• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The more tired you are, the less tired you feel: help please

PracticingAcceptance

At the bottom of this article it references a 2003 study in the journal Sleep that finds that the more tired you are, the less tired you feel.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-can-you-catch-up-on-sleep/

However, they haven't put a link to it. I've google searched a bit and I can't find it. Has anyone heard about this before? Or perhaps your googling skills for scientific studies are more advanced than mine?

If it's true, it could explain why many of us feel tired all day and then feel most awake just before going to bed.

Wolfcub

@lior I know. Often I get this paradoxical thing happen to me too. The other night I got 4 hours sleep and felt pretty good all day long. Last night I got 9 hours straight through wonderful sound sleep and woke up feeling more tired!

When I was at my most unwell, I could feel rotten all day long and then about 9pm at night feel so much better and even be able to enjoy food again! I have no idea why. I have never naturally been a late eater.

It made me wonder if there was some disturbance in Cortisol levels. But I have no evidence of that.

taniaaust1

I know i often do not have a true awareness of just how tired I am due to used to being tired and exhausted. At times I think im fine but then will suddenly fall asleep while trying to do something. I think there was on time I fell asleep while trying to eat dinner and ended up then with food all through my hair.

Sometimes I have to use my actual functional ability just to work out just how tired I actually am.