• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The MEA should fund a study on XMRV detection

K

Katie

Hi guys,

I want to float this idea of writing a letter to the MEA asking them to fund a study on the best methods of finding XMRV. This would be completely separate from ME/CFS and wholly focused on the retrovirus with retrovirologists leading the study and no one in the ME arena involved. I know the HHS in the US is working on standardised testing so it might not be worth our time but if we had a study in the UK that said what variables improved or damaged chances of finding XMRV we might be able to make some headway against negative studies in both prostate cancer and ME/CFS. Looking at other reseviours such as tissue might be an interesting avenue that perhaps they are not persuing in the US. We're running before we can walk.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

Adam

Yes Katie. I think you are right. This notion has been arrived at through the healthy discussion post UK study 2, on these threads. But do you think there is any chance they would stump up the money (assuming they have it). I saw Charles Sheppard a few years back at a one day conference at Beuatiful Downtown Bramall Lane (home of Sheffield United FC and surely the most glorious spot on planet earth):Retro tongue:

I wasn't that struck on him. Nice guy but still felt like part of the establishment. Some of his remarks post WPI XMRV discovery haven't been too encouraging. Maybe he is just been guarded. I don't really know the politics well enough to say. But I can't see how a letter would do any harm?

Anyone else?

ukxmrv

The MEA offered to pay for a study early on. The problem may be that no one has approached them for funding. They may have something up their sleeve of course.

I guess what we need to do is find someone in the UK to carry out the type of study we need. A proper replication one and then approach the MEA for funding.

K

Katie

Interesting info, I am seriously ignorant of how this process works but I'm learning as quick as I can. I'm a little pessimistic of how an XMRV study attempting to be separate from ME/CFS would look when it is being funded by an ME charity, would a researcher come near that? And that XMRV studies in the UK are becoming less of a hot topic. Might be best to save our pennies and wait for the CDC to do their thing and have a pot of cash ready for any eventuality.

I've kinda stomped on my own thread a bit here.

Ah well.