• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplements you take?

Do you take supplements each day?

• Yes

Votes: 33 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I used to but got bad reactions

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I believe we don't need them because of a good diet

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other (please give further info)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ljimbo423

I would think it would absorb nutrients and vitamins also....

That's possible, that's why I take it on an empty stomach, away from supplements and meals.

Do you use it when when you anticipate an LPS dump? or mostly just all the time...?

I take 3 grams every day. I almost always feel better after I take it, often with a very noticeable increase in energy.

bertiedog

Did you notice an increase in energy from charcaol?

No I didn't notice this. My dose was probably quite small around 2 capsules to help stop the loose bowels rather than taking Immodium. I cannot remember how effective it actually was but my new supply has arrived today so will see how it goes next time my IBS reverts back to loose bowels.

Some tried and tested supplements for me that definitely help with an increase in energy and stamina are the L Carnitine as mentioned above, 250 mg (but only on occasions) and also my current go to is half a capsule of a high strength Cordyceps. I get a sense a well-being from it too.

For the first few hours of being up today I felt terrible because I had overdone the physical bit yesterday but took the half a tab of Cordycep with my first cup of tea and by 11.15 started to notice some energy and things turned around for me from then onwards and I had a good 25 minute walk this afternoon and felt a whole lot better. I feel sure this was due to the Cordycep because I notice the difference when I don't take it. The usual downside is inability to drop off to sleep fairly frequently with it and I might have to resort to a bit of Rivotril to get to sleep.

Daily I take B2, 50 mg, B1 25 mg, B6 50 mg and at the moment one Thorne's Basic Nutrients all for ATP together with 100 mg Q10, gentle Vitamin C 1000 mg, 2000 mg D3. Some days I add in vitamin A and E. Another supplement is Macusave taken away from the above for eye health and also Glucosamine and Chrondroitin plus Hyauloric Acid to help with arthritis.

The minerals I take are Zinc 30mg, magnesium citrate and glycinate amount varies but around 500 mg, 300 mg calcium citrate and selenium 200 most days. I think that is it but might have forgotten something.

I am off now to do a Genova webinar on the Commensal bacteria in the microbiome.

Pam

Mary

Moderator Resource
my current go to is half a capsule of a high strength Cordyceps.
Would you mind posting the name/brand of cordyceps you're taking? I've been using cordyceps from Bulk Supplements. I think it's helping me a little but would be interested to know if there is a more effective product - thanks!

bertiedog

bertiedog

Of the many supplements I tried, none worked well if I took them daily. If they had a positive effect, it would disappear after a few days or weeks. Iodine or T2 still work for me, but not if taken daily; once every 21 days works for me. All the other supplements that I still have, I take occasionally, since I have them, but they never have a significant effect.

I am pretty sure this would be my experience too but for the fact I was lucky here in the UK that I was able to get my adrenals and thyroid treated which made a massive difference to my quality of life. A bit of oestrogen and DHEA helps too.

Pam

Wishful

Last night the supplement bottles caught my eye, so I decided to take some, as I do occasionally. The unusual thing this time was that I took them just before going to bed. I slept longer, with fewer wake-ups, and felt more rested than usual when I awoke. I'm going to have to experiment more, to see if I can repeat the sleep improvement.

The insight is: the time of day you take a supplement may affect how, and how well, it works. So, if you've tried some supplements with no effect, maybe give them another try at a different time of day.

Plum

I used to take a lot more. I have tried A LOT over the 10 years I've been very ill. And I have reacted to a lot!
I now take:
simple, high strength probiotic
3.5g omega 3 per day
vitamin C in the form calcium ascorbate
vitamin E
high dose vitamin D

I try to buy the cleanest supplements I can. Fewest fillers etc. My diet is deficient in everything I supplement with hence why I take it.

Hi 👋

Megadose vitamin c helped me recover from glandular fever / EBV. I had 15,000 mg IV twice a week. I don’t know how good this is in the long run for your liver etc but definitely during a flu or infection it works wonders. I read a study that Vitamin C is toxic to viruses I decided to try it intravenously - I made sure I drank lots of water before and after to help my liver digest it. I try to do one every month regardless.

I take the below daily and focus on antioxidants and reducing oxidative stress. As you can see I really like Bioceuticals and I find they are extremely effective.

- Bioceuticals Ubiquinol CoQ10 Enzyme
- 1000mcg vitamin C + iron
- Bioceuticals Multivitamin Antioxidants (A, C & E + zinc and selenium)
- Bioceuticals Ultramuscle-eze (B6 & Magnesium)
- Bioceuticals Vitamin D3 (I am very deficient & this raised my levels from 45 to 75) - 3 drops in water at night after dinner
- Thorne B complex (easy to digest and notice increase in energy, take them with my breakfast) some B complexes have given me awful nausea and tingling in my nerves!

It may sound like a fair bit but it has worked for my body and I find it’s really effective.

Wishful

*sigh* The better sleep following the before bedtime supplements seems to have been a one-off experience. I tried it again, with no improvement in sleep. Maybe I responded once to the boost. Maybe there was some other unknowable factor in play. Given the mystery of ME, we can't rule out odd but possible factors such as thinking happy thoughts at 1:45 PM, or a scary dream segment at 2:15 AM.

I was so hoping that I'd found a way to better sleep... :(

bertiedog

I was so hoping that I'd found a way to better sleep... :(

Sorry to hear it was just a one-off, I think we all know that one!

What does definitely seem to help with the energy and sense of well-being for me is 1 Cordyceps with breakfast. Takes a few hours to kick in but have better stamina and sense of well-being. Still get a slump after doing too much but recover after 3-4 hours and can then go for a walk ok.

Going to do a post about what has been causing my horrendous gut issues the past year.

Pam

The insight is: the time of day you take a supplement may affect how, and how well, it works. So, if you've tried some supplements with no effect, maybe give them another try at a different time of day.

I was bummed to scroll down and see you changed your mind on this - or I guess your body changed it for you. I have been experimenting with the time of day moves myself and somehow think it has helped to move them a bit. But it's only been a week or so of moving the time around, so could just be I'm so tired right now with holiday and still working that just remembering them at all seems like I've accomplished something.

Vit D - moved from 7.6 to 80 over the last year. This was immensely helpful for the heavy leg issue I was having and it also caused some weight loss, which was welcome as I had gained weight for no reason a few years back and it stuck. This was the first weight loss I had since. I hardly eat so it's not calories. I also felt less turgid if that makes sense. OH this also has greatly effected my menstrual cycle. And did cause intense pain for the first two months of taking it - but seems once I got my level high enough it eased up.

Vit C liposomal - all the other forms (pills and powders) just kept making my gastric distress worse.

Carnitine liposomal actually knocks me out. I initially started this in the morning expecting/ hoping for a little bit of energy but it wiped me out hard. Now I take this at night and I'm sleeping through.

I also like to suck on these elderberry/ zinc lozenges I buy. I do find they help with sore throat and today even seemed to relieve some of the pressure I'm having from what I suspect is a swollen lymph node. Of course, who knows. At least they taste good.

Wishful

I was bummed to scroll down and see you changed your mind on this - or I guess your body changed it for you.

I didn't change my mind: I still think when you take a supplement can affect how effective it is. It's just that whatever worked that time wasn't repeatable. Maybe there's another factor that I didn't notice. Maybe it requires a certain level of deficiency in one of the supplements. I'll have to try again in a few months.

It's so uplifting when we suddenly feel a bit better, and then depressing when we find that we can't figure out how to repeat it. :(

It's so uplifting when we suddenly feel a bit better, and then depressing when we find that we can't figure out how to repeat it. :(

Beyond true - I can't decide which deflates me more.... the fact I can't repeat it or that I got my hope up when after so many years I should really know better. But at least I know enough now to enjoy the upswing in the moment, instead of mind wrestling how I got there. Plenty of time to do that when the moment passes.

tiredowl

I find very little help from most supplements, meaning that I still feel severe fatigue... but generally Q10 and Thiamine has been somewhat helpful.

I still would like to try some more supplements, but I have kind of given up on this, because of the lack of results.