• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

taking glucosamine for fatigue. glyconutrients

gumman123

Hi all
So I have bee taking chitosan- which is n acetyl glucosamine, and glucosamine extracted from crustacean shells- for a few days, and feeling better on it. Glucosamine is one of the eight essential sugars that we make from glucose in the body, and it is marketed as a joint supplement however it is in all cells of our body. it, and mannose are two of the first sugars added to the glyco protein chain and all our proteins are glyco proteins. So glucosamine benefits every cell in the body not just joints. I never had joint problems but had muscle, and brain problems. The hexosamine pathway is how we make glucosamine in the body. if glucosamine food dogs is googled websites come up saying the food sources of it. The best one seems to be chicken feet which some butchers sell cheap. It is in the cartilage part of the feet. Chicken cartilage is 5% glucosamine where as shark cartilage is only 1-2% glucosamine, and chicken feet are a lot cheaper than shark cartilage. I will be getting some chicken feet soon.

the 8 essential sugars are
glucose- in all plant foods. some in animal products in the form of glycogen
n acetyl glucosamine. part of the glycosaminoglycan heperan sulfate. high in chicken feet, pigs ear, beef trachea (last two sold as dog treats), prawns/crap/lobster shells which is where chitosan, and glucosamine supplements come from
mannose- high in guar gum
galactose- high in guar gum and gum arabic
n acetyl galactosamine - part of choindroitin and dermatan sulfate glycosaminoglycans. high in shark cartilage, green lipped mussels, chicken feet, beef trachea, pigs ear
n acetyl neuraminic acid aka sialic acid. high in cheddar cheese
fucose- high in all sea weeds
xylose- high in psyllium husk

these 2 are known to be absorbed but their metabolism is only partly known
arabinose- high in psyllium husk, gum arabic
rhamnose- high in beet root, apricots.

myrrh, and frankincence gums have a number of them too

gumman123

Neither. I used to look at it a lot in the shops, and saw how it says for joints, arthritis, etc on it, and thought well I don't have those problems so I won't take it. I wished I tried it earlier now. Goes to show how deceptive marketing can be.

prioris

it's essentially chondroitin sulfate ... GAGs ... heparin
better to take biocell hyaluronic acid and doctors best brand lumbrokinase

gumman123

Yep.
Chondroitin sulate (CS) contains n acetyl galactosamine though not glucosamine
I did some research on cartilage content of GAGS
shark cartilage is 4-30% CS, 1-2% glucosamine
chicken sternum cartilage 20-30% CS, 10% hyalauronic acid, 4% glucosamine
I am going to try chicken sternum cartilage soon for the hyaluronic acid and see how that goes.

Hip

So I have bee taking chitosan- which is n acetyl glucosamine, and glucosamine extracted from crustacean shells- for a few days, and feeling better on it.

Are you taking N-acetyl-glucosamine (NAG) or chitosan? Chitosan is a polymer of NAG. NAG has shown benefits for multiple sclerosis, and I found NAG very effective at combatting anxiety (see here).

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
@gumman123 Are you still testing essential sugars? If you are up to posting, could you say how you like the supplements compared to using various kinds of cooked cartilage?

Thanks very much. :)

gumman123

I took it for a while then stopped for a bit now am taking shark cartilage and chicken sternum cartilage. Ordered some bovine trachea cartilage powder from China too. The essential sugars are worth a try for anyone sick. Cartilage is the highest food source of GAGs so it is great too. And New Zealand green lipped mussels have 300mg chondroitin sulfate per 100g, have been studied a lot for joints/muscles/cartilage, and taste nice.

Tendons connect muscles to bone ligaments connect bone to bone. The intermediate tissue between each of those and bone is enthesis which is made of fibro cartilage so cartilage is super important for muscle and tendon function not just coating on the bone joints, in the rib cage, and all the other places it is which can be found on google images. Chicken feet and necks provide cartilage bone tendons etc too. And chicken gizzards provide cartilage also.