• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Symptoms of a wet macular bleed - one time to seek help swiftly

sianrecovery

I've posted this in the Lyme section too - and am also posting it here because of the potential for a wet macular bleed to strike anyone. We get used to managing our illness - but sudden changes in vision always deserve a swift response. I nearly left getting help too late because years of ME have hardened me to weird shit happening. Hence I made this film to try and raise awareness and help prevent preventable vision loss. My ophthalmologist tells me he often sees patients who've left it too to be effectively treated. I now have lucentis shots every few weeks, and have so far preserved vision in the affected eye.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@sianrecovery - this is great information, thanks for posting! My mother had wet macular degeneration and eventually lost the ability to read, and reading was a love of hers. This happened around 17 years ago, before this treatment was available. I'm going to pass this on to the rest of my family as I know genetics play a role here, but also as the doctor mentioned, smoking is a big risk factor, and she smoked until her early 60's, so I'm guessing that played a big role in developing WMD.