• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Vaccine War -- Aired on Frontline 4-27-10

paddygirl

Thanks for that.

I haven't watched this yet, but intend to. I thought I'd post a link here for anybody who might be interested.

The Vaccine War

Wayne
Hi Wayne, I just forwarded your link to a lady whose child has just been diagnosed. Shes not ding too good so hope this sets her on a path of discovery x x

zoe.a.m.

My DVR missed the first half, but I got the impression that it was a program meant to educate the public as public health departments try to do about vaccines (i.e. pro vaccine). It was pretty much the usual back and forth from what I could tell. One thing that I thought should have been said was something to the effect of "parents/people continue to refuse vaccinations as a way to keep the public aware that there are studies that AREN'T BEING DONE about autism, period." I mean, what attention would the movement receive if the "herd health" wasn't an issue that affects everyone? Parents with children with autism would simply be put out to pasture, much as has been done with CFS. Too complex and devastating so no one wants to speak about publicly or publicize the stats.

Alexia

I got ME two months after a vaccination. I always have had the feeling that that was not by chance. Before that I was very healthy and full of energy.

It just ticked me off. Scientists saying that the internet is responsible for people not vaccinating kids, saying that people don't "understand" science. No scientists who have come out against vaccines, like one of the creators of the HPV vaccine. Just a brief discussion of Wakefield and mostly about his study being backed by a lawyer for some people who were injured by the MMR. Nothing about how pharmaceutical companies are funded. Nothing about any additives other than mercury. Mostly I just yelled at the TV.

Mind you, I do vaccinate my daughter, but on an altered schedule so she doesn't get a bunch at once, and so her immune system has time to grow before she gets this or that. Though I opted out of the MMR. Two years ago, you could get them separately. But now, you are forced to get the triple shot.

G

Gerwyn

It just ticked me off. Scientists saying that the internet is responsible for people not vaccinating kids, saying that people don't "understand" science. No scientists who have come out against vaccines, like one of the creators of the HPV vaccine. Just a brief discussion of Wakefield and mostly about his study being backed by a lawyer for some people who were injured by the MMR. Nothing about how pharmaceutical companies are funded. Nothing about any additives other than mercury. Mostly I just yelled at the TV.

Mind you, I do vaccinate my daughter, but on an altered schedule so she doesn't get a bunch at once, and so her immune system has time to grow before she gets this or that. Though I opted out of the MMR. Two years ago, you could get them separately. But now, you are forced to get the triple shot.

I would not touch live attenuated vaccines with a barge pole

JillBohr

Oh, I had a bad feeling about this. I was wondering why some of my autism listserves were telling me about this show. I knew it would be one sided where they show "reasonable" scientists discussing how safe vaccines are and how dangerous it is NOT to vaccinate and then angry mothers. When they named the program the Vaccine WAR, that is what they wanted to show. I am so disappointed in Frontline. I would love for them to show how a vaccine is manufactured using monkey and cancerous cell lines. Did they even mention the viruses that snuck in there? Did they mention the study that was just done in Africa were 17.5% of the 2-12 year old children are HIV positive and their mothers are negative? Uggggggh. I am thinking some naughty words but I will refrain.

I would not touch live attenuated vaccines with a barge pole

No, I agree. The only one she did get was the rotavirus, I think, and guess what? My husband and I both got sick from it the first time around, and I got sick the first two times around. And I did the rotavirus because what I studied said the illness was worse than the side effects (I did not get the brand that was pulled from the market, and my daughter's doctor will do that for us). I am so on the fence about vaccinations. But at least with the altered schedule, I don't worry as much. I am personally more afraid of when they give multiple vaccines at once. I've been told by more than one doctor that is very, very dangerous, and it's unbelievable they do that to infants.

Oh, I had a bad feeling about this. I was wondering why some of my autism listserves were telling me about this show. I knew it would be one sided where they show "reasonable" scientists discussing how safe vaccines are and how dangerous it is NOT to vaccinate and then angry mothers. When they named the program the Vaccine WAR, that is what they wanted to show. I am so disappointed in Frontline. I would love for them to show how a vaccine is manufactured using monkey and cancerous cell lines. Did they even mention the viruses that snuck in there? Did they mention the study that was just done in Africa were 17.5% of the 2-12 year old children are HIV positive and their mothers are negative? Uggggggh. I am thinking some naughty words but I will refrain.

Well, you know it's just us angry moms who spend time on the internet who are so nutso as to think vaccinations could be harmful! :rolleyes:

I also noted they had not one interview with anyone who has been harmed by a vaccine, except for showing the former cheerleader stuff which I personally was not that persuaded by.

Robyn

Maybe they should be making sure that no retroviruses or pig dna are in them first. I know we probably need the vaccinations but they need to be safe. Especially for children. I get tired of this oops factor. Oh sorry they were contaminated. Excuse me but there should be no room for error.

I watched the video. The people who produce FRONTLINE are a bunch of snakes and not just any snakes, stupid ones -- in my opinion. :eek:

natasa778

And I did the rotavirus because what I studied said the illness was worse than the side effects

True. If you are malnourished and live in a third world country with no access to basics.

2bushes

I had a light case of fibromyalgia and managed well, until I got the flu shot of 93. I then had the flu that would not go away for 8 years and they 8 years of doing quite well at 80-90% I crashed last April. I am working with Rich V on the methylation cycle block. I have been doing that since September ramping up very slowly to the now full Simplified program. I am getting quite a response but hanging on.

Margaret

Stuart

Most PBS stations have a repeat schedule, check for yours online, or if you have decent bandwidth, watch it online from the Frontline web site www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/vaccines/view/
I did see that they gave mention to the recent vaccine court ruling on autism and vaccines, but they did NOT mention the uncovering of fraud on the very research studies funded by the CDC to Dr. Poul Thorsen.

Central Figure in CDC Vaccine Cover-Up Absconds With $2M
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-f-kennedy-jr/central-figure-in-cdc-vac_b_494303.html

Special Masters Protect Vaccine Program and Deny Justice to Vaccine-Injured Children
http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/prnewswire/press_releases/District_of_Columbia/2010/03/12/DC69551

The corporate influence of media in the US is complete, PBS is a coopted as any source. This was pointed out regarding their coverage of the US healthcare debate as they didn't report on the wide support for Single Payer, nor any of the Single Payer initiatives for years in Congress (HR676) or the large number of medical professionals who support it.

After a letter writing campaign about this by dozens of support groups PBS did make an apology regarding that. I imagine they will be receiving a similar response from groups who want more study on vaccine threats and will send supporting data.

One doctor interviewed extensively, Jay Gordon, MD, Nationally renowned pediatrician and Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, UCLA Medical School, (but left on the cutting room floor) was appalled by the lack of impartiality and responded with an article posted online.

PBS Frontline on Autism Resorts to Pseudo-Documentary, Tabloid Journalism
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jay-gordon/pbs-frontline-show-about_b_554691.html

Excerpt:
I trusted you by giving you two or three hours of my time for an interview and multiple background discussions. I expressed my heartfelt reservations about both vaccines and the polarizing of this issue into "pro-vaccine" and "anti-vaccine" camps. I told you that there was at least a third "camp." There are many doctors and even more parents who would like a more judicious approach to immunization. Give vaccines later, slower and with an individualized approach as we do in every other area of medicine.

What did you create instead?

"The Vaccine War."

A war. Not a discussion or a disagreement over facts and opinions, but a war. This show was unintelligent, dangerous and completely lacking in the balance that you promised me -- and your viewers -- when you produced and advertised this piece of biased unscientific journalism. "Tabloid journalism" I believe is the epithet often used. Even a good tabloid journalist could see through the screed you've presented.
Investigative Reporting is dead. :worried:

xchocoholic

I just finished watching this ... I really didn't think it was as one sided as others had said. But, I'm pro Generation Rescue, DAN, etc and was cheering for them whenever they were on. I thought they all did a great job ... and I was making fun of the others. They just seem so clueless to me ..

What strikes me the most about all of this is how some medical professionals look at the internet as causing parents to be overly cautious about vaccines. When, if they were doing their jobs, they'd be strongly warning parents that some children appear to be getting autism from vaccines and they wouldn't recommend them until more is known. What Happened to Do No Harm ? How can we trust the medical community when they are knowingly putting our kids at risk ?

One other thing that I don't understand is why holistic or DAN (Defeat Autism Now) treatments aren't more readily available for autism or other diseases. NOW there's a HUGE missed opportunity !!! I have absolutely no idea why some people just can't see this ?! The Defeat Autism Now movement is about preventing and HEALING children from autism but the healing protocals aren't being discussed nearly as much as the vaccine / possible cause of autism.

I consider my protocal to date to be similar to the DAN protocal aka eliminate dietary intolerances then use biochemical interventions for leaky gut. I understand this treatments don't work for all autistic kids, but from my point of view, this may be due in part to those gluten, etc free foods not really being gluten, etc free. We don't have any standards in the US for this . Many people don't realize either that the blood tests for gluten, etc antibodies aren't as good as the stool tests.

IMHO, the other problem with treating autistic kids, or anyone, is the variation that gut bacteria, genetics and environment have on treatments. We simply don't have enough accurate tests to help us with this.

Just my 2 cents ... X

Wayne

Frontline Vaccine Episode

I got ME two months after a vaccination. I always have had the feeling that that was not by chance. Before that I was very healthy and full of energy.
Hi Alexia,

I got VERY sick for several weeks/months after receiving a grade-school vaccination. I've always believe it likely played a part in my developing ME. There are many reports of PWCs, especially health care workers (who have a high incidence of ME), of becoming ill after receiving mandatory vaccines, especially hepatitis.

There's so many unanswered questions to be asked about vaccines. The pro-vaccine establishment seems to prefer throwing aspersions at those who raise these questions, instead of promoting further research to address legitimate vaccine safety issues. Why not acknowledge that the science of vaccinations is still in its infancy, and proceed accordingly?

It seems to me a big part of the reason is arrogance. One person in the video mentioned the "paternalistic" attitude of doctors often hold over patients. They seem to bemoan their loss of control to the influence of the wicked internet.

Wayne

Wayne

No scientists who have come out against vaccines, like one of the creators of the HPV vaccine. Mostly I just yelled at the TV.

Hi Alphahusky,

I share your frustrations in this regard. I had the same thought about the HPV vaccine. Why not mention the dozens of deaths and hundreds of severe neurological reactions young teenage girls are experiencing with this latest vaccine fiasco?

Generally, I think Frontline does a pretty good job of reporting. Though they did present both sides of the story, I thought their bias was pretty evident. Why not mention that one of their main spokespersons (Paul Offitt) has made tens of millions of dollars from the MMR vaccine, and stands to continue to reap these financial rewards? And why not mention that Danish studies have been roundly criticized as not answering the outstanding issues regarding vaccine safety?

I have to say however, that some off the spokespeople on the show made some very good points. I feel a newly interested person watching, with an open mind, could not help but hear some persuasive arguments for approaching childhood vaccinations with a good degree of skepticism and caution.

BTW, the city of Ashland, Oregon which was featured is where I live. It is a unique place where people are highly educated and think very independently. Thus, the hesitancy about mandatory vaccination programs.

Wayne