• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The UK Blood supply

VillageLife

Have they or have they not tested the UK blood supply for XMRV?
If they have (by now) when are they going to tell us ?
If they found something will they tell us ?

To be honest it's almost 6 months since the wpi science paper, the UK blood supply people must know something by now.
And what is happening with the USA have they had any info about there blood supply and XMRV. It's almost been 6 months now ?

SunnyGal

I initially heard that it would take 6 months in the US to identify if XMRV was in our blood supply (I not sure when the clock would have started ticking on this?), and then if XMRV was found in the blood supply another 6 months to develop screening for it.

I'm sure others here know more than me, though, and can clarify on this! :Retro smile:

Sunny

R

Robin

Have they or have they not tested the UK blood supply for XMRV?

No clue! They don't seem to think XMRV exists in the UK. I think one of the ME groups is trying to find out about the blood supply issue.

And what is happening with the USA have they had any info about there blood supply and XMRV. It's almost been 6 months now ???

They do seem to be taking it very seriously. The Health and Human Services Department, which is an executive branch of the federal government that oversees a lot of stuff but mainly medical policy, has a "working group" doing research on XMRV. The group is working with both the WPI and Suzanne Vernon of the CAA. They're taking their time, yes, but that's good. The issue of how best to test for XMRV is not resolved, and, hopefully this group will be able to advance the science.

From the CDC web page:

Several studies are under way to evaluate the risk of XMRV transmission through blood transfusion. The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is conducting studies to determine the prevalence of XMRV in the blood donor population. In addition, HHS scientists are working with scientists in industry and academia to determine if XMRV can be transmitted by blood transfusion. If a link between XMRV and transfusion is established, action will be taken to reduce the risk.

Additionally, a Public Health Service (PHS) working group plans to coordinate testing of specimens to assess transfusion-transmissibility of XMRV. If an agent is found to be transmissible by blood, studies must begin quickly to evaluate if the agent causes disease in transfusion recipients.

We're all eagerly waiting for a report. I believe it will bear more weight than the European studies.

JT1024

This is from the American Association of Blood Banks (AABB) in the US:

AABB Statement on XMRV Task Force

February 17, 2010

AABB recently convened an Interorganizational Task Force on Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus (XMRV). The Task Force is charged with reviewing the available data on the potential transmission of XMRV through blood transfusion, making recommendations for further action to assess the risk of transmission and developing appropriate messages for donors, recipients, and the public. The Task Force includes representatives from the blood community, patient advocacy representatives, XMRV subject matter experts and liaisons from several government agencies, including the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Food and Drug Administration. Dr. Harvey Klein, Chief of the Department of Transfusion Medicine, National Institutes of Health Clinical Center, serves as the task force chair.

Currently there are insufficient data about the potential transmissibility of XMRV through blood transfusion or the relationship of the virus to any disease or syndrome. Background information about XMRV and its characteristics that specifically relate to potential transfusion transmissibility can be found in the AABB XMRV Fact Sheet, published by the Transfusion Transmitted Diseases (TTD) Committee in January 2010. This fact sheet is an addition to the 68 fact sheets on emerging infectious disease agents prepared by the TTD Committee and published in the August 2009 Supplement to Transfusion.

The Task Force will examine new data concerning the potential transmission of this virus as they become available in the next months and update information contained in the fact sheet as necessary. At present, there are no specific recommendations regarding deferral of individuals with diseases or syndromes that have been linked to XMRV, although such donors would be deferred if, on the day of donation, they respond negatively to the question, Are you feeling well today?

Last modified on 2/19/2010 8:05:08 AM

The AABB XMRV Fact Sheet can be found here:
http://www.aabb.org/documents/About_Blood/EID/XMRV_factsheet_fromWB_010510.pdf

I've known about this for awhile but I will try to find something more recent.

JT

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
@ villagelife

There are compilations of published material relating to the UK blood supply on my own site ME agenda

Here: http://wp.me/p5foE-2QL

Post Title: Invest in ME: Letter to UK Secretary of State for Health (Blood donation) (Published on 18 March 2010)

1] House of Commons Written Answers:
27 January 2010

2] House of Commons Written Answers: 10 March 2010

3] Invest in ME: Letter to UK Secretary of State for Health (Blood donation)

Here: http://wp.me/p5foE-2ML

Post Title: Donations and transfusions: Safety of the UK blood supply (Published on 13 February 2010)

Prefaced by Additional information from US organisation AABB (formerly known as the American Association of Blood Banks)

1] Advisory Committee on the Virological Safety of Blood
Minutes Meeting 25 February 1991
CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME (ME) AND BLOOD TRANSFUSION (ACVSB 9/10) (Minute 31, 32)

2] Letter to Secretary of State for Health from Mr Mark XXXXXXX, Tainted Blood Committee, 6 January 2010

3] Response from Customer Service Centre, Department of Health, 26 January 2010

4] Written questions 27 January 2010
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome [and blood donation]

5] BBC News: 3 February 2010 Video report Haemophiliacs lobby for support

6] Third Reading Contaminated Blood (Support for Infected and Bereaved Persons) Bill
[HL]
House of Lords debates, 21 January 2010, 4:43 pm

7] Lord Archer Report [Word doc]
Independent Public Inquiry Report On NHS Supplied Contaminated Blood and Blood Products
Published: 23 February 2009

8] The Shredding Fiasco (1989-1992)
Papers were not adequately archived and were unfortunately destroyed in error.
Caroline Flint, 23 May, 2006

9] Hansard 7 June 2007
Health
Blood: Contamination

10] ME Association November 27 update on XMRV and ME/CFS XMRV and ME/CFS? What do we know so far? And what dont we know? (version 4)

11] ME Association Archived news XMRV and ME/CFS: The MEA writes to the Chief Medical Officer

12] ME Association 13 November 2009
XMRV comments from the Chief Medical Officer on blood donation and blood transfusion services

13] CFIDS Association of America 23 October 2009
Interim XMRV Guidelines from National Cancer Institute

----------------

I you'll find some of this of interest.

Suzy

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
UK House of Commons, March 16, 2010

Just in

UK House of Commons, March 16, 2010

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmhansrd/cm100316/text/100316w0012.htm

Written Answers

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Research

Mr. Drew: To ask the Secretary of State for Health whether his Department has (a) commissioned and (b) evaluated any research on a relationship between myalgic encephalomyelitis and blood-related disorders. [322011]

Gillian Merron: The Department has, to date, not commissioned or evaluated any research. However, others, such as the Medical Research Council, the Health Protection Agency and the UK Blood Services, are currently considering these issues. I refer the hon. Member to the written answer I gave him on 27 January 2010, Official Report, column 942W.