• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Canary: A PACE TRIAL AUTHOR WILL PUSH GRADED EXERCISE THERAPY WITH A TWIST AT BACME’S 2024 CONFERENCE

Countrygirl

https://thechroniccollaboration.com/bacme-conference-2024/

A PACE TRIAL AUTHOR WILL PUSH GRADED EXERCISE THERAPY WITH A TWIST AT BACME’S 2024 CONFERENCE​

PUBLISHED BY
HANNAH SHARLAND
ON
MAY 7, 2024
📷

Listen to this article
9 min
Listen to this article
9 min
The controversial British Association of Clinicians in ME/CFS (BACME) is hosting a virtual conference on Thursday 16 May. So naturally, the psychiatric lobby is taking the opportunity to peddle its latest gaslighting gimmick: graded exercise therapy – but this time – in the great outdoors!
It’s that and more psychologising shenaningans to come at its upcoming schmooze-day.

BAVINTON AT BACME 2024​

As I previously wrote for the Canary, BACME essentially:
exists to underpin ME clinics and their clinicians operating across the UK. In January 2021, it registered as a charity. Currently, the non-profit has around 200 professional members who pay yearly fees. It regularly hosts webinars and conferences for these members to network and exchange knowledge.BACME boasts that its charitable objective is the “relief of sickness for the public benefit”.However, its laudable-sounding aims obfuscate a contentious history in upholding a harmful status quo. For one, the organisation was the machination of notorious members of a lobby of medical professionals hell-bent on psychologising the chronic systemic disease. Members of the ME community sometimes refer to them as the “biopsychosocial” or “psych” lobby.Specifically, at its outset, professor Esther Crawley chaired the group. Crawley has a prolific record of endorsing treatments geared towards a psychosomatic basis for the disease. These include graded exercise therapy (GET) and cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT).
Notably, the organisation has been host to a number of prominent acolytes of the psychiatric lobby. You can read more about the psychiatric lobby here.
Now, BACME is set to host a virtual conference. Unsurprisingly, it will be platforming another notorious member of the psychiatric lobby. PACE trial co-author and prolific proponent of GET Jessica Bavinton will bring the long-favoured psychologising treatment to the conference. However, this time, she’s peddling GET with a devious twist.

‘ADVENTURE THERAPY’​

Physiotherapists and Bavinton supervised patients participating in GET during the junk PACE trial.

Bavinton also has a private fatigue clinic company – Vitality 360 – which purportedly treats people living with ME. As I recently reported for the Canary:
Tellingly, the company’s core focus is on ‘rehabilitation’ – or in other words, getting people living with chronic conditions back to work. So of course, insurance companies aren’t amiss among its clients.
So what is she doing at the BACME conference?........................................

Wishful

They'll keep coming back with variations as long as it benefits them. If not "outdoors", then it will be "with a teddybear" or "with flowers" ... the list is pretty much endless.

I do my physical activities outdoors--in woodlands undisturbed for decades, with no other people or sounds of machinery--and that doesn't make a difference for my ME.