking for advice on detoxing?

justy

Thanks Sasha! your thoughts on the matter are very similar to my own.

alex3619

Hi justy, I first reviewed a book on curing CFS back in 2000 or so, prior to publication. It was quite long, had specific suggestions, and was based on a theory that was physically impossible (Chemistry 101 impossible) - but the author didn't want to know that. It might have been beneficial on a subset of patients despite the dodgy theory, and wasn't a lot different from some of what I was recommending at the time. The author eventually published his work himself; I don't think regular publishers would have a bar of it. A free ebook from a recovered patient would be worth looking at just on the off-chance; however my view is that if it costs money I want to know why a regular publishing house hasn't accepted it. I would also want to know how the author confirmed their diagnosis - CFS in the UK could be totally different from, say, ME in Canada. We have no way of placing the author in any subgroup without this kind of knowledge, and therefore have no way of knowing who might benefit.

Bye
Alex

justy

Thanks Garcia - thats so naughty!

I like your idea of giving some money to the WPI - will do this A.S.A.P

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Thanks Garcia - thats so naughty!

I like your idea of giving some money to the WPI - will do this A.S.A.P

Thanks Justy, you are a star! (as is anyone who donates to WPI).

Please guys, donate, donate donate!