• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Gut-Brain Axis and the Vagus Nerve in Multiple Sclerosis and ME/CFS [ Health Rising article]

Murph

:)
https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2023/02/07/gut-brain-vagus-chronic-fatigue-multiple-sclerosis/

The Gut-Brain Axis and the Vagus Nerve in Multiple Sclerosis and ME/CFS

by Cort Johnson | Feb 7, 2023 | Autonomic Nervous System, Basal Ganglia, Gut, Homepage, Microbiome, Research | 10 comments

This is a good post by Cort on multiple sclerosis, pointing out that fatigue in that disease is independent of the demyelination that is considered the core symtpom, and that the fatigue may have much in common with mecfs.

Happily, MS is well-funded and they ae studying it closely. The study he points out oin this post is on mice. They cut the mice's vagus nerve, and what happens next is amazing. Not only do their brains stop demyelinating but their gut micrbiome goes back to normal! Two-way effect!

lenora

Hi @Murph.....Yes, I also read that report. For years and years we've been trying to get the research that has been done on both HIV and MS. I'm talking since the beginning of the HIV outbreak. At that time, MS was still considered to be "all in one's head" if you can imagine.

Yes, especially when compared to us the MS Society is well funded....but why the silence in passing down Research info? Does everything have to be repeated from the very beginning? Yours, Lenora