• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

There will never be a cure for CFS...

JES

As Casimir Funk said in 1912 disease is caused by deficiency of vitamins due to lack of variety in the diet.

No he did not. He proposed a hypothesis that vitamin deficiency was linked to certain diseases, such as scurvy or beriberi. There are today over 30,000 diseases known, so the ones he linked to vitamin deficiency would be less than 0.01% of all diseases. His discoveries are from the early 20th century and we now know much more, i.e. that most diseases are far more complicated than a simple lack of micronutrients.

Please provide one credible piece of evidence that demonstrates that CFS/ME is caused by micronutrient deficiency.

robinhood12345

Hmmm, I have my doubts on that one. :angel:

That's okay. You are allowed to doubt. Science proves it is true though.

Excerpt from Funks work:
http://www.mv.helsinki.fi/home/hemila/history/Funk_1912.pdf

This careful selection was absolutely necessary, for there is perhaps no other subject in medicine where so many contradictory and inexact statements were made, which instead of advancing the research retarded it by leadipg investigators in a wrong direction. The deficiency diseases break out in countries where a certain unvarying diet is partaken of for long periods. When this food happens to be deficient in a substance which is necessary for the metabolism, we have the real conditions for the outbreak of this type of disease. From this point of view it is surprising to see peasants in Russia and in other countries, who live on potatoes, cabbage, and a little bacon nearly exempt from these diseases ; it will be seen later, however, that this one-sided food contains apparently all the protective bodies which are necessary.

robinhood12345

No he did not. He proposed a hypothesis that vitamin deficiency was linked to certain diseases, such as scurvy or beriberi. There are today over 30,000 diseases known, so the ones he linked to vitamin deficiency would be less than 0.01% of all diseases. His discoveries are from the early 20th century and we now know much more, i.e. that most diseases are far more complicated than a simple lack of micronutrients.

Please provide one credible piece of evidence that demonstrates that CFS/ME is caused by micronutrient deficiency.

Beri Beri, scurvy, and pellagra are common. If standard blood tests included all the b vitamins, vitamin c, all the other essential nutrients it would become clear real quick what the actual cause of all disease is.

Funk wrote his paper the same year he discovered the first b vitamin. And he still knew vitamin deficiency was the cause of all disease! He predicted the existence of multiple other b vitamins, and vitamin c! And they were later found!

Just look in the literature for deficiency of the b vitamins, and the symptoms they cause. I will find a study or too then post it. Germ theory is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I don't get it??? Physical activity can not cure any disease. Unless you can show me a study showing it has????
You said that
All disease is just micro nutrient deficiency so yes it will cure ME/CFS. :)
and then:
Which is why eating bakers yeast, and or rice bran cereal, and lecitihin will cure most diseases as they contain most of the b vitamins.
And you also said that your activity level was "low," so it doesn't follow that these nutrients heal ME/CFS if you activity level is "low."

robinhood12345

You said that and then:
And you also said that your activity level was "low," so it doesn't follow that these nutrients heal ME/CFS if you activity level is "low."

I suspect I have a genetic disease not just ME/CFS. Am doing WGS so will know in 12 weeks or so. I expect a choline transport defect so have been taking choline for 9 days now. For a normal person without a genetic disease those foods will cure most cases of ME/CFS.

JES

Funk wrote his paper the same year he discovered the first b vitamin. And he still knew vitamin deficiency was the cause of all disease! He predicted the existence of multiple other b vitamins, and vitamin c! And they were later found!

I called you out for claiming that Funk said vitamin deficiency is cause of all diseases. I skimmed through the paper and nowhere in it does he claim vitamin deficiency is the cause of all disease. So clearly this statement you made is factually incorrect. I look forward to seeing a paper that proves the cause of ME/CFS is vitamin deficiency.

By the way, I went through the effort of having all my vitamins and micronutrient levels tested at a clinic several years ago with the best lab methods available in my country. There were no deficiencies found except for a mild vitamin D deficiency, which I have since then corrected. Much like you, I back then thought that some vitamin deficiency alone would solve my mystery, but I was wrong.

robinhood12345

There is very exciting research going on right now on the possible genetic components of ME/CFS--so there may not be a "normal ME/CFS patient" who doesn't have genetic components to their disease.

Most people are not homozygous for a pathogenic mutation. And being heterozygous for one most time won't have any effect. But if someone has been sick for years, tried different nutrient rich foods like yeast, and nothing works WGS is worth doing.

robinhood12345

I called you out for claiming that Funk said vitamin deficiency is cause of all diseases. I skimmed through the paper and nowhere in it does he claim vitamin deficiency is the cause of all disease. So clearly this statement you made is factually incorrect. I look forward to seeing a paper that proves the cause of ME/CFS is vitamin deficiency.

By the way, I went through the effort of having all my vitamins and micronutrient levels tested at a clinic several years ago with the best lab methods available in my country. There were no deficiencies found except for a mild vitamin D deficiency, which I have since then corrected. Much like you, I back then thought that some vitamin deficiency alone would solve my mystery, but I was wrong.

Funk observed the diseases of his time were vitamin deficiency so your statement is factually incorrect. Read his paper not just skim it.

Can you post your labs for plasma testing of b1,b2,b3, b4 (choline), b5,b6,b7 (2 urine organic acids for that), PABA,ADEK, vitamin c? And over 10 of the minerals also? It would be really helpful for other sick people.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Let's stick to the question about whether there will be a cure for ME/CFS as otherwise the thread will lose its focus. Thanks.

Wishful

Symptoms do vary with diet. Which is why eating bakers yeast, and or rice bran cereal, and lecitihin will cure most diseases as they contain most of the b vitamins. Then find a food source of ADEK, vitamin c, and b12 on nutritiondata for them.

My experience says otherwise. I've varied my diet quite a lot during my ME, from a rotating diet (lots of variety) to keto, to cornstarch pancakes for many months (to avoid tryptophan and niacin). By your theory, the cornstarch diet should have made my symptoms worse, but the opposite was true (avoided worse symptoms). Likewise, multivitamins with minerals should have, by your claims, cured my symptoms; instead it made them worse (the niacin did).

Sorry, but your theory doesn't match reality, at least for ME/CFS. Reality trumps 100-year old hypotheses based on limited knowledge.

robinhood12345

When I changed my diet to have lots of bakers yeast, and rice bran cereal i started getting better. Then when I stopped those foods I got sicker again. It took a while to realise it was the choline in it that was helping me. I now take choline bi tartrate every day, and am getting better. I expect to have a choline transporter deficiency. So experimenting with different foods high in different nutrients can certainly give someone a hint as to what they have a problem with, and by experimenting someone can cure their own CFS. So the title of the post is falsified.

CFSTheBear

When I changed my diet to have lots of bakers yeast, and rice bran cereal i started getting better. Then when I stopped those foods I got sicker again. It took a while to realise it was the choline in it that was helping me. I now take choline bi tartrate every day, and am getting better. I expect to have a choline transporter deficiency. So experimenting with different foods high in different nutrients can certainly give someone a hint as to what they have a problem with, and by experimenting someone can cure their own CFS. So the title of the post is falsified.

Why are you posting your pet theories on every thread going when they have 0 substance or evidence to them?

To be back on topic: I think that sadly many people will have treatable areas of their particular condition but never know, due to inadequate testing and/or lack of access to thorough doctors. As for a cure for the overall thing...I’m still not sure myself.