• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Susceptibility of the Human Retrovirus XMRV to Antiretroviral Inhibitors

ballard

Can someone get access to the above article and tell us what is says.
It is by Dusty Miller from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center in Seattle on Medscape.

Just a quick skim of 6 pgs or so of continual techno-jargon.... In laymen's terms... they have ID'd a broader range of potential antiretrovirals/ candidate Rxs than previously "appreciated"... made other important discoveries.. technical hows of inhibition, receptor sites, etc.. Their analysis resolves disparities among earlier reports... (Rxs thought to be resisted - which in adequate amt X is not resistant to) So... to rephrase their statement, i.e. not violate copyright...just in case X is found to be the culprit/disease causing in humans... there are now more Rxs from which to choose. I did not see mention of CFS specifically..... (induced infection of) breast cancer cells/ and prostate were mentioned... unless I missed something. Also the triple therapy Dr Jamie & dtr are using apparently were shown not to be very effective in other earlier studies.. but ARE in fact, if dosage is adjusted.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
http://www.retrovirology.com/content/7/1/70
Background
XMRV (xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus) is the first known example of an exogenous gammaretrovirus that can infect humans. A limited number of reports suggest that XMRV is intrinsically resistant to many of the antiretroviral drugs used to treat HIV-1 infection, but is sensitive to a small subset of these inhibitors. In the present study, we used a novel marker transfer assay to directly compare the antiviral drug sensitivities of XMRV and HIV-1 under identical conditions in the same host cell type.
Results
We extend the findings of previous studies by showing that, in addition to AZT and tenofovir, XMRV and HIV-1 are equally sensitive to AZddA (3'-azido-2',3'-dideoxyadenosine), AZddG (3'-azido-2',3'-dideoxyguanosine) and adefovir. These results indicate that specific 3'-azido or acyclic nucleoside analog inhibitors of HIV-1 reverse transcriptase (RT) also block XMRV infection with comparable efficacy in vitro. Our data confirm that XMRV is highly resistant to the non-nucleoside RT inhibitors nevirapine and efavirenz and to inhibitors of HIV-1 protease. In addition, we show that the integrase inhibitors raltegravir and elvitegravir are active against XMRV, with EC50 values in the nanomolar range.
Conclusions
Our analysis demonstrates that XMRV exhibits a distinct pattern of nucleoside analog susceptibility that correlates with the structure of the pseudosugar moiety and that XMRV is sensitive to a broader range of antiretroviral drugs than has previously been reported. We suggest that the divergent drug sensitivity profiles of XMRV and HIV-1 are partially explained by specific amino acid differences in their respective protease, RT and integrase sequences. Our data provide a basis for choosing specific antiretroviral drugs for clinical studies in XMRV-infected patients.

Enci

+XMRV+
Thanks for posting this. I am excited at the tantalizing possibility of one day feeling better! I know it will be awhile before we have anything that looks like a generally approved protocol, but if this illness hasn't taught me patience, it hasn't taught me anything :)