• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Third COVID booster reaction/symptoms

gm286

Had my third vaccine booster yesterday. Woke up in the middle of night completely sick — shivering, body pains and sore neck/head. Weirdest of all, I have two spontaneous bruises (blueish color). One on my thigh, and one on the opposite arm of the vaccine shot. Has anyone had this happen (the bruising)?

EDIT: I had been taking aspirin every day for about two weeks prior to my Covid booster shot, so the bruising is 99.999999% likely due squarely to that.

Last edited:

Blue Jay

I didn't have anything like that, @gm286 , but after each vaccination my fatigue has worsened.

My husband, who doesn't have ME but has lung cancer had a fever like reaction with very high temperature. That was three days after vaccination.

There does seem to be a huge variety of reactions as well as folk who don't seem to react at all.

Learner1

Had my third vaccine booster yesterday. Woke up in the middle of night completely sick — shivering, body pains and sore neck/head. Weirdest of all, I have two spontaneous bruises (blueish color). One on my thigh, and one on the opposite arm of the vaccine shot. Has anyone had this happen (the bruising)?
Are you doing any better? It might be wise to seek medical care if not. Blood clotting could be dangerous.

gm286

I'm embarrassed to say that I hung up after a 30 minute wait for on-call doctors (Covid emergency line). I am seeing my generalist in four days. I'm feeling better, symptoms went away. Post-sick tired, but much better. The bruises/hematoma are still there but faded. My partner and I both received Moderna (there were no longer any Pfizer vaccines available so the government started administering Moderna instead). Partner also developed a bruise, except he is susceptible to clotting (he has had major risk in the past).

An asterisk in my case that I did not mention: I had been taking 300mg aspirin for the last two weeks every morning and fibrinolytics (serrapeptase, bromelain), as per the recent "supplementary" apheresis protocol in the case of checking for inflamed blood vessels (long covid / ME/CFS protocol for alleviating inflammation).

Might have played into the situation.

Last edited:

L'engle

moogle
Could you please highlight this detail about the aspirin? The thread is now misleading as it gives people the idea that the shot itself can cause these issues. I would be bleeding like a sieve and covered in bruises if I took aspirin every day for 2 weeks.

Hope you feel better soon.

gm286

Could you please highlight this detail about the aspirin? The thread is now misleading as it gives people the idea that the shot itself can cause these issues. I would be bleeding like a sieve and covered in bruises if I took aspirin every day for 2 weeks.

Hope you feel better soon.

I super-apologize about having not made that clear. I will edit the previous post and embolden it, and annotate my original post to include the fact I had been taking aspirin.

I too had the intense third shot reaction. Most of which has resolved, except the fatigue seems to be here to stay. It's the kind of fatigue I've had when my CFS was at its worst. Not trying to say the shot made my CFS relapse, but the correlation is odd to me.

Booble

I too had the intense third shot reaction. Most of which has resolved, except the fatigue seems to be here to stay. It's the kind of fatigue I've had when my CFS was at its worst. Not trying to say the shot made my CFS relapse, but the correlation is odd to me.

How long has it been since the booster?

hmnr asg

I read on the cfs subreddit that Dr Susan Levin is cautioning her patients against getting the vaccine due to too many cfs patients getting worse after the vaccine.
Also I have a friend with cfs who got much worse after Pfizer and remains significantly more fatigued seven months after getting the vaccine.

I got all vaccines including the booster and after the booster I started having urinary issues that still remain ( although it might have just been a coincidence but I got referred to urologist).

Booble

I read on the cfs subreddit that Dr Susan Levin is cautioning her patients against getting the vaccine due to too many cfs patients getting worse after the vaccine.
Also I have a friend with cfs who got much worse after Pfizer and remains significantly more fatigued seven months after getting the vaccine.

I got all vaccines including the booster and after the booster I started having urinary issues that still remain ( although it might have just been a coincidence but I got referred to urologist).

Well, unless she can promise that her patients won't catch COVID-19 that seems potentially irresponsible. (?)

hmnr asg

Well, unless she can promise that her patients won't catch COVID-19 that seems potentially irresponsible. (?)
I think its a risk-benefit analysis. I am not defending her position and im not even sure if this is true since I just read it on reddit. I personally got all the shots and the booster.
Having said that, if you have CFS you are not very likely to be going out and being social (unless you live with someone). And even then, maybe getting covid is less dangerous than getting permanently worse due to the vaccine? Again, im playing devil's advocate here! im hope if she does in fact make this recommendation its a case by case basis.

Booble

I'll bet the Redditor took it out of context.
Unless that doctor is an anti-vaxxer in general. (?)

Yes, case-by-case if someone need never go out. That's what I was hoping for then reality set in when I had to unexpectedly go to the dentist -- unvaccinated!

I think if a doctor believes the vaccine might cause someone to get permanently worse they would be even more concerned with getting the actual virus.