• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Lancet (UK) editorial: "What's in a name? Systemic exertion intolerance disease"

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
The final bit "Hope for constructive engagement in future" sounds reasonable at first, but what does it really mean?
Some people on Twitter had previously expressed hopes that there could be constructive talks in the future. I assume she was referring to such conversations.

Unfortunately, some of the people who had expressed interest in talking with her are people who are still reporting being blocked (thus didn't even see the apology), despite not having said anything mean.

I realize "I apologise for any offense" is a bit weak, but at least the Lancet feels they needed to distance themselves from a "you [ME patients (in general?] are bullies" comment (note her specification that it was not from her journal--this sounds like an apology that her employer said she had to Tweet). This is a good sign, IMO.

We go from major British medical journal editors happy to smear the entire set of ME patients as being terrible, harassing, worthless people, to distancing themselves from a remark that appears to indicate such a sentiment. Definitely progress towards rationality and common sense.

Additionally, it's hard to compose a good message in 140 characters. Difficult to tell a lot from the wording of such a short message.

eafw

Definitely progress towards rationality and common sense.

I'm inclined to be a bit more cynical about that. Pretty sure that the Lancet are still perfectly happy to vilify us, just not so obviously in a medium where there is any kind of pushback (ie Twitter).

Additionally, it's hard to compose a good message in 140 characters. Difficult to tell a lot from the wording of such a short message.

If they can't fit the reply into 140 characters then they can use more than one tweet, or twitlonger and the sitution does warrant a better response than that which was given.

Last edited:

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
All you Twitter folk expecting answers from the Lancet, just remember (to borrow an old internet meme):

lancet-kitten-meme.jpg