• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Passionate Eye: Catching Cancer (TV show) Viruses causing cancer

kerrilyn

On the CBC tonight on The Passionate Eye, the show is airing Catching Cancer. It's about viruses and their possible role in causing cancer. The show is focusing primarily on breast cancer and a number of women in Australia who worked in the same place and got breast cancer. Researchers are exploring the link between HPV and breast cancer but also a virus spread by mice - MNTV. They said they think the virus is turned on by diet and hormones. There is a debate between researchers who say it's plausible and others who say it has absolutely no merit. .....Sound familiar?

Here is the website, but I couldn't get the video to play. http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/passionateeyeshowcase/2009/catchingcancer/

Bob

I couldn't get the film to play either, but the text is interesting... I wonder if any of the pathogens associated with ME (e.g. HHV-6, EBV, enteroviruses etc) might be found to be linked to any types of cancer. If a link is found, it might mean that more funding is made available to researching them, sometime in the future. And I wonder if XMRV might prove to be directly linked to any other types of cancer, as well as prostate cancer, as they carry out more research on it in the future.

kerrilyn

When they mentioned a mouse virus I perked up and wondered if it was going to be XMRV. They had a long list of cancers at the end suspected to be linked to viruses, prostate was one of them. They also mentioned bacteria as a trigger, not just viruses. It was an interesting program, too bad the video is not available. I could watch the preview video onine just not the one of the actual show. I'll send them an email and see if I get a response.

Next weeks show is called Allergy Planet, why so many people seem allergic to so many things. That sounds like it will be interesting too.