• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Canary: AUSTRALIA’S STATE AND SERVICES ARE TRAPPING A WOMAN LIVING WITH SEVERE ME/CFS IN DOMESTIC ABUSE

Countrygirl

https://www.thecanary.co/.../05/03/me-cfs-anna-australia/

AUSTRALIA’S STATE AND SERVICES ARE TRAPPING A WOMAN LIVING WITH SEVERE ME/CFS IN DOMESTIC ABUSE

AND THEY KEEP PASSING THE BUCK​

Hannah Sharland
A woman living with severe myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) in Australia is desperately appealing for help to leave an abusive household.

The neglect and abuse the Australian state, healthcare system, disability, and domestic violence support services have routinely subjected her to has created a perfect storm – trapping her in this indefensible situation.

Her appalling and increasingly life-threatening circumstances underscores the systemic failure of services and support for both ME/CFS and domestic violence.

Layers of chronic illness: severe ME/CFS and long Covid​

Anna – a person living with very severe myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) living in Melbourne – is urgently seeking help to escape domestic abuse. She reached out to the Canary and hopes that telling her story will draw attention to her critical situation.

ME/CFS is a chronic systemic neuroimmune disease which impacts at least 65 million people worldwide. The devastating disease affects nearly every system in the body. It causes day-to-day flu-like symptoms, cognitive impairment, body-wide different forms of pain, as well as multiple dysfunctions impacting blood pressure, the heart, lungs, and digestive system. However, this is a non-exhaustive list.

Crucially, post-exertional-malaise (PEM) is the hallmark symptom of ME/CFS, which entails a disproportionate worsening of many of these symptoms after even minimal physical or mental activities.

Anna has lived with ME/CFS for over 20 years. Like many living with ME/CFS, Anna also deals with a number of other debilitating chronic illnesses. These include endometriosis, hypothyroidism, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), and adrenal disease, among others.