• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tenofovir Alafenamide anyone?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have used tenofovir with some success a few years back.
Tenofovir Alafenamide seems to be a stronger drug and less side effects from what I've read.
Also has good effects on ebv, I'm guessing other herpes virus, plus a good response from the older version tenofovir, I might see something from this??
Interested to hear from others who have tried it and their response to it?
I've read some older posts on it here and it sounds promising going by research, although not alot of people have tried it from what I can see.

Valcyte seems to help but symptoms return straight away for me, plus the cost isn't sustainable either. The new tenofovir Alafenamide is like $42 a month, woohoo.

Cheers

godlovesatrier

Do you have a link to the less side effects and does that relate to kidney function?

Dr Chia and Dr Weir both found that tenofovir works for 33% of patients. So we'll worth everyone trying it if they can I think.

heapsreal

Do you have a link to the less side effects and does that relate to kidney function?

Dr Chia and Dr Weir both found that tenofovir works for 33% of patients. So we'll worth everyone trying it if they can I think.

I don't have it on hand but if you google both versions against each other you should get some answers. It appears to be less kidney and liver stress which I try to mitigate with astragalus for kidneys and nac for liver.
When I was on the older version of tenofovir which I took fir atleast a year, I saw no negative changes in blood work.

Shanti1

Administrator
I have used tenofovir with some success a few years back.
Tenofovir Alafenamide seems to be a stronger drug and less side effects from what I've read.
Valcyte seems to help but symptoms return straight away for me, plus the cost isn't sustainable either. The new tenofovir Alafenamide is like $42 a month, woohoo.
Thanks @heapsreal I think I'm going to give it a try as well. I've had a good response to valacyclovir but will start to relapse after even a couple of days if I don't take it. I'm also finding that lymph node swelling and other EBV type symptoms can "breakthrough" if I stress my system.

Shanti1

Administrator
Tenofovir prodrugs potently inhibit Epstein-Barr virus lytic DNA replication by targeting the viral DNA polymerase. Drosu NC, Edelman ER, Housman DE. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2020 Jun 2;117(22):12368-12374.

Current antivirals for EBV have shown limited clinical utility due to low potency or high toxicity, leaving open the need for potent antivirals suitable for long-term prophylaxis. In the present study, we show that tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF) and tenofovir alafenamide (TAF), drugs with excellent safety profiles used clinically for HIV prevention, inhibit EBV lytic DNA replication, with respective IC50 values of 0.30 μM and 84 nM. In a cell-based assay, TAF was 35- and 24-fold and TDF was 10- and 7-fold more potent than acyclovir and penciclovir, respectively, and TAF was also twice as potent as ganciclovir...

...In contrast to acyclovir, treatment of cells during latency for 24 h with TAF still inhibited EBV lytic DNA replication at 72 h after drug was removed. Our results suggest that tenofovir prodrugs may be particularly effective as inhibitors of EBV lytic reactivation

Tenofovir as a treatment option for multiple sclerosis. Torkildsen Ø, Myhr KM, Skogen V, Steffensen LH, Bjørnevik K.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2020 Nov;46:102569.

Some antiretroviral medications are also inhibitors of EBV. We describe a patient with highly active MS who was infected with HIV and started HIV-treatment containing tenofovir alafenamide (TAF), a potent inhibitor of EBV lytic reactivation. Her MS was in complete remission during this treatment, and she had new radiological disease activity again after switching to tenofovir disoproxil fumarate, a HIV drug with less potent activity against EBV replication. Based on the recently detected mechanism of TDF and TAF, we suggest that further studies on these drugs in MS are warranted.

godlovesatrier

my question is does it hit cmv? I've been messed around by medichecks lately and have had to reschedule my cmv test four times! But I believe I am getting it next week or the end of the month.

Even so I am expecting to have fairly high titers based on a previous elisa test.

This drug does look superior to the valtrex option though and I am not surprised it's more potent than famvir, famvir seemed to struggle to clear my ebv I noticed.

heapsreal

my question is does it hit cmv? I've been messed around by medichecks lately and have had to reschedule my cmv test four times! But I believe I am getting it next week or the end of the month.

Even so I am expecting to have fairly high titers based on a previous elisa test.

This drug does look superior to the valtrex option though and I am not surprised it's more potent than famvir, famvir seemed to struggle to clear my ebv I noticed.

I couldn't stop famvir while on tenofovir or I'd decline. Personal experience not as strong as famvir but tenofovir Alafenamide is stronger than regular tenofovir, so who knows, worth a try.

heapsreal

My Tenofovir alafenamide arrived today and I just took my first dose. @heapsreal have you started yours yet? anything to report?
Yes been on maybe 3 weeks. Headache intensity I think is down. But cant pin point anything directly to the TA yet.
I'm going through other issues with my knee that are stopping me from work, so distracted I guess. Maybe abit more lethargy as I'm starting some adrenal supps to help pep me up. Nothing I can say is standing out yet.
Keep us updated on how you go with it all too👍