• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

thin hairs and nails that split easily, a link to any connective tissue disorder?

pattismith

My hairs and nails always have been thin and soft.
Also nails have longitudinal thin folds, I read it can be linked to some acquired connective tissue diseases, but I don't have any of them...

Also have neck and spine problems but no hypermobility.

Moof

I am hypermobile, but to be honest my hair and nails have only become thin and soft with age.

During the period I had the maximum flexibility in my joints – all the way from early childhood to around 40 – I had a head of thick wavy hair that took forever to cut, and my nails would annoy me by growing far too long in seemingly no time at all.

Now...skinny hair, and deeply ridged nails that you can almost peel off at the ends! I'm post-menopausal, though, and it's pretty normal in women of my age.

Belgiangirl

Try zinc, or keratin product treatment on your hair and nail creams.

I have it too, like many others i am afraid though my hair tinned massive during a disease flare up of unknown origin.

ebethc

My hairs and nails always have been thin and soft.
Also nails have longitudinal thin folds, I read it can be linked to some acquired connective tissue diseases, but I don't have any of them...

Also have neck and spine problems but no hypermobility.

ditto on all (hair, nails, neck/spine problems w no hypermobolity)

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
have you checked your blood vitamin c levels? vitamin c is essential for collagen synthesis, which constitutes most of connective tissue