• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The connection of constipation and methylation

Hi everyone.
1. I noticed that methyl folate (200mkg) together with mecbl and adcbl (500mcg in total) improve my constipation, stomach and intestinal function.

But all this causes me great anxiety, fear and insomnia.

How can you get rid of constipation without resorting to methylated vitamins?

My stomach seems to stop and stop working, it causes a very strong pulling pain. Are there any suggestions to improve this?

2. I noticed that I very often began to retain fluid, swelling appears. Methylfolate and b12 mixture also help relieve swelling as I think, but I can't drink them because of insomnia and possibly slow COMT.

What can be done? I will be very grateful for any offers.

:xeyes:
3. 2 drops of liposomal glutathione help me from fear and anxiety, but I am afraid of methyl traps.

Please can someone explain whether 2 drops of glutathione a day under the tongue can cause methyl traps?

After glutathione, I start to go to the toilet a lot in a small way and I think I lose electrolytes. But without glutathione after methylated supplements, I can't calm down. It seems to me that the body goes into fight or flight mode.

Victronix

You need to take B-multi vitamins along with B-12 and methylfolate, or it will be over stimulating. Coconut water also worked, for me, to provide enough potassium to compensate for the potassium sink that can get created by the methylators. Low potassium will cause anxiety and other bizarre symptoms.

I have similar issues with constipation happening, but only in the past 2 years and what I'm realizing is that that is also connected to low estrogen, for me. Since I'm already taking estrogen, I'm going to try increasing it.

I take 5 HTP (along with progesterone) at night, 1 at bedtime and 1 when I wake up, and those work great generally for me for sleep. You also want to make sure you take a multi-mineral of some kind. Everyone these days is deficient in magnesium to some extent, but that's another one you have to be careful with or it can be stimulating.

My understanding was that taking glutathione directly was not going to be as helpful as the methylators. I wouldn't worry about the methyl trap issue at this point, unless you are taking very high dosages.

I can't tolerate methylfolate, so I take a food B-multi which avoids all that - https://www.vitacost.com/garden-of-life-mykind-organics-b-complex-once-daily-30-vegan-tablets-1

You need to take B-multi vitamins along with B-12 and methylfolate, or it will be over stimulating. Coconut water also worked, for me, to provide enough potassium to compensate for the potassium sink that can get created by the methylators. Low potassium will cause anxiety and other bizarre symptoms.

I have similar issues with constipation happening, but only in the past 2 years and what I'm realizing is that that is also connected to low estrogen, for me. Since I'm already taking estrogen, I'm going to try increasing it.

I take 5 HTP (along with progesterone) at night, 1 at bedtime and 1 when I wake up, and those work great generally for me for sleep. You also want to make sure you take a multi-mineral of some kind. Everyone these days is deficient in magnesium to some extent, but that's another one you have to be careful with or it can be stimulating.

My understanding was that taking glutathione directly was not going to be as helpful as the methylators. I wouldn't worry about the methyl trap issue at this point, unless you are taking very high dosages.

I can't tolerate methylfolate, so I take a food B-multi which avoids all that - https://www.vitacost.com/garden-of-life-mykind-organics-b-complex-once-daily-30-vegan-tablets-1

Thank you for your opinion))

Unfortunately, I also can't stand methylfolate. William Walsh wrote that it can block serotonin at dopamine receptors. Maybe this is my case. Or as you say, it affects the lack of potassium, although I try to use it from dried peaches, dried apricots.

I am a little disappointed, but every methylation start has to be abruptly stopped due to deep depression and insomnia.

And if taking mecbl and adocbl has tolerable side effects, then methylfolate clearly spoils me, steals my personality, drains all hormones, vitamins and minerals.

I like that the b-multi you're talking about has an organic composition. But does such a multicomponent composition cause allergies in you? I used to be able to replenish group B with beef liver, but now my histamine intolerance has worsened. I think it has to do with taking a fermented probiotic.

I am sure that I got mitochondrial disorders from taking Ciprofloxacin 2 years ago. Fluoroquinolones are very dangerous. Can you tell me why there may be fluid retention all the time? Have you come across something like this? If I could solve the problem of delayed gastric motility and edema, I would definitely be very happy)) A year ago, I was given 7 drops of glutathione. It seems to me that it can redistribute heavy metals incredibly strongly. Now I'm afraid to do ivs and take a few drops if necessary, it helps me calm down and sleep. Maybe it stabilizes glutamate ?

What is the methylation protocol used?

I am currently studying Fred's protocol, but I have questions regarding glutathione and folic acid.

Having a homozygous mutation of MTHFR A1298C as well as a homozygote of MTRR and such a terrible reaction to methylfolate, I would like to try folic acid. But Freddie writes that this is the way to the methyl trap . What do you think?

And finally, large amounts of glutathione lead me to an accident, but 2 drops, as I said, can calm my neurotransmitters. How long can I take glutathione without fear of a methyl trap? And is it possible to take it together with B 12? Thanks)

Victronix

Sorry to hear about the Cipro! I have to pretend to have an allergy just to keep doctors from prescribing it. They really tried to force that on me once (Kaiser Healthcare) but I was aware of the class action lawsuits against it after they mass-prescribed for the postal workers following the anthrax attacks in the early 2000s, so refused. Then when I showed up at the pharmacy the doctor had prescribed it anyway! Even the pharmacist was disgusted that they did that after I refused it. So I have to fake an allergy. Incredible that anyone is still prescribing it.

I haven't tried dried fruits for potassium. Bananas seem to work, but it takes 20 min at least and they are a high sugar fruit. Someone told me a while ago that dried fruits are also concentrated sugar, so I've avoided them. But coconut water can address a potassium sink almost immediately.

I would not take folic or folinic acid. Folic acid is a synthetic and a potential carcinogen according to some researchers. Folinic caused the same side effects as methylfolate for me. I find I seem to do okay with a food multivitamin and focusing on folate-rich foods (despite having MTHFR polymorphism) - https://www.nutritionadvance.com/foods-high-in-folate/ and https://www.iherb.com/pr/garden-of-life-mykind-organics-women-s-once-daily-60-vegan-tablets/58122

As far as the protocol, I take a Jarrow B-12 2500 several times a day and a triple B-12 2x/day that has adeno. Then I take a slew of other vitamins, multi-minerals, D, C, zinc, etc. I also take Biogest (Thorne), which was very helpful with my digestive issues (and no gallbladder now, so I also take ox bile separately but the Biogest has some in it).

I don't know enough about methyl traps or glutathione to be any help.

Sorry to hear about the Cipro! I have to pretend to have an allergy just to keep doctors from prescribing it. They really tried to force that on me once (Kaiser Healthcare) but I was aware of the class action lawsuits against it after they mass-prescribed for the postal workers following the anthrax attacks in the early 2000s, so refused. Then when I showed up at the pharmacy the doctor had prescribed it anyway! Even the pharmacist was disgusted that they did that after I refused it. So I have to fake an allergy. Incredible that anyone is still prescribing it.

I haven't tried dried fruits for potassium. Bananas seem to work, but it takes 20 min at least and they are a high sugar fruit. Someone told me a while ago that dried fruits are also concentrated sugar, so I've avoided them. But coconut water can address a potassium sink almost immediately.

I would not take folic or folinic acid. Folic acid is a synthetic and a potential carcinogen according to some researchers. Folinic caused the same side effects as methylfolate for me. I find I seem to do okay with a food multivitamin and focusing on folate-rich foods (despite having MTHFR polymorphism) - https://www.nutritionadvance.com/foods-high-in-folate/ and https://www.iherb.com/pr/garden-of-life-mykind-organics-women-s-once-daily-60-vegan-tablets/58122

As far as the protocol, I take a Jarrow B-12 2500 several times a day and a triple B-12 2x/day that has adeno. Then I take a slew of other vitamins, multi-minerals, D, C, zinc, etc. I also take Biogest (Thorne), which was very helpful with my digestive issues (and no gallbladder now, so I also take ox bile separately but the Biogest has some in it).

Thank you, before cipro I was a very strong and hardy athlete, and now I have a lot of chronic problems and a complete intolerance to physical exertion. I think it's mitochondrial DNA damage. But I intend to return everything that was.

Histamine or activation of mast cells really prevent me from exercising and eating a variety of foods.

Yes, speaking of folic acid, I mean folinic acid. That's what I haven't tried yet, but I want to.

Nutritional multivitamins are a great idea, thank you.

I would also consider natural sources of vitamins and minerals, such as beef liver.

In general, there is a lot of confusion and different opinions about methylfolate. But it seems to me that for people with a slow COMT, this can be dangerous, since dopamine and norepinephrine in too large quantities can linger in the brain.

GreenMachineX

What side effects did you get from folinic specifically?