• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The WPI Story

Roy S

former DC ME/CFS lobbyist
The WPI Story

There is a lengthy but very good story about the WPI and Annette Whittemore. It's interesting what she first did about XMRV.

http://molinterv.aspetjournals.org/content/10/3/120.full

This The Patient Advocate, Chris Cairns, blogged about it here:

http://cfspatientadvocate.blogspot.com/2010/06/annette-whittemore-on-wpi.html

He also wrote in a stirring blog titled "The Flashpoint"
http://cfspatientadvocate.blogspot.com/2010/05/flashpoint.html

"Like it or not, the WPI is our flashpoint, it is the flashpoint of CFS/ME research in the future. If they are degraded, if they are defeated, we all lose. It is as simple as that."

Enough said?

Stone

Can you expand on how the WPI is at risk? I'm sure it's been explained elsewhere, but I don't get to read as much as I would like, and much of what I do read is.................

muffin

"She (Andrea) continued this modest improvement until she decided to enroll at the University of Nevada–Reno. The admission policy required the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccination prior to starting classes. Within five days of the MMR vaccination, Andrea had a severe relapse and never regained her previous level of health." http://molinterv.aspetjournals.org/content/10/3/120.full

Odd, since I have noted elsewhere in this forum that I too was forced to have the MMR booster before being allowed back into grad school at age 22. Ten years later I came down with CFIDS. In that 10 year period between the MMR booster and the full-blown CFIDS, I had a number of odd symptoms that kept building until finally both my husband and I got a virus and he recovered and I got sicker and sicker until I was sleeping 22 hours a day. Now I really have to wonder if that damn MMR vaccine played into my and Andrea's CFIDS.

Does anyone else suspect that the MMR vaccine or booster may have had a role in their CFIDS at some point? Andrea's CFIDS started five days after the MMR and mine started ten years after the MMR while under long-term stress and an immune system that was pretty well knocked down.

Thoughts on the MMR connection to CFIDS?? I do believe that MMR plays into autism and other neurological issues. So it would not be a far reach that MMR vaccine could help kick something off or really damage the immune system and make it open to other viruses - or the XMRV virus specifically.

SeaShel

Muffin - a few of us have shared some measles experiences on the huge FDA/NIH thread. Start at #653 and you can get the jist of it, if interested.

Before I saw this post of yours, was thinking maybe we should start a measles thread and not hijack the other. It's yet another possible piece of the crazy puzzle. Not that we're going to solve anything, but maybe Dr Judy or another researcher would be interested to know that in our PR Forum world, "x" number of people think a measles vaccine came into play in our illness onset.

Shelley

muffin

Seshel: Thank you for directing me to that huge thread. I am very interested in others' experience on the MMR vaccine. Ditto for DTP (what caused seizures in my 4 month old niece). Will go and see from #653 on. I agree with need to start a thread on this area as you noted. And, yes, since Andrea did get very sick from her MMR vaccine I would bet her Mother and Dr. M may well be interested in this possible association. We are all aware of the Autism issue as well associated with MMR. Have to go see what Mikovits or Klimas or whomever spoke/wrote/conference on Austism and XMRV, etc. Sorry, brain is so not working. Slept like the dead for about 18 hours today.
Getting to the point that I go online and buy the HIV anti-virals myself and the hell with the doctors. Can't wait as I have been sick for 16 year and sleeping more and more with more new symptoms/diseases. Worth the risk, esp. after I get my/husband's WILL together.
Thanks again!