• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Taxifolin (Aka Russian Rejuvenator, Dihydroquercetin)

ChrisD

Tried Taxifolin along side Oxymatrine for enteroviral M.E. But have reacted negatively.

Oxymatrine I had been on for 2 months and it was going well in that there had been a positive shift to feeling marginally better and sleeping more etc.

Added Taxifolin as recommended by some people to aid the effect on the embedded virus. I have reacted negatively to quercetin before in that it gives me hypnic jerks - so I was cautious but thought that the different structure of DHQ might be different.

And I guess the effect has been different in that it seems to have temporarily stopped me from getting stage 4 deep sleep for about 5 nights - so I'm a zombie. All from one half of a capsule.

I wonder if anyone might have a hypothesis on why this might be? @Hip hop

Human guinea pigs we are.

Hip

I wonder if anyone might have a hypothesis on why this might be? @Hip hop

I had really terrible side effects from dihydroquercetin (DHQ) 40 mg daily. I took DHQ for some days, and it triggered one of the worse bouts of mild psychosis I have had for years, which took days clear up. It was really horrible.

I later figured out that DHQ (and quercetin too) is an adenosine receptor antagonist like caffeine, and the adenosine system is thought to play a role in schizophrenia. So that could explain my mild psychosis symptoms.

The sleep disruption you are experiencing may also be due to this same adenosine antagonism.

I previously found myself with quercetin that its stimulant effects last for over 24 hours. So you can think of quercetin and DHQ as a long-lasting version of caffeine.

ChrisD

I had really terrible side effects from dihydroquercetin (DHQ) 40 mg daily. I took DHQ for some days, and it triggered one of the worse bouts of mild psychosis I have had for years, which took days clear up. It was really horrible.

I later figured out that DHQ (and quercetin too) is an adenosine receptor antagonist like caffeine, and the adenosine system is thought to play a role in schizophrenia. So that could explain my mild psychosis symptoms.

The sleep disruption you are experiencing may also be due to this same adenosine antagonism.

I previously found myself with quercetin that its stimulant effects last for over 24 hours. So you can think of quercetin and DHQ as a long-lasting version of caffeine.

Sorry to hear that you had a nasty experience too, at least we might help someone else!

Do you know if there are any solutions to the adenosine issue? Are there any lists or threads on this forum that might be useful to me?

Hip

Do you know if there are any solutions to the adenosine issue?

I will not touch DHQ myself again.

I guess stimulating adenosine receptors might help counter the adenosine antagonism of DHQ. Below are my notes on substances that act on adenosine receptors.

Adenosine Reuptake Inhibitors:

Inosine (also an adenosine A3 receptor agonist)

Acetic acid

Progesterone

Ethanol

Hydroxyzine

Tricyclic antidepressants

Propentofylline — may be helpful for schizophrenia. 1

Dipyridamole — may help schizophrenia. 1 2

Allopurinol (gout drug) it inhibits purine degradation and subsequently increases adenosine levels. Helpful in schizophrenia. 1

More: Adenosine reuptake inhibitor - Wikipedia

Adenosine Receptor Agonists:

Inosine (adenosine A3 receptor agonist)

D-Limonene (adenosine A2A receptor agonist) — also a potent anti-anxiety, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory (dose 1,000 mg to 3,000 mg per day) 1

More: Adenosine receptor agonist - Wikipedia

Adenosine A2A Receptor Agonists

D-limonene (half-life 12 to 24 hours, oral bioavailability of D-limonene 43%)

Cannabidiol

Zeatin riboside

Sake yeast (a type of Saccharomyces cerevisiae) activates A2A receptor. 1

More: Adenosine A2A receptor - Wikipedia

Allosteric Modulators of Adenosine Receptors

Amiloride is an allosteric inhibitor of antagonist binding at A1, A2 and A3 adenosine receptor. 1 So amiloride in effect acts like an agonist.

Adenosine Receptor Antagonists

Quercetin antagonist at A1 adenosine receptor. 1

Quercetin is an adenosine receptor antagonist (similar to caffeine), with a Ki value of approximately 2.5μM. Although this is approximately 10-fold more potent than caffeine (25μM) quercetin has failed to confer caffeine like effects when orally dosed at 200mg (despite caffeine being active). This is thought to be related to the poor neural bioavailability of quercetin. 1

Caffeine antagonises all adenosine receptors: A1, A2A, A2B and A3. 1

pattismith

I will not touch DHQ myself again.

I guess stimulating adenosine receptors might help counter the adenosine antagonism of DHQ. Below are my notes on substances that act on adenosine receptors.
thank you for these synthese!

I don't see any Adenosine A1 agonist in it, so I may suggest Tianeptine:

https://www.nature.com/articles/1301143
Interstingly, Tianeptine at the same time has Adenosine A2 antagonism activity (and agomelatine as well)!

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S173411401830611X
However, the dosage may be a problem because high dose Tianeptine induced psychosis has been noted;