• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

There Are Many People With HIV Who Aren't Ill

starryeyes

So it turns out that there are many people out there who have HIV but have no symptoms, just like XMRV.

Check this out:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE59K41920091021

There are now 2,000 such controllers or "long term nonprogressers" mostly from the United States and Canada, whose blood samples and other data are being closely studied. Now scientists are hoping to bring in others from China, South Africa, Peru, Thailand, Brazil and other parts of the world.

You know.. I always suspected there were many people like this.

Yes, this is very true. Many are HIV+ and do not progress on to AIDS. A friend of mine has been HIV+ for over 23 years and he is not sick nor dying. Also, many may not realize that there are HIV- cases of AIDS. This is one of the arguments that the AIDS rethinkers use against HIV being the true cause of AIDS. When the CDC couldn't explain this little problem, they gave it a new name. This one particular, flaw in the system violates Koch's Postulates, the golden rules of medicine. In actuality, there are really very few "true", new AIDS patients each year in America. And with these, half are classified with AIDS due to low CD4's, being under 200. In reality, there are millions with chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, and other immune diseases. Yet AIDS gets all the funding! AIDS has become a politicial disease, as it is unAmerica to speak out against it. But myself and others do. I had full-blown AIDS, so I do have some credibility about this.

Also, this joke is humorus but true, how do you hide millions of new AIDS cases, you just call it chronic fatigue! If you check the AIDS symptoms and the chronic fatigue symtoms, they are definitely in the same family, something rethinkers have connected the dots long ago. These sites and others are so important so to get more attention drawn to other deserving immune diseases. If you go to the Fair Foundation, become a member, you will see exactly how much of your tax dollar goes to each disease. By far, way too much money is going to AIDS research, when only around 15,000 new AIDS cases are being diagnosed each year, with only half of these people even being sick out of 300 million. Enough of this nonsense which needs to stop!

Yes, this is very true. Many are HIV+ and do not progress on to AIDS. A friend of mine has been HIV+ for over 23 years and he is not sick nor dying. Also, many may not realize that there are HIV- cases of AIDS. This is one of the arguments that the AIDS rethinkers use against HIV being the true cause of AIDS. When the CDC couldn't explain this little problem, they gave it a new name. This one particular, flaw in the system violates Koch's Postulates, the golden rules of medicine. In actuality, there are really very few "true", new AIDS patients each year in America. And with these, half are classified with AIDS due to low CD4's, being under 200. In reality, there are millions with chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, and other immune diseases. Yet AIDS gets all the funding! AIDS has become a politicial disease, as it is unAmerica to speak out against it. But myself and others do. I had full-blown AIDS, so I do have some credibility about this.

Also, this joke is humorus but true, how do you hide millions of new AIDS cases, you just call it chronic fatigue! If you check the AIDS symptoms and the chronic fatigue symtoms, they are definitely in the same family, something rethinkers have connected the dots long ago. These sites and others are so important so to get more attention drawn to other deserving immune diseases. If you go to the Fair Foundation, become a member, you will see exactly how much of your tax dollar goes to each disease. By far, way too much money is going to AIDS research, when only around 15,000 new AIDS cases are being diagnosed each year, with only half of these people even being sick out of 300 million. Enough of this nonsense which needs to stop!

Thanks a lot for this input Noreen. Virology still has lots of ground to gain, HIV, CFS and many other illnesses seem to be related to viruses.

R

Robin

Yes, this is very true. Many are HIV+ and do not progress on to AIDS. A friend of mine has been HIV+ for over 23 years and he is not sick nor dying. Also, many may not realize that there are HIV- cases of AIDS. This is one of the arguments that the AIDS rethinkers use against HIV being the true cause of AIDS.

AIDS progression, left untreated, is pretty much ubiquitous. Sometimes it just takes a long time. There are very few (<1%) "elite survivors" or people who do not progress HIV--->AIDS ever (over 30 years). This is because of genes that help the person fight the virus.

About half progress within ten years. (This is without treatment.) Rapid progression is < 4 years from infection. Average is 8 to 12 years, and people are considered "long term non progressers" if they live > 12 years without symptoms. Rate of progression can be influenced by overall health, age, other infections, and genetics. (It's speculated that stress and trauma can shorten progression too.)

Because the progression is relatively slow it leaves a huge window for people to remain asymptomatic for years. You can be infected and test negative during a six month or so window after initial infection.

There has been so much research about HIV that it's very cut and dry that it causes AIDS. AIDS denialism doesn't go so well for the denialists.

starryeyes

I just read your link Robin and I'm thinking, 'Oh no, what have I done?' :worried:

I didn't intend for this thread to become a debate about whether HIV causes AIDS or not but that is a controversy out there as there will always be denialists.

I brought this up to show that HIV can exist in some people without causing AIDS but it's because of their genetic make-up most likely that they successfully fight it off.

How did we get all these endogenous retroviruses? At some point, some people's immune systems must have been able to successfully fight them off.

I'd like to know what others think.

And welcome to the forum Noreen.

R

Robin

I just read your link Robin and I'm thinking, 'Oh no, what have I done?' :worried:

Oh no, Tee! :hug:

I was intending to support your concept -- that HIV ---> AIDS is slow, varies, and that some people are genetically immune! It's pretty cool actually. A guy with such genetic resistance donated stem cells to an AIDS patient (for leukemiaO, and the transplant seems to have cured the guy's AIDS. (Notice Anthony Fauci, of Osler's Web fame, is in the article!)

But, you're right, your thread is for other discussion and I won't sully it further. :tear:;)

starryeyes

Oh no, you didn't sully the thread Robin. :hug: I was referring to the contentious debaters at the site you gave the link to and then realized that could happen here.

That article you just posted the link to is amazing! It's too bad it's not easy to do yet but it certainly has them headed in a direction that may lead to a great breakthrough for many people.

Some PWC are trying stem cell therapy too. I'm interested in hearing how that's going.

JillBohr

I remember many years ago watching a gay couple on TV during an interview. They were partners and one had AIDS and the other did not. I can not remember if they were both HIV positive because I am not sure if they even knew that HIV that causes AIDS at the time. This was in the mid-80's. The one partner that did not have it said that he should have it and was begging researchers to test his blood to find out why he was resistant to it. Again, this interview took place a long time ago but it always stuck with me. I, too, wonder if this why some people that are XMRV postiive are asymptomatic (?sp).

Carrigon

I remember a gay man who lost his lover and all his friends to AIDS. He, however, didn't have it. And when researchers tested his blood, they said he had a resistant gene. He never got sick, never came down with it. And the poor guy was just so sad because he lost everyone he ever cared about to AIDS, yet he never got it and he was just as promiscuous as they all had been.