• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The expressed needs of people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

Martlet

I've never had a passport or been on an aeroplane. I can't get to the end of the street so foreign travel was out of the question.

Just before one of my girls got married, I had to fly back to England ahead of my husband and stay with friends, just so I would have recovered enough to not attend the wedding flat on my back, so one friend who came to stay with us here accompanied me back, then handed me over to the friends I was staying with. They were great, but they didn't have an ME-friendly house. Too many chemicals and I was nosediving, so other friends, where the wife has ME, took me in for a week. Of course it helped hugely to be in their home. Since then, I've often wondered about the possibility of opening an ME-friendly B&B if we ever get back to Germany. And with that in mind, I promise you, Mithriel, that if we do sell our home over here and get back over there, I will issue you an invitation so your BH can bring you across to Europe. And I won't charge you!!!

Mithriel

A very kind offer, thank you :thumbsup: :Retro smile:

Maybe when they can treat XMRV and we are all well, we can meet up and party all night :victory:

Mithriel

T

Terri

De Lourdes et al writes the kinds of papers that make me want to just crawl off into a hole somewhere and die and never bother anybody again or I feel like I should be sent adrift on an iceberg to die like the Inuit used to do with their burdensome elderly.

Hi Teej, this is such a sad statement but I totally get how you feel. Most of the time I feel like I have already crawled off into my hole (80% housebound) and am just waiting to die and I have given up "bothering" anybody because it doesn't get me anywhere. And while articles like these are informative, as I stated earlier, the very fact that no one will hear also makes me feel more despondant than ever.

SD: Obviously, the way other people behave is one of MY main triggers. Please, Please, Please - No sympathy but maybe a little compassion and understanding!

jace

Off the fence
Green shoots of springtime?

Funny, I often think of the way of the Innuit old people, when they were too weak to chew and soften hides. But then I remember what a difference a day can make. There are many hopeful shoots out there, I'm thinking it may be an ME spring. On the other hand if I'm still like this in ten years, and things are still the same, I might not be so optimistic..

Dolphin

Angela Kennedy has written about this paper in other forums. This paper is not necessarily good news for sufferers:

"PERMISSION TO REPOST

This is a comment on one key aspect of the following article:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/9/458

National M.E Observatory project - first report

15 December 2009

"The self-expressed needs of people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic
Encephalomyelitis"
De Lourdes et al...

In the 'strengths and limitations of the review' section, on page 17 of the provisional PDF, even after providing an account of the impact of the illness on sufferers, including the burdens of disbelief from others, refusal of benefits, social exclusion, and other problems of certain needs not being met (the kind of needs that can reasonably be said to be present in all patients of serious illness, for example?), and presenting such evidence as part of a systematic review at that, the De Lourdes et al paper has this to say:

"The review has not examined the validity of the expressed needs of people with CFS. One theory links the early parental environment with neurobiological development via the hypothalmo-pituitary adrenal axis, changing stress responsiveness through life in those with CFS/ME (reference cited*) This could potentially result in increased 'neediness' in those with CFS/ME but would not invalidate those needs..."

(* Editorial by Boudewijn Van Houdenhove, 'Listening to CFS: Why we should pay more attention to the story of the patient' Journal of Psychosomatic Research 52 (2002) 495-499.)

Van Houdenhove's account is immersed in psychogenic explanations for 'CFS/ME', based on a concept of 'unexplained therefore psychogenic by default', personality problems (including a 'narcisssistic tendency to deny personal limits; a negative perfectionist attitude induced by overcritical parents" etc.) and somatic symptoms as resulting from 'intrapsychic conflict.' (This is only a few examples of the eclectic mix of alleged psychopathology in the patient according to Van Houdenhove: significantly, organic aetiology as an explanation is signficant by its absence.)

De Lourdes et al then go on to state:

"As reviewers we have taken the needs expressed by people with CFS/ME at face value - even if their need for support is higher than in others, the needs of people with CFS/ME are expressed very consistently and their accounts of their needs deserve to be heard and responded to."

This may seem a laudable sentiment, but by assuming, per se and without substantiation, that somehow 'CFS/ME' patients needs are 'higher' than in other patients with serious chronic illness (for example, Heart disease, AIDS, HIV, Motor Neurone Disease, Parkinsons, Multiple Sclerosis, spinal injuries, strokes), rather than the more likely problem that such needs that would be met in those disease sufferers are NOT being met in 'CFS/ME' patients - likely due to 'psychogenic dismissal' (Kenneth Vickery, in Mackarness, 1980: xi-xii) , De Lourdes et al are not actually taking the needs expressed by CFS/ME sufferers 'at face value': indeed they are reifying the very assumptions that lead to psychogenic dismissal and its accompanying material and social inequalities for sufferers. By including the Van Houdenhove narrative, without raising the legitimate and rational objections that could be raised to his arguments, the De Lourdes et al comments have led to CFS/ME patients, once again, being reduced to strange, needy personalities with mean parents, who feel somatic symptoms because they are like that."
Well done to (Dr) Angela Kennedy for this. It was the one annoying thing that stood out.

I just finished reading it. It is good in one way but also also possibly a bit "dense" and one might need also to refer to some of the original papers to flesh out some of the points. Perhaps it would seem less dense if I read it another time.

If you are short of time, go straight to the results section - the start is about the methods and most people don't need to know about that.

Dolphin

I just found these comments on the research from one of the co-authors in Tom Kindlon's post to co-cure of Dec 17/09
My bolds throughout.

Comments from Prof. Derek Pheby (co-author) on "The self-expressed needs of people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis: A systematic review"[/B]

National M.E Observatory project - first report 15 December 2009

The self-expressed needs of people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis: A systematic review is the first report from the National M.E. Observatory project to appear in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.

Project Co-ordinator for the M.E. Observatory research project, Professor Derek Pheby, comments:

"Assumptions are frequently made, by medical professionals and others about what constitutes a good outcome in ME. All too often the views, hopes and aspirations of people with ME themselves are the last things to be considered. This ground-breaking piece of research rectifies that omission, by bringing together in one report all the published research which does consider the question of what people with ME themselves want and need. It takes a wide approach, looking not only at medical outcomes but also at what people with ME need to enable them to function in the social environment, not only as patients, but also as family members, citizens, and members of the wider community.
I just finished reading it and am a little tired. I am interested in outcome measures in trials. What do people think this paper suggests about outcome measures for trials?

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
Funny, I often think of the way of the Innuit old people, when they were too weak to chew and soften hides. But then I remember what a difference a day can make. There are many hopeful shoots out there, I'm thinking it may be an ME spring. On the other hand if I'm still like this in ten years, and things are still the same, I might not be so optimistic..

Welcome jace.

I like what you said.

There are many hopeful shoots out there, I'm thinking it may be an ME spring.