• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Chickenpox & Shingles Poll

Have you had Chickenpox/Shingles?

• No, I've never had Chickenpox or Shingles.

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • I have had Chickenpox but not Shingles.

Votes: 70 64.8%
  • I have had Chickenpox and had Shingles once.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I have had Chickenpox and had Shingles more than once.

Votes: 11 10.2%

• Total voters

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Oh, I'm with you on fear of shingles. I asked my doc about the vaccine and she told only after age 60. I'm not keen on a vaccine either which is not preventative and only lessens the symptoms. So keeping fingers crossed.
If you catch it fast it can be really mild. Good idea to look up pictures of early stage shingles on the internet so that if you notice anything like that you can hightail it to the doctor.
Ooh! I just got shingles--popped up out of no where. :( Happened to look in the mirror later in the day and there it was (hadn't been there a few hours earlier). And, it was the 4th of July weekend--thank goodness for Urgent Care who confirmed it the next day. The first night I took a big dose of Lysine and some oregano oil (in a capsule with olive oil). It was less "angry" the next day but the doc took one look, asked questions and said, "Yep, shingles."
The whole thing was over in less than a week and I only had a bit of pain on day one. So if treated immediately, I don't think it is anything to really worry about. I had been dreading the possibility knowing how common it is, and maybe I was lucky too, but it was a very mild experience.

Mij

@Sushi . . . I am aware of keeping a 'look out', my mother had it for about one month but I am afraid it breaks out in my eyes.

You were fortunate it lasted less than a week. Are you saying that your only treatment was Lysine and oregano oil? I took tons of Lysine years ago and still broke out in Herpes simplex virus in my mouth- it was extremely painful.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@Sushi . . . I am aware of keeping a 'look out', my mother had it for about one month but I am afraid it breaks out in my eyes.

You were fortunate it lasted less than a week. Are you saying that your only treatment was Lysine and oregano oil? I took tons of Lysine years ago and still broke out in Herpes simplex virus in my mouth- it was extremely painful.
Mine was a big patch over my eyebrow so I was also concerned about the eyes. It broke out in the evening so I took Lysine & oregano oil till the next day--then I went to Urgent Care where they gave me valtrex. So I got on an antiviral within the first 24 hours.

My grandmother suffered terribly with shingles so as soon as I was old enough for my insurance to cover the shingles vaccine, I got it. I couldn't imagine adding an illness like that on top of what I was already trying to struggle through and keep my job. I didn't realize it until recently, but the vaccine for shingles is supposed to be repeated every 5 years. No one bothered to tell me that at the time. I saw it on a commercial.

NelliePledge

I’ve decided that I’m going to try to see a private Dr as I think it’s the only way I’m going to get any chance of accessing testing and anti virals. I’m also considering shingles vaccine.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Update my pcr vzv viral testing. Pathology guy i went through understood i wanted a number to quantify the viral load. This blood went off to a hospital in sydney, they were confused about it and saidthat they only do this on swabs and its either positive or negative but they tested the blood and said its negative but said they were unsure if its even the right test as they dont normally do that.

So really the testing isnt standardised for blood. Ive had swabs done but by the time i get it done the rash has startedto dry up. I think being in my hair pops the blisters almost straight away and they dry up.

This is what reoccurs every 6 weeks. The rash itself doesnt seem a problem but the general viral and headache symptoms that go along with it are. That pic was on antivirals. Off antivirals its much worse looking. Also possible being on famvir effects the testing but twice i have stopped famvir and tge shingles off them laid me up for 3 months. I dont want to do that.

Screenshot_20171010-160333.png

Jennifer J

Did everyone take antivirals for their shingles?

Curious people wrote they just had it once or a couple of times. I'm crashed and need to research all this. If so i have it I'm past the 48 hour window yet within the 72 hour window to have best results with antivirals.

Just diagnosed with it, yet not sure if urgent care doctor has it right, it looks a lot like my cases of cellulitis I've had. Only one mark on my chest. I've had my cellulitis near here too and have had impetigo near where it is.

Concerned cause I'm not well at all these days (my ME/CFS and more) and don't tolerate things (angioedema). Don't want to take an antiviral if not needed.

Interesting, I cut back first time in 16 years on my Allegra, 2 days ago and this happened that day. Not sure if correlation (mention cause I take Allegra and Zantac all year 24/7 for my angioedema).

And yes, had chicken pox as a kid.