• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Benefits of Oral Rehydration on Orthostatic Intolerance in Children with Postural Tachycardia Syndrome

Pendergast

Spain
I read Cort's article, bought the oral rehydration solution and did some challenges.

I don't have POTS but drinking the solution during a big effort, decreases notably the PEM during the next days. (Less muscle pain, flu-like symptoms, fatigue...).

For me it worked and it's cheap here in Spanish Pharmas (about 3€ for 5L)

BrightCandle

I have been using electrolyte drinks (SIS) for about a year and gradually my POTS has reduced. I recently moved to O.R.S which according to them follows the WHO recommendation and that has got rid of most of it if I take a few doses a day. I rate electrolyte replacement as a mechanism for improving POTS, I had really bad effects from it this time last year but slowly but surely it has improved with treatment. Wasn't as quick as the papers suggest for me but I was only doing once a day for a while with SIS and I often felt the need (and did) to combine with glucose since it is artificial sweetener based. 2-3 doses a day I think is necessary to make good progress for me.

Good to see the science matching my own experience of it anyway.