• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Talking and deep breathing are harder then typing

Does anyone else find it less energy consuming to type as opposed to talking? I’m often down to nods and shakes of the head now when communicating in person but can type a paragraph with more ease.

It’s a different issue from cognition as it doesn’t necessarily co-incident with brain fog - I can have something to say regardless but speaking it is more tiring then typing it. It can be very hard to bring myself to speak it out loud as it requires more effort/exertion, I feel the strain throughout my body when talking but much less so when typing.

I’m also aware that I find deep breaths hard to do. One reason why I don’t like meditating, also why I find it harder to breathe wearing face masks. My bloating may be the, or one of the reasons for this.

It’s ‘funny’ that my cognition can be OK sometimes and my body much less so, or vice versa.

What’s going on here?

Last edited:

lenora

Hi @MarkRichardson.....What's going on is basic ME. I simply can't take any phone calls after say 3-4:00 p.m. due to the fact that I can no longer talk. I just had to stop for a few reasons, some of which you've outlined above.

The reason: Who really knows? Muscles tire, allergies make my situation horrible and they can also contribute to breathing problems. I love the outdoors, have a great porch but find it's foolish to use it at this time of year. Pollen, piles of it, are everywhere and I'm grossly affected. My husband, also.

In the late fall and winter I'm allergic to molds and while our house is clean, one really can't avoid them in the atmosphere.

I've tried so many different things....and continue to this day. Allergies can be like a super-bad cold, often sinus problems accompany them, throat problems and, as you said, the breathing. Infections can occur and it gets tiresome to keep going back and forth to the doctor for the same problem. Also, I hate to admit it, but they make me an unpleasant person....try as I may. It's just an overload, too much of one. I end up with a bad case of bronchitis at least once/yr. Talk to your pharmacist (not the people behind the counter, the support staff) and tell him/her your exact symptoms. They're often extremely helpful and I can then buy OTC meds to try. Yours, L.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Talking uses so much energy both with brain fog and the exertion of trying to push the air out. (I do much better with email type messaging.)

My lungs and rib cage feel very constricted. I think that's why I survive on shallow breathing with a sigh breath every once in a while.

I've always had a hard time when I've tried breathing exercises. They're very uncomfortable for me to do.

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

speaking it is more tiring then typing it.

totally agree

I feel the strain throughout my body when talking but much less so when typing.

totally agree

I’m also aware that I find deep breaths hard to do

between "air hunger" and poor aerobic condition....totally agree

I can breathe more deeply, slowly when I rest.

why I find it harder to breathe wearing face masks.

I'm literally suffocating in a face mask plus my eyes are baked. Unbearable really. I have managed to last one hour. I"m supposed to go see my daughter, a five hour flight and a mask is impossible. It just is.

And if I need to speak to someone wiht a mask on? Oh ...thats the next impossible problem.

What’s going on here?

in my case, my throat is often the center of my whole problem, and I:m very hoarse, Sjogrens is in my throat and center of my tongue: often I cannot swallow anything dry. Ever.

so its because of throat, eyes, brain..and then all that is hoooked together.

Rufous McKinney

I've always had a hard time when I've tried breathing exercises. They're very uncomfortable for me to do.

my ONE visit to Physical Therapist-......(for the next appointment, one week later, I can't show up because I"m in an unplanned crash, and that ended my Physical Therapy)

She recommended I just lie on the floor, arms out a bit to the side...and just do slow deep breathing. Nothing else.

She felt this could very gradually improve some of the core strength etc with out overtaxing my ME system.

Now I did mean to do more of that. But I sort of didn't do it much, really ....True Confessions.

But definately would have to pace even slow breathing. If its at all forced.

lenora

A thought for help with breathing: You can buy a device called a Valodyne (?) at the medical supply store. It's a blue tube and a plastic container attached.

I have old ones from hospital visits and it's absolutely wonderful for helping with ribs that won't move, (not breathing properly makes this worse) and keeping our lungs inflated. I'm not saying it will help you talk any longer, but it's a really useful tool. So if you happen to go to the hospital for anything and a respiratory therapist is used (I kept mine from surgeries), take it home....they'll let you as they aren't reusable.